SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2005
16 Posts
Discussion
which esc

I'm changing at brushed motor set up in my boat to brushless. I have a 3 pole motor from a stryker rc plane that I want to use. I tried a 40 amp esc and it heated up and cooked. Which size esc should I use for this motor.
sansouci01 is offline Find More Posts by sansouci01
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:15 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Was this esc meant for brushless?
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,915 Posts
No idea.....what (size) motor is it? What is it's amp rating? How much pwr is the system drawing. What (size) battery are you using? Did you change anything else besides the motor? Like the previous member post, did you change the esc too or use the same one? A little more info would be helpful.
fly2bob is online now Find More Posts by fly2bob
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
Sansouci 01- Does the speed control need reverse function. M.A.C.K. Products carries several speed controls for brushless motors, internal air cooled and water cooled, forward & reverse, and forward only in several amp draws.

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/Speed%20Controls.htm
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:23 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansouci01 View Post
I'm changing at brushed motor set up in my boat to brushless. I have a 3 pole motor from a stryker rc plane that I want to use. I tried a 40 amp esc and it heated up and cooked. Which size esc should I use for this motor.
What brushed motor are you trying to replace?

Is it this plane?
http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_p..._stryker_c.htm

What sort of boat is it? what size prop are you trying to use? Basically the prop is too big for the motor and/or the voltage is too high. If its the plane in the link then I think the Motor Kv is too high for most boat use.

Getting an answer to these questions will enable some more useful help

Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au