HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:31 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,710 Posts
I found it Marinaio.... take a look here

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/aux-PKZ1017#t7

And than select "Important Product Bulletin" located on the right side!!!

Looks like they still have the free propeller replacement offer if you have the old prop version.
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Oct 01, 2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: words added
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Sep 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
Using flight modes, you can have both throttle and flaps on the left stick. I have the servos and motor ready to go into the Mystique as soon (?) as it gets here.

The RP is fun, but it is foam and bendy foam and QC is not great, but you can replace the entire airframe for about $100. After this rebuild, I won't do it again, either.

Rick
Ok you got me. I'll setup a flight mode and put flap on left stick and report back. See you on the mystique thread for sure.
sliderca is offline Find More Posts by sliderca
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Great! Thanks! I have the good one..whew, one less thing to worry about..
marinaio is offline Find More Posts by marinaio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:18 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinaio View Post
Great! Thanks! I have the good one..whew, one less thing to worry about..
The one with the _1 is version 2 of 3. The latest one has a double _1 on it. 9.75x7.5_1_1 is what it says on the prop. If you look closely, the extra "_1" is not as solidly embossed as the rest of the lettering. It sort of looks like an afterthought that was put there by a different process than the original 9.75x7.5_1.

When I compare the two, there is no difference that is visible to my eyes. The good news is that both of them work very well.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:27 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinaio View Post
Hi everyone
I just bought a Radian Pro, and after reading some posts I see that they were sold with a defective prop in the early days.. my radian came with what appears as an open box, no manual, lots of dust on the parts, so I suspect it is rather old, and am concerned I have got the original bad prop. I have tried searching through the 700+ pages but i cant get a focused answer. Would anyone remember how I can tell if I have the bad or the good prop (before I fly it!)? or at least please tell me what the markings are on a "good " new prop?.. Thanks!

Your manual should be taped to the underside of the foam try.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:41 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Thank you for that beautiful video. I still remember that one you took of not flying that showed the big blue waves and the icebergs. Now that you are sort of over your fear of flying over water, that spot might be on your list.

I have flown over a lake, and landed it in the water on purpose, just to see if it could be done. I figured it a guy could land on water, a whole new vista of flying sites would open up. When I plucked it out of the lake, it made funny noises and the motor would not work. In the end it turned out that the ESC was wet, and after a few hours of drying out, it's as good as new.

Before winter comes, my plan is to waterproof everything and try landing in the water again. It's not a float plane, but it floats.
Thanks for the kind words Jovanx. Well see how the winter holds up and i just may hit the high seas in the spring with the bergs...no pun intended!!

I have a set of HZ Super Cub floats that ive thought about mounting to the belly for giggles haha
But you would need to mock up something for the tail for sure...but have it so it sits very high off the water, last thing you want is your Prop hitting the water.

God its to late to be brain storming how to make a RP into a float plane haha

Do what i did to the RX for winter ops, you can also wrap the esc in a balloon with zip tie around the wires. keeps the water out great. If you really want to make sure no water gets in there, before you zip the rubber around the wires add a bit of hot glue there, let set, then tighten up the tie!

Cant believe you landed her on water lol

would of love to see that video
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:54 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I don't see any warning in the manual about running at partial throttle. I expect that it's ok so long as you are not restricting the airflow.
A warning appears in the Radian manual (same power system):

Quote:
Note: The power system installed in the Radian is
designed for climbing use in bursts (50% operating
time or less). It is not intended to run full throttle for
long periods of time. Not following this direction may
result in reduced life of the power system.
They probably didn't mention it in the RP manual because it was aimed at the more experienced gilder pilot. If it's fussy about full throttle, then you can bet your life it's more fussy about lower settings and the heat they produce.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:24 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,781 Posts
Picked one up last week

Picked up an RP before I went on my trip up to Lake of the Woods in northern MN. Maidened it at my friend's RC field. A quarter taped to the tail was just enough ballast to move the CG back to the sweet spot with my Outrage NRG 1300 35c packs. I didn't bother setting up the wing, as I'm thinking about installing an AR6710 rx so I can use the 10CHP's four-servo/four-channel wing configuration. I'm just using a basic 5-channel setup in the interim.

What a relaxing plane! So stable & easy to fly - yet surprisingly agile when called upon. I even let her fly hands-off for a minute-plus into a bit of a headwind @ zero ground-speed. I think I'm going to add some reflective tape to the wing for those half-mile AGL flights. I lost sight of the plane on a couple occasions.

I shot a few gigs of on-board video. I'll post a clip once I finish editing.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:41 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,710 Posts
Congrats with the maiden Joel!!!

Big difference from the micro stuff huh, LOL!!

I really like using all options, Flaps, Camber, Reflex & Crow/Butterfly. I also have the Flaps on the AUX3 Knob on the DX8.

Looking forward to your video!!!
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:11 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Picked up an RP before I went on my trip up to Lake of the Woods in northern MN. Maidened it at my friend's RC field. A quarter taped to the tail was just enough ballast to move the CG back to the sweet spot with my Outrage NRG 1300 35c packs. I didn't bother setting up the wing, as I'm thinking about installing an AR6710 rx so I can use the 10CHP's four-servo/four-channel wing configuration. I'm just using a basic 5-channel setup in the interim.

What a relaxing plane! So stable & easy to fly - yet surprisingly agile when called upon. I even let her fly hands-off for a minute-plus into a bit of a headwind @ zero ground-speed. I think I'm going to add some reflective tape to the wing for those half-mile AGL flights. I lost sight of the plane on a couple occasions.

I shot a few gigs of on-board video. I'll post a clip once I finish editing.

Joel
And have you gotten your UM Spit yet? Seems to be the week for them and the reports (if you wade through the busy topic) are that she will do your nice big loops. Still waiting for both of these planes to arrive
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:14 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
The replacement prop blades for original Radian are correct for your Pro. Try it with your blades, then changd to replacement prop. Use the one that gives you best climb, keep the other as a spare. About $5
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:33 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
The replacement prop blades for original Radian are correct for your Pro. Try it with your blades, then changd to replacement prop. Use the one that gives you best climb, keep the other as a spare. About $5
I thought part of the problem was the failure of the spinner with it's build in plastic blade yoke?
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:54 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Nope, problem was the blades.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:32 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
A warning appears in the Radian manual (same power system):

They probably didn't mention it in the RP manual because it was aimed at the more experienced gilder pilot. If it's fussy about full throttle, then you can bet your life it's more fussy about lower settings and the heat they produce.
I still see no warning about running at medium throttle. The warning on the Radian is for long runs at WOT. Running wide open for long periods will surely heat up the batteries, so that's a given. I've never had a problem with the esc getting hot in my RP, but I have had batteries get puffy, even with non continuous successive launches. I'm talking with 30 second launches and a 2-3 minute glide between, when there is no thermal activity or heavy sink. The stock batteries are marginal, so I have recently purchased some 25-50 c batteries. I sure hope they don't use those stock batteries for non-gliders, where the motor runs most of the time. I do think they use the same esc for many of their non-glider planes.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I thought part of the problem was the failure of the spinner with it's build in plastic blade yoke?
There have been reports of the plastic hub breaking and throwing the prop. Many have replaced the stock parts with aluminum hubs and spinners for that reason. That however is not covered by any factory recall. The early props are. If you have an original prop without a "-1" at he end of the part number PZ will replace it at no cost.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Oct 02, 2012 at 01:06 PM.