4,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairway View Post

I see in the videos he uses the

Wii Motion Plus (WMP)
and
Nunchuk (NK)

I don't see this on your post. Do we need both of them with the

You don't need the Nunchuk. You only need the Wii motion plus. For this project the NK is not used when you fly, even if you have one connected. It's just dead weight since we don't use "Stable" mode.

The parts to build this are...
1) Nintendo Motion Wii Plus. Make sure it's a genuine nintendo one and not a cheep knock off since those don't always work.

2) https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11113? Arduino Pro Mini 328 - 5V/16MHz

3) https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716 FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V

4) https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11301 SparkFun USB Mini-B Cable - 6 Foot
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Nov 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
foam and tape
Do you still have the code you used on your QTR when it was finalized? If you would post it, maybe I could figure out how to make it work on mine. Also, I couldn't tell for sure from your videos-are the rear surfaces ailerons or elevons? Are your forward surfaces elevators or elevons? My posted video shows my QTR with a KK board. Only the motors are controled by the KK board. Since posting the video RCvertt has helped me with the Multiwii board but he said you did all the code change for the tilt and ailerons. HELP! Thanks.
tom-tom 1 is offline Find More Posts by tom-tom 1
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-tom 1 View Post
foam and tape
Do you still have the code you used on your QTR when it was finalized? If you would post it, maybe I could figure out how to make it work on mine. Also, I couldn't tell for sure from your videos-are the rear surfaces ailerons or elevons? Are your forward surfaces elevators or elevons? My posted video shows my QTR with a KK board. Only the motors are controled by the KK board. Since posting the video RCvertt has helped me with the Multiwii board but he said you did all the code change for the tilt and ailerons. HELP! Thanks.
It's back in this thread somewhere, i'll see if I can find it. The rear surfaces are setup as elevons for redundancy (I did accidentally bump the front elevator loose once and it continued to fly) I didin't tweak the code to control any of the flight control surfaces, I just Y harnessed them to the standard 4 CH controls.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
It's back in this thread somewhere, i'll see if I can find it. The rear surfaces are setup as elevons for redundancy (I did accidentally bump the front elevator loose once and it continued to fly) I didin't tweak the code to control any of the flight control surfaces, I just Y harnessed them to the standard 4 CH controls.
I have the code from this thread. I assume the last code posted is the one you used. It's the 1.7 code for the QTR.
So you did't use pin# A0-A1-A2 for your TILT-LEFT AILERON-RIGHT AILERON?
and you did plug your tilt-R aileron-L aileron straight into your receiver?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Sep 2004
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
You don't need the Nunchuk. You only need the Wii motion plus. For this project the NK is not used when you fly, even if you have one connected. It's just dead weight since we don't use "Stable" mode.

1) Nintendo Motion Wii Plus. Make sure it's a genuine nintendo one and not a cheep knock off since those don't always work.

Wow..thanks..I ordered these from hobbyking 2 days ago. Will any of them work?

MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module

The MultiWii PRO is a gyro/accelerometer based flight controller that is loaded with features. This version of the MultiWii supports direct connection of a GPS module (package includes MTK 3329 GPS module) allowing for ultra-precise positioning functionality. With expandability options and full programmability, this device can control just about any type of aircraft. This is the ideal flight controller for your multi-rotor aircraft.

2. HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V3.0 (Atmega328 PA)

The HobbyKing Multi-Rotor control board uses Japanese Murata piezo gyros that are less sensitive to vibration than SMD type gyros and also features state of the art SMT manufacturing to ensure quality. This board also uses a user programmable Atmega328PA

3. Hobbyking KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board

Designed by the Grand father of the KK revolution, Rolf R Bakke, exclusively for HobbyKing, the KK2.0 is the evolution of the first generation KK flight control boards. The KK2.0 was engineered from the ground up to bring multi-rotor flight to everyone, not just the experts. The LCD screen and built in software makes install and setup easier than ever. A host of multi-rotor craft types are pre-installed. simply select your craft type, check motor layout/propeller direction, calibrate your ESCs and radio and your ready to go! all of which is done with easy to follow on screen prompts!
Fairway is offline Find More Posts by Fairway
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Sep 2004
10 Posts
Thanks RCvertt I just ordered all three from sparkfun.com.

Quote:

========================

Ok thanks RCvertt I just ordered all three from sparkfun.com. I guess I will have others from hobby king too...lol. I am sure I can put them to good use.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks
Phil
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:41 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
I have the code from this thread. I assume the last code posted is the one you used. It's the 1.7 code for the QTR.
So you did't use pin# A0-A1-A2 for your TILT-LEFT AILERON-RIGHT AILERON?
and you did plug your tilt-R aileron-L aileron straight into your receiver?
I don't believe so, just only the motor channels and the signal wire for the tilt control.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
Quote:
Wow..thanks..I ordered these from hobbyking 2 days ago. Will any of them work?...
The HK MultiWii boards might work but I don't have one so I couldn't help with using one. The HK boards will be good for building regular copters with though. Not a bad idea to build one of those first and get used to flying a quadcopter before you bash your QTR up like the rest of us.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
EUREKA!
I've been working on my QTR since Feb. and I think it's finally together. The surfaces work in the right directions, the multiwii board seems to be functioning correctly and all four motors are running and tilting. A special "Thank You" to RCvertt for all the help and teaching me enough to get this far. This is a really extraordinary project and worth the effort. Foam and tape has come up with some really unique and fun airplanes, I salute his vision and ability to bring them to completion. He really makes entertaining videos also. Again, thanks to both these contributors. I need to tweek and trim and learn to fly the QTR but I have no doubt it will fly. I will try to post some video in the next few days, I will try to get it into a hover at least.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Sep 2004
10 Posts
I did pick up the rest of parts I need to build to your specs.

Quote:
The HK MultiWii boards might work but I don't have one so I couldn't help with using one. The HK boards will be good for building regular copters with though. Not a bad idea to build one of those first and get used to flying a quadcopter before you bash your QTR up like the rest of us.
Great ideal...I am waiting for parts. UPS said by end of day today. I will keep you guys posted. I did buy a cheap frame for a quad-copter from x-heli this weekend.. They had a 10% off sale cyberweekend. I will practice on that one.

I did pick up the rest of parts I need to build to your specs.

Thanks
Phil
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
Quote:
EUREKA!...
That sounds really good. Congrats and don't forget to post some vid.

Quote:
...I did pick up the rest of parts I need to build to your specs...
Sounds good. Try to find a genuine Wii Motion Plus if you can. I get mine from Target but even they don't stock them much anymore
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Dec 04, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
I finally got to try a hover. It is responding correctly, but it's too heavy. I'm going to try to lighten it up without destroying it.
QTR attempt to hover (1 min 25 sec)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:54 AM
Ursel, Belgium, Europe
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Interesting project, but why is it so unstable?

Dirk.
swami is offline Find More Posts by swami
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,119 Posts
It is so unstable because he is at the top end of his power curve just trying to stay in the air and therefore has nothing much to do control with ... that is the reason he said he was going to have to try and lighten it up some with out destroying it .
v22chap is online now Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:44 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Yup, V-22 chap is spot on with that, Looks great Tom! I had the exact same problem with mine when it was overweight, lightening it up should definitely solve that issue.