SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Would you like to see this new forum created?
Yes 97 90.65%
N0 10 9.35%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:22 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,850 Posts
For those who don't have time to "wade" through 1 more name in the index,we get/got your point.! We get it-we do !

This forum isn't about YOU. We believe that in order to help newbies,those who have something to offer,and WANT to give back,can congregate here,and eventually clean up some of the other forums.

Streamlining the name would possibly cause the subliminal message to fail in it's intent.-You can quickly scroll down a page,pick the longest name,and you're there...one more way of saving your valuable time.

We have your best interests at heart-continuing to help others enjoy the hobby is what this is about,isn't it ?

If your interests lie elsewhere,how can one more name affect you?
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:50 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
It wasn't one more name in the index I was refferring to, as in scroll down even more. It was one more forum to keep an eye on to keep up with whats happening-as it is there is the foam, the composite, the builders, the HLG, slope etc etc etc. Thats all I'm getting at. And I wonder if things are too spread out for newbies. I think the new forum would work great if things got a bit more cleaned up.

But like you said, its not about me. I just see things getting too overboard. Maybe ditch the builders workshop and have the others instead,including the intended one
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,850 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that..I may have been hasty...What it boils down to,is there seem to be no controls ...People can write about things not pertaining to the subject at hand,and no one objects.
I believe someone should speak up when the subject derails,and limit the discussion to learning tools..
I went back to one thread,and if I had been a newbie,I would have thought I'd arrived at the wrong address.
If a new builder has a problem identifying parts,someone needs to lend a hand.
I'm not the OP,but I got on board at the first suggestion that maybe we could change all the confusion..But if no one gets called on it,then it's as if you're encouraging the random comments.
I'm not suggesting'jail time' but let's keep in mind who we're trying to help.
Almost all of us can benefit from other's experiences,and having to go to page 17 won't stop me.....It'll probably be worth the trip.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
As far as confusion being caused by the many forum choices available at RCG, I think choice is a good thing and if confusing, it only takes a short time to sift through what's available and make a decision about where I want to spend my time. As it sits right now I really only go to 5-10 of them and of those I spend most of my time here in the Builders Workshop or the Scale Fuel Planes in Aircraft-Fuel-Airplanes. The new one being discussed and voted on here would be another choice for me as it best describes the materials I like building with. You guys who feel this is old fashion; or, that I must open up my mind to new materials, don't seem to get it that this is my hobby, what I do with my free time to enjoy myself!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Oct 04, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,850 Posts
Like you,I visit the build or modify forums..Traditional builds are my forte'...I have a long history of building(read experience) and I want to share that.

The classics are my favorites,and with their complicated builds,and compound curves,they are challenging ,but rewarding...

Techniques and hints picked up over many years need to be shared....I'm currently checking and helping at several sites..I believe staying still and sharing will streamline things and hopefully get more input to more people.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:22 PM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Based on Description:
"A place for scratch builders and kit builders to share build logs, building techniques, problems, plans and there own designs."

I can emphasize with the opposing points of view.
I think that the current Builders Workshop covers the proposed specifications.
However it would be an advantage to a serious "lurker in the dark" like myself to have a presort of items of interest for casual browsing (as opposed to a defined target to search).

As such I will vote yes.

Regards.

PS anyone know a good BOT build/mod thread on RCG or elsewhere; about to start on the all wood kit?
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:27 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,850 Posts
-Not currently,but we hope to share one around the 12th of this month (grin).

I believe there will be a plethora of kit builds soon-it's a little early for the winter builds,with mostly good weather.
Once the cold weather 'closets' us,they'll be everywhere.

I believe kit building will grow-if not from new kit presentations,then from vintage kits becoming available from so many estates.

I have moved many kits in the last 5 years,and not all to collectors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:00 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
I was wondering why there was not a specific forum exactly like this proposal. There are plenty of us that appreciate the kind of builds that would be included. Yes I build with foam, and yes I build with wood. There was no foam when I was young, except for pool toys made from whie EPs that gave you a rash. Who knew. I still like a classic wood and covering build, let's get this done!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
The new forum logo can be a termite! I love balsa wood! God's greatest gift to mankind!!!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:23 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
The new forum logo can be a termite! I love balsa wood! God's greatest gift to mankind!!!
I thought that was Salma Hayek:
http://beautiful-pics.org/salma-hayek/
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:34 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,240 Posts
She eats balsa wood!?!? No wonder she's so skinny!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:06 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Well I was going to abstain but since you're already getting into insulting anyone who disagrees with you then I'm off to vote as I initially thought....which was no thanks.

And that's not because I hate people who use wood (I am one) it's because I think RCG already has far too many forums which contain a few things I'm potentially interested in. They're already spread about all over the place and having yet another forum for people to try to decide if that's the right place to post their thread is IMO a bad idea. Just dilutes things further and makes anything specific even harder to find.

There are certain types of model I'm interested in and other types in which I have no interest. But the difference between them is not just what materials they're made of .

Steve
What he said, plus the fact that the forum structure is chiefly organised by the type of model built, and it;s functionaility, plus that such a Forum already exists, as per the forum description for this very forum.
Quote:
The Builders Workshop (8 Viewing)
Discussion of RC model building techniques, including scratchbuilding, kits, plans, and related tools, machining, etc.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,723 Posts
I kind of like the name Traditional Kit and Scratch Builds, as taken from epoxyearls above post #50.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:04 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,153 Posts
"Traditional Kit and Scratch Builds"

That's nice.

I do believe the minimum number has been gained.
Although, there are varied and good names of it, besides the valid original name. Perhaps a supportive poll with lots and lots of options would be beneficial. Just a thought.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,850 Posts
No- Jared..This time we need a 75% yes vote on the 12th,unless the admins agree we'd just be wasting time waiting until then...

We needed 50 'yes's' to submit the request,originally...89 yes votes at this point in time is an indication of high interest,tho',just 4 days in.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread