to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 01:58 PM
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Oct 2012
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak35 View Post

You'll soon need to expand the hanger.
Funny you should say that my wife was just saying something along those lines...
TrevorJS is offline Find More Posts by TrevorJS
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:23 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
If they can make a Harvard look like a Zero...

...then it ought to be easy to make a Zero into a Harvard (aka T-6 Texan). And it was.

I doubt I will get round to building this, but here are the modified plans if anyone wants to be a Harvard guinea pig. New wing, tail feathers and some small adjustments to the fuselage and obviously a different canopy.
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:17 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
77 Posts
Fouga Magista - Wingspar

Trevor - hi

I'm currently cutting the correx - to build the Fouga - and seeing as there is no dihedral/wing joiner- is there any reason why i should not rather cut the spar as a 1 pce (1520mm).
What would be the reason to have 2 x pcs.
also
Whats' your feeling about - foam core - as per the Fox - would it improve its lift capabilities.
Cheers
Capetonian is online now Find More Posts by Capetonian
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:52 AM
Joined Oct 2012
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capetonian View Post
Trevor - hi

I'm currently cutting the correx - to build the Fouga - and seeing as there is no dihedral/wing joiner- is there any reason why i should not rather cut the spar as a 1 pce (1520mm).
What would be the reason to have 2 x pcs.
also
Whats' your feeling about - foam core - as per the Fox - would it improve its lift capabilities.
Cheers
Hi Capetonian
Firstly let me say that if I had to build the Fouga MK2 again, I would incorporate some dihedral into the wing (around 60mm) on one side to improve stability a little. I was considering cutting the centre of the wing to re-set the dihedral, but haven't got round to it yet. Secondly, I built it light and with quite a thick airfoil section, which works well on lighter days, but if you expect to fly in stronger wind and want to reduce drag and increase speed, try reducing the spar (airfoil) thickness. I haven't maidened the L39 yet but tried a thinner section for this model starting at 20mm at the root and thinning the spar down to 8mm at the tip to increase speed.

I considered building a one-piece spar, but it would change the airfoil shape by moving the thickest point rearwards from the 1/3 chord position, so kept it 2-piece. I found that joining the carbon spar at an angle in this position quite challenging. The wooden spar is much easier! As for the foam core wing, it makes a big difference to the Foxx and would probably improve the Fouga flight characteristics too (less drag, more speed, better handling). It all depends on how much effort you want to go to, as the traditional method builds much quicker.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:56 AM
Joined Oct 2012
210 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention is that the foam core wing with a nice airfoil would also improve inverted performance of the Fouga, which is quite difficult to manage with the current under-camber flat bottom wing.
Old Aug 05, 2014, 01:39 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,996 Posts
Here is the canopy for my Dora I should have the coro cut later this week. This will be in 12th scale.
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Last edited by NaterPin; Aug 05, 2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2014, 02:22 AM
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin View Post
Here is the canopy for my Dora I should have the coro cut later this week. This will be in 12th scale.
Very nice...esp the gun cover detail. I'd intended to add a cover on mine, but never got round to it...maybe this will convince me to add one. Its a very simple part to make and a distinguishing feature of the FW190.

What are you planning to use for the cowl?
Old Aug 06, 2014, 06:49 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,996 Posts
Here is the start of the cowl I need to make it longer for the glow engine. I also posted pics of other parts.
Last edited by NaterPin; Aug 06, 2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 10:53 AM
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
CorroZero update

I finally got some video footage of the Zero. It also got a small power upgrade, and now flies just like I wanted it to.....very slow and scale like, but with lots of grunt on tap. However, unlike the FW190, it will flick into a spin if you are not vigilant. As mentioned previously, I think that a sloper version would be better off with the thinner wing profile to improve penetration.

Sound and sight on the low, slow passes remind me of the local Harvards that sometimes fly over my house.

Naterpin, did you complete your Dora? It was looking very promising. I hope to get some footage of my 190 soon.

CorroZero (2 min 27 sec)
Last edited by Extreme Sports; Sep 04, 2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 03:36 PM
Joined Dec 2009
77 Posts
Corro Zero

Great Vid - nice flying
Capetonian is online now Find More Posts by Capetonian
Old Sep 06, 2014, 04:40 AM
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
Corro FW190

Here's the video. Enjoy

FW190 short cropped (2 min 3 sec)
Old Sep 07, 2014, 02:15 PM
I'd rather be out sloping...
Joined Jan 2011
1,321 Posts
Very nice! Like the sountrack too!
Jak35 is offline Find More Posts by Jak35
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2014, 07:50 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports View Post
I finally got some video footage of the Zero. It also got a small power upgrade, and now flies just like I wanted it to.....very slow and scale like, but with lots of grunt on tap. However, unlike the FW190, it will flick into a spin if you are not vigilant. As mentioned previously, I think that a sloper version would be better off with the thinner wing profile to improve penetration.

Sound and sight on the low, slow passes remind me of the local Harvards that sometimes fly over my house.

Naterpin, did you complete your Dora? It was looking very promising. I hope to get some footage of my 190 soon.

http://youtu.be/2VtCl4yejfE
It is coming along very good the kids are back in school so I have more time to work on it. The Magnum 25xls mounted. Just need to cut the cowl, put in servos and put on some decals on.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 03:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Caterham
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
I have to admit, that Albatross looks good......

Well done, chaps.
rondavel is offline Find More Posts by rondavel