HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:08 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Well Alex was saying he only sells SMA to keep it simple for the customer, so they can buy adapters. Doesn't sound so simple.
Alex to the best of my knwonleadge is not using 5.8Ghz on a regular basis and of course there are adaptors which may work without too much loss. However what usually can be bought for cheap is most of the time not really working so well. You must know, most RF things are made for frequencies below 3Ghz, so an adaptor that works well for a 2.4Ghz router may forms in fact a nice filter for 5.8Ghz and so on.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:24 AM
Colombia, Bolivar, Cartagena
Joined Nov 2012
259 Posts
Hello Renegade...
Well, I'm not sure te specifics for your needs. But the phantom (I haven't tried it, just read from other users) is a RTF Quad which have all the electronics and functions you need (not sure if RTH), and even they sell the gopro support. So I think it would be very easy to adapt for your needs. Then just put your FPV equipment and you are ready to fly.
Not sure on te endurance, so not sure on flight time, but should be around 8 - 10 minutes which should give you the 3/4 miles.
The 2.4 spektrum receiver should give you that distance too. So, no signal problem there.
An for the video I think 5.8 immersion with SpiroNet's antennas is a easy and good setup to achieve that distance.
Should be very easy to setup. But have to ask reviews about the phantom (dji) to be sure in te endurance and RTH. Also ask if there is a gimbal for that quad if you need to have an stable and easy to move camera. If not and static support will be ok.
Just a note: if you are looking for real good quality photo shoots (or video recording) you will need a very very good camera gimbal with good dampened system, which to be sincere, will cost you as the price of the quad or even more. Just to be clear
Hope this help. CarlosLeq
CarlosLeq is offline Find More Posts by CarlosLeq
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:41 AM
United States, NV, Minden
Joined Apr 2011
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosLeq View Post
Hello Renegade...
Well, I'm not sure te specifics for your needs. But the phantom (I haven't tried it, just read from other users) is a RTF Quad which have all the electronics and functions you need (not sure if RTH), and even they sell the gopro support. So I think it would be very easy to adapt for your needs. Then just put your FPV equipment and you are ready to fly.
Not sure on te endurance, so not sure on flight time, but should be around 8 - 10 minutes which should give you the 3/4 miles.
The 2.4 spektrum receiver should give you that distance too. So, no signal problem there.
An for the video I think 5.8 immersion with SpiroNet's antennas is a easy and good setup to achieve that distance.
Should be very easy to setup. But have to ask reviews about the phantom (dji) to be sure in te endurance and RTH. Also ask if there is a gimbal for that quad if you need to have an stable and easy to move camera. If not and static support will be ok.
Just a note: if you are looking for real good quality photo shoots (or video recording) you will need a very very good camera gimbal with good dampened system, which to be sincere, will cost you as the price of the quad or even more. Just to be clear
Hope this help. CarlosLeq
Phantom is really a good choice (I have one). However, it's not an endurance quad. You'll get around 6 min of flight with usual FPV gear (gopro, transmitter, gimbal, etc...). Stock, just with a gopro and fixed mount on it, you'll get 10-12min of fun.

It does have RTH (any NAZA+GPS quad equipped will have)

As you can see from my previous posts, I can't get further than 300 mts but it's surely a problem with my FPV stuff since it's easy to find videos on youtube with people going 1 miles away (don't forget you'll need battery to return )
rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:45 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
Thanks markus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadex5 View Post
Hello, I've been lurking on this forum for a few days now trying to gather some info and it occurs to me that perhaps just asking for your feedback is the best thing to do. I am interested in acquiring some form of aerial video setup but I have zero experience with video equipment, flying RC, and rather limited experience with electronics in general.
I work in a remote, high desert area in the Southwestern United States. It is mainly mountainous, rocky terrain with very little vegetation (low bushes mostly). I am looking at the heli-max 1sq v-cam so far (quadcopter) as it seems to fill most of my needs. I am also intersted in the Blade 350 QX (mostly for the return home feature) as well, but not crazy about the thought of the additional expense of a camera.
I would like to hear what the experts here on this forum suggest for someone of my "skill" level and experience. My technical needs are as follows:
  • ease of use
  • as much range as possible, up to say 3/4 mile?
  • live video would be FANTASTIC
  • return home feature (for when I run it out-of-range or signal interference from the mountains
  • relatively compact size, everything fits inside a carry-on sized case

I don't expect that there will be anything "off the shelf" that will be perfect, but I would like to see how close I can get. Oh and finally...I do NOT have an unlimited budget, I will have to get clearance from my wife to buy anything so...low cost would be great too

Thank you all in advance for your input.
It'll help to get specific on your goals and limits.
I'm assuming you want multirotor only? Planes are cheaper/easier usually.
From What I've seen, generally speaking, you could get a full setup of cheap gear for short range, like under 100m, for under maybe 200$. Something like a modified ladybird or 929 or something. Safe. Easy. Cheap. These systems are aimed at troublefree Sunday flyers, and go a long way in that catagorey.
Longer range, better video, better gear quality will up the complexity and cost - a lot. And it's endless, as once you invest a chunk of $ in one part, it's "not right/safe/wise" what have you, not to balance the system out.
A total 1km+ dji type system will start at about 1000$ and go up as you add and crash.
Just fpv is cheaper, adding proper "movie making" adds lots of complexity and cost.
You've also got to factor in support equipment and replacement gear costs, which go way up with nicer systems. You can save a lot of $ by building etc yourself, but it's a lot of work to be self taught and its still not free.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Last edited by TheNiceGuy; Jul 13, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:37 AM
Joined Nov 2012
259 Posts
If you want a more complex system as making assembly for specific needs, ask and I tell you which option you have.
But, if you are not intending this system to make detailed shoots, maybe a plane is better and in the long it will be more fun than a multirotor.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:52 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Thanks markus.

It'll help to get specific on your goals and limits.
I'm assuming you want multirotor only? Planes are cheaper/easier usually.
From What I've seen, generally speaking, you could get a full setup of cheap gear for short range, like under 100m, for under maybe 200$. Something like a modified ladybird or 929 or something. Safe. Easy. Cheap. These systems are aimed at troublefree Sunday flyers, and go a long way in that catagorey.
Longer range, better video, better gear quality will up the complexity and cost - a lot. And it's endless, as once you invest a chunk of $ in one part, it's "not right/safe/wise" what have you, not to balance the system out.
A total 1km+ dji type system will start at about 1000$ and go up as you add and crash.
Just fpv is cheaper, adding proper "movie making" adds lots of complexity and cost.
You've also got to factor in support equipment and replacement gear costs, which go way up with nicer systems. You can save a lot of $ by building etc yourself, but it's a lot of work to be self taught and its still not free.
+1 that's what I experienced also with my attempt at long range FPV from the beginning. Things just don't work reliably and the cost skyrocketed. Same train of thought from these guys: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567954. So just keep it simple and have fun! Once you've learned the basics, slowly add components and work your way up, one step at a time!
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 13, 2013, 02:12 PM
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Jul 2013
2 Posts
thanks

Thank you all for the input. I am leaning more towards a quadrotor heli because it seems better suited to the tasks I need it to perform. A little more info seems appropriate: I work for the U.S. Border Patrol and would like to use this rig to help me scan ahead while tracking groups of illegal drug smugglers in remote areas. We have lots of cameras along the border, but not so much in the mountains. Sometimes a tracking operation can last for days because I can only make up ground on the group when they stop to rest. Having the ability to launch a camera and look ahead along the trail could save countless man-hours. Sure we have full-sized helicopter assets, but it is very expensive to call one out just to look ahead for us. I figured that if I can come up with a rig that can hover and give me a birds eye view of an area, then move on down the trail and do it again, then that would be a tremendous help to me and other agents.
Again, thanks for the feedback!
renegadex5 is offline Find More Posts by renegadex5
Old Jul 13, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Nov 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadex5 View Post
Thank you all for the input. I am leaning more towards a quadrotor heli because it seems better suited to the tasks I need it to perform. A little more info seems appropriate: I work for the U.S. Border Patrol and would like to use this rig to help me scan ahead while tracking groups of illegal drug smugglers in remote areas. We have lots of cameras along the border, but not so much in the mountains. Sometimes a tracking operation can last for days because I can only make up ground on the group when they stop to rest. Having the ability to launch a camera and look ahead along the trail could save countless man-hours. Sure we have full-sized helicopter assets, but it is very expensive to call one out just to look ahead for us. I figured that if I can come up with a rig that can hover and give me a birds eye view of an area, then move on down the trail and do it again, then that would be a tremendous help to me and other agents.
Again, thanks for the feedback!
I think a plane is much better bet for that objective.
And... Very nice (at least for me) to use this "Hobby" in something like that! I would like to have that opportunity.

I think the plane is better because you will have much more endurance. If is not too far away you could use a slow plane like skywalker which have been tested a lot and is a good platform for fpv (a faster one could cover more space, like a delta Wing, but would be a little more difficult to keep a group which is slow on foot)...
A good config on the skywalker could give you +1 hour of surveillance and which a basic setup 5km of range and probably +50 km of total flight distance. Of course it could be +15 km of distance (restricted mostly by the video) if you have a little more money and much more if the government support you.

If you new specifics ask... I think a lot of people have used before skywalker. I'm right now beginning assembly a new one with 2.4 video and rangelink.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:42 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,367 Posts
Interference from neighboring frequencies

My friend and I both use 5.8ghz for FPV systems. His is LHCP on ch1 (5.7ghz) while mine is RHCP ch8 (5.945ghz). Our systems not only are 200mhz apart, we are using opposite polarization.

However when he powers on his transmitter right next to mine (we are both 200mw 5.8ghz foxtech) my screen blacks out and switches to his. When I power mine on near his vRX his doesn't get any interference. What's even more strange is when I flip through the receiver channels (ch1~8) the his video signal only appears on ch1 and ch8 I find that weird, shouldn't the 200mhz of separation enough to keep my vRX from picking up his signal? I switched antennas and got the same results, the moment he powers his transmitter on, my screen switches to his (only after he flies away and we do formation does the screen go to my transmitter). Do you guys know what's wrong? (our transmitters are both new, so it isn't a weak antenna joint)
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:54 PM
Joined Nov 2012
259 Posts
Generic tx and rx or brand?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:15 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosLeq View Post
Generic tx and rx or brand?
We both use the foxtech 200mw module (http://www.foxtechfpv.com/tx5823-200...ers-p-272.html)
and the RC305 RX.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:18 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,140 Posts
What is this like? Too powerful for 5.8ghz?

Anyone comment on this?

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/247389508.html
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jul 16, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:31 AM
Joined Jul 2013
1 Posts
Advice on the correct antenna to use

Hi All,
I currently have a 900MHZ 800mW VTx/VRx and would like to know what type of antenna would give me maximum video range on my FPV plane.
I am a newbee and would appreciate the help.
Thanks Mike Bussey
Mike Bussey is offline Find More Posts by Mike Bussey
Old Jul 15, 2013, 04:23 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2013
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bussey View Post
Hi All,
I currently have a 900MHZ 800mW VTx/VRx and would like to know what type of antenna would give me maximum video range on my FPV plane.
Thanks Mike Bussey
Never that simple! What sort of range are you looking or?

Take a look at helical, patch, bi-quad and crosshairs but they can be pretty directional requiring manual or automatic tracking.

Chris
hangarspace is offline Find More Posts by hangarspace
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:16 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bussey View Post
Hi All,
Thanks Mike Bussey
A parabolic dish would get you some seriously long range... but you are a newbie. Please watch the "antenna selection" tutorial at the beginning of this thread to understand why this is a bad idea. You need a simple 8dbi patch. That's all.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member