SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:41 AM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
413 Posts
Discussion
Nano-Tech batteries and EDF? Any good?

Looking to buy some extra pack sets and GensAce are all sold out at Hobbypartz.com. Are the 25-50C nano's any good? They appear to be the same cells used in the GA batteries. Almost the same weight, capacities and dimensions etc. I guess it all boils down to the quality of the packs themselves....thanks

Lots of questions as I am new to the higher-power battery systems.
PANTHERFLYR is offline Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERFLYR View Post
Looking to buy some extra pack sets and GensAce are all sold out at Hobbypartz.com. Are the 25-50C nano's any good? They appear to be the same cells used in the GA batteries. Almost the same weight, capacities and dimensions etc. I guess it all boils down to the quality of the packs themselves....thanks

Lots of questions as I am new to the higher-power battery systems.
Based on my own experience, I can't really recommend them..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22170577

Others have said the higher "c" rated ones are better
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
Looking to buy some extra pack sets and GensAce are all sold out at Hobbypartz.com. Are the 25-50C nano's any good? They appear to be the same cells used in the GA batteries.
Many ,well some are saying that Glacier cells are the same as GenAce. Similiar statements have been made for the past 8 years that brands R and brand Z must be the same cells because they are the same physical size and weigh the same.

A pound of Ground Beef and a pound of Ground Serlion and a pound of ground chuck all look a lot alike and all weigh the same. Perhaps it is just me but they all taste different to me.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
i think when it comes to gens ace vs glacier, the construction and look of the pack are very close if not identical, thats why people say they are the same, but only time will tell if the actual cells are decent, and your comparison fits this situation very well Charles.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Last edited by keithy4129; Aug 12, 2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:43 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Try sky lipo if they have em at hobbypartz. They're almost, if not just as good as gens ace in my experience.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Try sky lipo if they have em at hobbypartz. They're almost, if not just as good as gens ace in my experience.
i have read that they are made by the same manufacturer, but i have no Idea, so dont think too much of it
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:28 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
i have read that they are made by the same manufacturer, but i have no Idea, so dont think too much of it
I wouldn't be surprised. They both perform very very well for the money.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised. They both perform very very well for the money.
me either, you would think since there are only so many lipo manufacturers out there that someone would have a list of what manufacturer makes what brand, I have stumbled across a list of what factory manufactures different brands of lead acid batteries, but have not come across this for lipoly's.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
me either, you would think since there are only so many lipo manufacturers out there that someone would have a list of what manufacturer makes what brand, I have stumbled across a list of what factory manufactures different brands of lead acid batteries, but have not come across this for lipoly's.
Yeah...but even within the same factory I'm sure they sell different quality batteries. There's always going to be top notch batteries, the not-quite-perfect batteries, and the duds from a given manufacturer.. So like HK has nanotechs, zippy's, and the b-grade batteries...probably something like that.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:30 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Yeah...but even within the same factory I'm sure they sell different quality batteries. There's always going to be top notch batteries, the not-quite-perfect batteries, and the duds from a given manufacturer.. So like HK has nanotechs, zippy's, and the b-grade batteries...probably something like that.
That's one reason I like HobbyKing. They sell all of them. Those who claim to sell only "top quality" only under so manyt different brand names may quite likely sell a bit of everything as well. At least, with HK, you know what you're getting, and sure enough, you pay less for it because of that. Much better than thinking you get awesome batteries, paying too much for them, and then, finding out, they are only so-so batteries.

That being said, HK is a bit of a lottery still. You do get the odd duds, but more often than not, you really get decent batteries for the price. I find that I get the performance, but usually less cycles out of the batteries. Still, price wise, I'm getting more than my money back. But hey, I like the Rhino battery too, so I must be sick!

No matter what, you should enjoy HK batteries while you can. Soon enough, with all the regulations, we won't be able to get them anymore.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,793 Posts
They are made by the same manufacturer, Dongguan Chineng Electronic Technology Co., Ltd., though each model is a little bit different. In fact, I'm relatively sure Dongguan makes all HK batteries.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,793 Posts
BTW, never had any problems with my Nano-techs at all. Just about all lipos are from China no matter what label they stick on them.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post

No matter what, you should enjoy HK batteries while you can. Soon enough, with all the regulations, we won't be able to get them anymore.
Just move south to the states

HK has a USA warehouse, and that should be fine.
If the gov decides not to allow shipping of Lipos even within the states, then I guess that's the day my wife wins
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
Just move south to the states

HK has a USA warehouse, and that should be fine.
If the gov decides not to allow shipping of Lipos even within the states, then I guess that's the day my wife wins
Well, they just very recently started to offer a decent battery choice. There's still way more inventory and choice from the international warehouse, but at least they are getting there. But when I order from HK, I try to get my money worth from shipping as well. So let say I order 3 batteries for 800 grams, and I have to pay for 1Kg shipping, I'll try to add all the odds and ends that we need daily in our hobby. But for the small stuff, the US warehouse still have a LOT of work to do. Almost no small parts (horns, hinges, connectors, plugs, etc), only a handfull of motors or servos, etc. So it's hard to fill the basket with small cheap stuff and offset the extra shipping cost.

But hey, they did improve radically for the batteries recently, so eventually, I guess they will get some decent stock for everything else as well. Not about to move to the US though! Hopefully UPS will still be ok with carrying a few lipos across the boarder!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:07 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
BTW, never had any problems with my Nano-techs at all. Just about all lipos are from China no matter what label they stick on them.
That’s exactly my experience – I have lots of them any they all give excellent life and power. The two brands that I buy these days are Gens Ace and Turnigy nano-tech. The Gens Ace have slightly better performance but have a shorter life. I also like Turnigy battery construction better than Gens Ace. The Gens Ace wires make them a problem to fit into some models.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man