HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2006, 04:37 AM
Western Pennsylvania
Joined Oct 2004
799 Posts
Discussion
Oh Nooo!

Well, while I wasn't watching my little grandchild got hold of my work bench sissors and cut thru the entire wire lead from the servo to the receiver on one of my HS55's on my Slow Stick. Anyone have any ideas on how I can do a repair job? The cut went entirely thru all 3 leads and cut the lead in two about midway thru the lead. Thanks.
Norm66 is offline Find More Posts by Norm66
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2006, 06:43 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
You'll need a soldering iron, solder, heat shrink tubing, and some practice. The heat shrink tubing should be small enough to slip over each individual wire - probably the smallest size made.

Splicing wires is a handy skill to have for this hobby. When I install servos in wings I usually cut the servo leads, add extension wires, run them through the wings, and then splice the connectors back on. It's a lot cheaper than buying extensions, plus it's more reliable if done right and it's easier to snake the wires through the holes without connectors on the ends.

When you do the repair, you might want to cut away any excess wire length between the servo and the receiver rather than bundle it up.

I just found this with a Google Image search:

From http://www.hobiehawk.com/RESsuperHawk.html. He says, "When I spliced the wires I staggered the splices so I did not increase the diameter any more than necessary." (But that's probably won't matter in your case.)

Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Last edited by Miami Mike; Aug 02, 2006 at 06:49 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2006, 07:13 AM
Western Pennsylvania
Joined Oct 2004
799 Posts
Mike, thanks for the info and tips. I'll get some practice in and give it a try. Then I'm buying some sky hooks for my tools....

Have a good one.

Norm
Norm66 is offline Find More Posts by Norm66