HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2002, 03:47 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Killed my Logo 20:o

Hello

Today was a really sad day for me and the worst part I didnt actually do anything to kill the heli, my Rx did. I got my Logo into a hover to test out my new 580 carbon blades(only one flight on these and they were really nice) and then half way into a piro the heli stopped piroing and I got really concerned because I still wanted to piro. I tried to land and then I realized that my heli wasnt responding to any imputs. It stayed in a calm hover untill a wind pushed it into the bank of this field and boom; you know what happens from there.

It seems that the Logo and I dont get a long for some reason, it is always something. I always give it TLC and keep it nice and clean, but this is the last straw. I know its not the Logo's fault it is my fault for not checking the Rx. I just have no desire to fix the heli, besides it is killing my bank account (Im a college student).

Basically I broke the blades, head block, mixing levelers, pitch compensator arms, big metal balls on flybar, flybar, flybar bridge, bent some links, and dinged the boom.

The canopy(basically new) still looks great, the main frame has no damage, the main shaft is straight(these are really strong), landing gear looks great and the tail section is fine.

As I said, I plan on selling this stuff for spares, what do you think is a good price for this stuff? I figure since it comes with a metal swash, frame, all bearings, one way, and a good tail section it has to be worth something since Logo parts arnt exactily cheap.

Oh, on the bright sidemy electronics are all in good working order. I think I will hold on to them just incase I get something else like an E Raptor

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Last edited by Eco8gator; Nov 22, 2002 at 03:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2002, 03:53 PM
Texas
Joined Nov 2000
459 Posts
Wow! Sorry to hear that! I've flown my share of models into the ground. Maybe you could get a rappy or a hawk and swap your electronics over - it might even be less expensive than the logo repair. Hope your week gets better.
-Stephen
spessx is offline Find More Posts by spessx
Last edited by spessx; Nov 22, 2002 at 03:55 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 03:58 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
damn, sorry to hear that, carlo. any insight into why the Rx quit? was it PCM? were you using an Rx pack, or UBEC?
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Nov 22, 2002, 04:03 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

I was using a UBEC but I know it wasnt the cause. If the Rx lost power the speed control would have turned off. The Rx was in fail safe for some reason and I think it was a damaged antenna wire but I am not sure.

Oh, my Rx is a PCM Rx. It was weird I literally walked up to my heli while it was hovering on its own and I was flipping that throttle a lot. I literally followed it helplessly untill it finally touched down on the bank, only problem was the HS was at full.

Carlo
Old Nov 22, 2002, 04:22 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
how long was it between loss of control and the crash? don't most PCM receivers cut the throttle if the signal has been gone for more than a second or two?
Old Nov 22, 2002, 04:27 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

No they dont you have to program that and I didnt. It was just sitting there and hovering for about 10 seconds(longest 10 seconds of my life) and then the wind came, it drifted and boom.

Carlo
Old Nov 22, 2002, 04:50 PM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Man, That Stinks...

Sorry Carlo!

I hate to hear of stuff like this... It happens but I doubt any of us like it! Were you using a base loaded whip or stock antenna wire? Was the receiver and or crystal in a crash before this one?

Best regards,

Ron Osinski
aka - GMRO
GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO
Old Nov 22, 2002, 04:55 PM
"Watch this!" SMACK!
Mountain View Moffett Fd, California, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,048 Posts
Hey Carlo,

I'm very sorry to hear it. I hope you don't give up on it completely. It's still a great heli. But I know what you mean. I could barely afford to fly and eat when I was a college student. But you know which one I would choose

I wouldn't trust the electronics in another heli until you find the cause. I destroyed my Voyager because one of the servos died mid-flight. Sad thing is I knew something was up and decided to take one more flight. The servo shorted out, smoked and the heli pirouetted into the ground.

Have you had other lockouts before this one?

As far as the UBEC, it is possible to get interference from it (as opposed to a complete drop-out) since it is a switching regulator. As an experiment, try a range check with and without it. It may be worth using a Rx battery to see if you notice a difference in range. Also, try the experiment with a non-PCM receiver.

Anyway, I feel your pain...

--jim
jaggies is offline Find More Posts by jaggies
Old Nov 22, 2002, 05:00 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

Yes I was using a whip antenna, I never had a problem with it before. It came with my Rx which I baught used a long time ago. I have my reciever strapped to the front of the heli and one of the straps goes over the crystal so I was not worried about it comming out. After I picked up the pieces I found the Rx was still where it was supposed to be and the crystal was still in.

Man I fell really crappy, now I have a big space to fill in my closet, it looks so empty with out my Logo

Carlo
Old Nov 22, 2002, 05:10 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

I'm definitally not giving up on helis, but I dont think I will continue on with a Logo. It is just too damn expensive, hell I cant even find a new head block for my heli. For now Ill just stick to micros becasue I have had really good luck with them and they are much cheaper to maintain.

Here are some pics of my setup. There is quite a bit of seperation between the UBEC and the Rx.

Carlo
Old Nov 22, 2002, 05:11 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Here is another pic.

Oh, and I have never had a lockout before.

Carlo
Old Nov 22, 2002, 05:30 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

Come to think about it, I have crashed with this ESC a couple times but nothing that looked like it traumatized the Rx but maybe the last one I had screwed the Rx up. I think the only 2 things that could have caused the crash is a messed up Rx( I do range check it befor use) or the UBEC dropping to a voltage that puts the Rx in fail safe. How do I find out if my UBEC is bad or not? I connected a pack and I checked the output voltage and it was 5.1 volts. I also connected teh Rx and it wroked fine.

Carlo
Old Nov 22, 2002, 06:40 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Hard crashes can damage the Rx crystal.
I would be very suspicious of the Rx crystal you have in there now - be sure to mark it so you know it's suspect.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Nov 22, 2002, 06:56 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
this could be an opportunity to upgrade to the 30 size head. something to think about.
Old Nov 24, 2002, 03:25 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
What brand radio you using? It sounds more like a lost signal, vs an RX failure.

I have seen several crashes over the last few years the same way you discribe. All were top end planes with JR radios.

I am not saying only JR radios go bad, but it always seems to be JR when a crash occurs?
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk