HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
V4?
Sorry, I got carried away a little here and did not realize that I am actually in the CX2 thread ... ...

But at the end of the day this should not really be an obstacle impossible to overcome - ever since I got involved with coaxes one of my biggest "pet peeves" (or however they call that) was to try and figure out what parts and pieces are actually interchangeable between which coaxes ... and as the V4 (by Esky) and the CX2 (by Blade) are the most popular ones, I did a LOT of experimenting in this field.

So rest assured, one way or another, this flybar will be adaptable to the CX2, the question will only be "is it feasible beyond the point of just doing it to prove it is possible" (or in other words: most people care a lot about the cost of experimenting - so they will ... let me call it "disapprove" of stuff that is not the best possible solution for the lowest possible price. Me however (in my own limits) I do experiments for the sake of experimenting ... that is why I sunk way too much money into it ... for the benefit of other pilots (even if it only is for them to know what NOT to buy because it didnt work ... (if you look at my blog, there is an awful lot of stuff to pick and see, what did NOT work ... maybe even why ...)

Anyway, this was a waaaay too long answer to a really short question - so I apologize, like I said I got carried away. (Once I know IF, and HOW to use the flybar I talked about on a CX, rest assured you would be able to read that on my blog sooner or later ...

erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:18 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,520 Posts
I was thinking of putting something like this together. I love the CF flybars.
Center hub that can be drilled out through the center.
http://www.eskyhelicopters.com/xtrem...bar-p-689.html

I would have to look into these weights:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Weight-Set-2

And:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

Just size up the CF rod. Anyone know were to get some bullet weights?

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:27 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I was thinking of putting something like this together. I love the CF flybars.
Center hub that can be drilled out through the center.
http://www.eskyhelicopters.com/xtrem...bar-p-689.html
...
Just size up the CF rod. Anyone know were to get some bullet weights?

Mike.
DuBro wheel collars
Skytec weights

or the ones from Xtreme that I mentioned in the previous post ... however, if you ad up the price for the hub+shipping and the weights+shipping (two different vendors) you might as well go with the "new" xtreme flybar from MM (there you save yourself the trouble of drilling the hub out, its already been done ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:08 AM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,900 Posts
I have asked several times about this flybar and never got an answer as to how it performs, perhaps without the batteries in it:

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7221

I don't need flashing LED's on a flybar, but the flybar itself looks interesting. I don't know if it would be too light without the batteries, though.
Sven, are you suggesting using the CF rods and weights along with the center part Mike showed or what, exactly? The Solo Pro flybar is meant to go with the head for that heli, so, the whole thing cannot be used. They also show two different weights.
Aren't the balls on the flybar different between the CX-2 and the Lama 4?
Mike, if someone were to use the center hub you show and a CF rod, how do you hold the CF rod in place so it doesn't just slide around? If you used the center section from your idea and the weights from Sven's Solo Pro, would one set of weights be used to keep the rod from sliding away from the center and the other weights used on the ends?
My CX-2 and Lama 4 both have the Boomtown shortened flybar with adjustable weights and they work fine.
To eliminate confusion, the heli Sven was referring to is an Esky Lama Version 4 = Lama 4 or maybe V4. Esky also has a Lama 3 that is not the same heli as the Lama 4. It looks different and has different parts and only adds to the confusion.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:52 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,520 Posts
Jack and others, Sorry, I got carried away with the V4 parts as well like Sven did. That center hub I posted is in fact for the V4. I forget what thread I'm in at times

@Sven, I'd like to take the conversation to the V4 thread if at all possible. For some reason I can't wrap my brain around that Xtreme CF flybar.

@Jack, Sorry Bud, I know you brought up that LED flybar before. Wish I could help you. My mission is to put together a CF flybar.

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:57 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
...

@Sven, I'd like to take the conversation to the V4 thread if at all possible. For some reason I can't wrap my brain around that Xtreme CF flybar.

Mike.
We sure can move the conversation to the V4 thread Mike, even if this stuff is all so ridiculously interchangeable if one is just willing to think a tiny bit outside the box ...
(for example, using a V4 flybar on a CX should only be a question of 1.30$ plus shipping - so the shipping is what really makes this expensive ...)

BUT lets focus on your V4 specific questions in the "appropriate" thread - to all others: " sorry for the hijack"


EDIT:
To all, once I get the "new and improved" Xtreme V4 flybar, I will compile one last big post about flybars in the V4 thread on my blog (my guess is in about 2weeks from now ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I have asked several times about this flybar and never got an answer as to how it performs, perhaps without the batteries in it:

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=7221

I don't need flashing LED's on a flybar, but the flybar itself looks interesting. I don't know if it would be too light without the batteries, though.
Sven, are you suggesting using the CF rods and weights along with the center part Mike showed or what, exactly?
No, not "exactly" - the CF rods CANNOT be screwed in, and the hub Mike suggested has the rods screwed in, so you will need metal ones with threads!The Solo Pro flybar is meant to go with the head for that heli, so, the whole thing cannot be used. I never suggested to use the whole thing, I clearly suggested to use the weights only, I did not even suggest to use the CF rods
They also show two different weights.
Yes, and what exactly does that mean?
Aren't the balls on the flybar different between the CX-2 and the Lama 4?
Indeed, they are, as well as the balls on the blade holders are. But again, this is not really a problem, as Xtreme has a 1.30$ solution for it (well, plus the 5$ you gonna pay in shipping, which is another point that speaks FOR just using a complete, dedicated aftermarket flybar for your model to begin with. Me however, I do the experimenting for the sake of the experiment, as long as I am not going to be evicted because I cant pay my mortgage anymore due to spending too much money on helis, the price is a secondary concern for me ...

Mike, if someone were to use the center hub you show and a CF rod, how do you hold the CF rod in place so it doesn't just slide around?II am not Mike, but I guess this is called CA glue
If you used the center section from your idea and the weights from Sven's Solo Pro, would one set of weights be used to keep the rod from sliding away from the center and the other weights used on the ends?
Again, if you use Mikes idea, you will need to glue it - the weights in the center dont serve any purpose ...
My CX-2 and Lama 4 both have the Boomtown shortened flybar with adjustable weights and they work fine.
To eliminate confusion, the heli Sven was referring to is an Esky Lama Version 4 = Lama 4 or maybe V4. Esky also has a Lama 3 that is not the same heli as the Lama 4. It looks different and has different parts and only adds to the confusion.
Does that clear it up a little ?
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:17 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Jack and others, Sorry, I got carried away with the V4 parts as well like Sven did. That center hub I posted is in fact for the V4. I forget what thread I'm in at times

@Sven, I'd like to take the conversation to the V4 thread if at all possible. For some reason I can't wrap my brain around that Xtreme CF flybar.

@Jack, Sorry Bud, I know you brought up that LED flybar before. Wish I could help you. My mission is to put together a CF flybar.

Mike.
the LED flybar "paddle" weighs only about one third of what the other weights do - so one would need additional weight to get the flybar to "function right" or the heli would be dang squirrely because of a major loss in stabilizing authority ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:36 AM
but maybe someday....
notarealpilot's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
One thing I have to mention here. I hate this method. It is hard enough to fly, and now you are flying in ground effect. Most guys I train, I get them up much higher. At least 4 to 5ft. Why? To get around ground effect and give them time to react before the heli hits the ground. If a heli is well setup, self hovering and stable. Doing this you will build confidence much quicker. I teach them to get it up this high, then practice left to right and back. Forward and back. Also best done in a larger room to eliminate prop draft, or outside on a non windy day. Again, Do the close to the ground flying in a small room and not only will you have terrible ground effect but severe buffeting from prop induced currents in the room that will throw the heli around in anything less than 4 to 5ft high.

Just something to think about. And another opinion.

Keep it close to the ground in ground effect mode and it is hard to fly. For anyone. For a newbie the heli now acts unpredictibly. Not good. So, from this point. I disagree with Radds.
Another thing that isn't being mentioned is that these guys (RADD and rchelicopterfun.com) are starting with bigger helicopters. The last few days, I've been trying to stay inches off the ground with my CX2 and I'm not even staying in a 3 foot box, much less a 1 footer. It looks like I'm starting out with a 6 foot box!! However; when I get 4-5 feet off the ground - much easier to control. 3 foot box is doable. I also notice that I'm spent right about the time my battery is! I know I need to relax and just enjoy myself but it is a bit nerve racking. I guess I'll chill in due time...
notarealpilot is offline Find More Posts by notarealpilot
Last edited by notarealpilot; Apr 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,394 Posts
just sayin" ... :

Hovering part 1 (1 min 9 sec)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
but maybe someday....
notarealpilot's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
wow, your coaxial is bigger than mine..

my skills aren't there yet. I wouldn't fly my CX2 in there much less what ever you were flying. What was that anyway?
notarealpilot is offline Find More Posts by notarealpilot
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,394 Posts
V911 ground effect hover

Well, scratch my last post, that ALSO was a "too big" ... or at least "bigger" heli according to RADD

Anyway, would someone please explain to me what this stuff about ground effect hover and how "bad" the helis behave is all about?
I am really and truly and honestly ANYTHING BUT a good pilot (and I practice a lot less than I probably should to finally advance into the realms of CP "magic" ...) - however, I REALLY cannot understand what it is all about.

Sure, once you lift of, the heli is not as stable as it can "be made" in flight, but really, ground effect ... I always thought that would be much worse with the "big ones", as they move MUCH more air than the "little ones" do ...

So long story short, here is a little 2min vid (as soon as youtube allows this to be uploaded ...) and a picture of the actual setup (with 9X TX as a visualization of dimensions).
I cut the white paper strips off a 8x11.5 letter paper ...

Update:
The vid wont be up before late tonight, as my wireless I-net here is just abominably crappy (means I can carry home the computer today again ...)
Anyway, it was yet again giving an estimate of roughly ONE hour to upload a puny 2min vid, that is friggn ridiculous !!!
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Apr 23, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:05 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarealpilot View Post
wow, your coaxial is bigger than mine..

my skills aren't there yet. I wouldn't fly my CX2 in there much less what ever you were flying. What was that anyway?
That was a Walkera LM3 and it was the ONLY time EVER I had that bird in the air. I dont have a spacious enough indoor area to FLY this, so it turned from brithday present into shelf queen ... and there it is, patiently waiting when I will finally get a chance to try actually flying it ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
That was a Walkera LM3 and it was the ONLY time EVER I had that bird in the air. I dont have a spacious enough indoor area to FLY this, so it turned from brithday present into shelf queen ... and there it is, patiently waiting when I will finally get a chance to try actually flying it ...
You do have some good size parking lots within walking distance though. Most of these parking lots would probably be pretty much empty on a Sunday (if you're not working) You must have a heli or two set up for outdoor flight right? Hey, I would be in heaven living where you do with all the Asian restaurants. YUMMY Looks like you are just about in the middle of Chinatown

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:26 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,394 Posts
V911 ground effect hover

Ok, in reference to post #7017, here is the vid I "announced" (I could get it to upload here after all and WONT have to carry the computer home .)

So, what is it with this horrible ground effect all the time? (or is that "bad hovering" ?? ...)

V911 Ground Effect Hover.AVI (2 min 3 sec)


erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion to buy or not to buy the blade cx2 airhead225 Coaxial Helicopters 36 Jul 09, 2009 11:01 PM
Discussion Blade CX2 Tx's - Can they be adapted to fly indoor/park flyers Sirion Electric Plane Talk 11 Apr 19, 2009 07:52 PM
Question How to program my dx7 to fly blade cx2? topforce Coaxial Helicopters 4 Sep 23, 2007 09:13 AM
Discussion How do I use my ICE to charge my batterys for blade CX2??? webejpn01 Electric Heli Talk 2 Jan 26, 2007 01:02 PM
Discussion How to learn to fly inverted with the Blade CP? Crazyrcer Micro Helis 4 Apr 05, 2006 12:59 PM