SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:29 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I believe the Iftron 25mW 5.8GHz VTX is FCC licensed and therefore legal as it would fall under part 15.

-Alex
....apart from any part 15 VTX's.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,441 Posts
From what I recall, part 15, at least for WiFi, are tested with a specific antenna. Swapping antennas by the consumer is discouraged by requiring manufacturers to use non-standard antenna connectors when the product has a removable antenna. Many manufacturers use non-standard reverse polarity antennas for wifi. Of course, the RP-SMA became a defacto standard, and people swap out their antennas in practice.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2011
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
....apart from any part 15 VTX's.

-Blues
Nope only part 15 certified devices are legal to operate without a HAM License.

KK4IRW
MASHTON is online now Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHTON View Post
Nope only part 15 certified devices are legal to operate without a HAM License.

KK4IRW
That's what I just said....apart from part 15 devices all require a license.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2011
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
That's what I just said....apart from part 15 devices all require a license.

-Blues
Sorry read it as is there any others not that aren't in part 15
MASHTON is online now Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, MD
Joined May 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
First: FPV is not cheap. Buy cheap, buy twice.

If you only have $200 to spend, save it until you have enough for a good starter set. The camera and the antennas are the most important part of your FPV system. The system you pointed out and anything sold by HobbyKing is going to have junk antennas and camera.

You can build your own antennas following the tutorial in my blog. Even if you make them poorly, they still work incredibly well. The best camera out there is the 600TVL from security camera 2000. It runs about $52 and it is worth every penny.

-Alex
Alright well i can spend more if need be i guess.. It really depends on what the final cost is. What would you suggest then, for a "starter" system. Lets say i get that 600TVL Camera, what other parts should i get with it?
iCrap is offline Find More Posts by iCrap
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:10 AM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrap View Post
Alright well i can spend more if need be i guess.. It really depends on what the final cost is. What would you suggest then, for a "starter" system. Lets say i get that 600TVL Camera, what other parts should i get with it?
for what you want to do the 5.8 200 mw with some of alexs antennas would be awesome. my HK was going out to 7000 feet on stock whips. i did loose it but i wasnt anything to do with the video link. the problem is the connectors are backwards.. you'll have to order some off ebay and i hear those have some loss in them.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Last edited by wilem; Jun 29, 2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Need some advise on antenna selection for •1.3GHz 300mW vtx.I have this vrx
1.3GHz Receiver with Upgraded SAW Filter with 1.3GHz Optimized 8dBi Patch Antenna - SMA Male.
Only plan on flying 1mile or so. Was considering one of these.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=838

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=301
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=503
Your advise will be appreciated
Best
Mike
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:51 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
For a mile, Get a BluBeam antenna set and forget the patch antenna. You don't need it. You also don't need the upgraded SAW filter. 1 mile is a walk in the park for 1.3GHz. I would recommend the 400mW VTX, though. I really like mine.

If you already have the Vee antenna, a patch will do well for you. You could still do the Blubeam set, but the patch is cheaper and far more than you will need staying inside 1 mile.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Sep 2010
260 Posts
Quote:
Must you insist on Range Video? How about this: http://www.bestofferbuy.com/av-wirel...ign=affiliate1

Both TX and RX for $60 shipped. I personally fly this system. Here's what it can do on two cloverleaf antennas (You can quadruple this range by switching to a helical on the RX):

http://www.vimeo.com/20083784

-Alex
Quote:
^That's a very poor video transmitter. I have several I use for testing. You must keep it in the full enclosure or it will burn up. In the 1.2GHz thread, I did a video review of it. I was unimpressed with it an now use the equipment from Future Hobbies and Urban Drones.

-Alex
Thanks Alex
but to avoid someone else make the same bad buy would it be possible to modify post on page 16?
Just to keep your usefull thread to date for those like me who will not read all post and make a search for vtx
flye is offline Find More Posts by flye
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Sep 2010
260 Posts
I was flying a quad with 800 mw sunsky with self made inverted vee and stock whip on rx with spectrum dx8 and as expected rc link was weakest point
I am now trying tx9 with frsky for rssi to see.
Planning to build CP

Knowing I like low altitude10-100 feets which kit should I upgrade to?
From future hobbies (Our 1000mW, 1.3GHz transmitter & Receiver Set, is the perfect match for your next Long Range FPV Project and will not interfere with 2.4GHz RC Systems) is it true and good?
Or just a replacement tx?Which one is better for me?

Thanks

Claude
flye is offline Find More Posts by flye
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:52 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flye View Post
I was flying a quad with 800 mw sunsky with self made inverted vee and stock whip on rx with spectrum dx8 and as expected rc link was weakest point
Planning to build CP

From future hobbies (Our 1000mW, 1.3GHz transmitter & Receiver Set, is the perfect match for your next Long Range FPV Project and will not interfere with 2.4GHz RC Systems) is it true and good?

Thanks

Claude
Yes it is true, but it's a half truth of sorts. You see, the video walking on the control signal isn't much of an issue. It's the control harmonics in your video feed that's the real issue because if you are using a system like that, you'd be very foolish to think 2.4GHz control is sufficient. While some people do use 2.4GHz for control anyway, it's not the frequency that causes reduced range, but the transmitter power. It doesn't matter what frequency the VTX is on, if it is close to your RCRX, you are going to harm its performance.

Too much attention is paid to the transmitter and not enough attention is pad to the receiving end. The Future hobbies VRX is VERY sensitive and thus is capable of long distances. However, due to the very sensitive system, UHF control tends to cause video signal weaknesses. If you use 2.4GHz control, you have no business using such a high power system. You will have perfect video all the way down to impact due to loss of control.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:54 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
Quote:
Planning to build CP

Thanks

Claude
Ask Volto about FRSky. He crashed his airplane 1.5 miles out with a 1 watt boosted FRSky system due to loss of control and he was flying in the middle of nowhere. If you want to go long range, use a system developed for it unless you really know what you are doing.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
For a mile, Get a BluBeam antenna set and forget the patch antenna. You don't need it. You also don't need the upgraded SAW filter. 1 mile is a walk in the park for 1.3GHz. I would recommend the 400mW VTX, though. I really like mine.

If you already have the Vee antenna, a patch will do well for you. You could still do the Blubeam set, but the patch is cheaper and far more than you will need staying inside 1 mile.

-Alex
I already have patch antenna along with 300mw tx and 1.3 ghz receiver. So the v antenna will work ok with that?. It will just be directional using patch. The only tx antenna i have at present is the stock antenna that came with tx. Don't think i will get much range with it.
MIke
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:00 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Alex
but to avoid someone else make the same bad buy would it be possible to modify post on page 16?
Just to keep your usefull thread to date for those like me who will not read all post and make a search for vtx
Good catch! That used to be the old 700mW transmitter that I really liked. They replaced it with a really poor unit... So sad...
RCG Plus Member