SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Build Log
Electric Airtronics Aquila build.

So thanks to many people on the forum here I have found a full set of plans and build instructions for the Aquila. The goal is to build a 44oz bird thats electric powered. So yesterday after picking several peoples brains, I decided to run with NoStep's power combo consisting of an Axi 2820-10, 60 amp esc and a 12x6 folding prop under a aeronaught 50mm turbo spinner. Everything but the esc is on order. I'm looking real hard at the turnigy plush 60 amp unit. To make the spinner match the rest of the front end I will end up reshaping the canopy just a bit.
Capri_Nut is offline Find More Posts by Capri_Nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:51 PM
United States, CA, Santa Margarita
Joined Dec 2007
192 Posts
E-Aquilla

While rebuilding my very old original, I added similar power. Absolutely enjoyable flying. The nose is hard to keep looking like the distinctive one of the original. In lieu of canopy reshaping I opted to lengthen the nose a bit, it needed a little weight up there anyway. I will suggest not omitting the spoilers, it does like to climb. Enjoy, we'll be following along.
simmler is online now Find More Posts by simmler
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:57 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,253 Posts
Awesome and SEXY (well almost as much as Emily Ratajkowski)
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:58 AM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
That looks amazing!

Is that some extra sheeting on the elevator?
What did you use to paint/cover the old girl with?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Hi, Capri_Nut.

I've been tempted to build another Aquilla since the moment I realized that I had launched with the radio off about 30 years ago and watching mine gracefully circle towards the Atlantic from Minnesota. It was at around 5,000 feet and still climbing when I last saw it! I still have a set of plans and I calculate how much the wood will cost every five years or so. In light of recent gains in aerodynamics I think I would probably go with flaps instead of spoilers so I could use camber changing in the hope of getting a little better penetration when needed. I would also cut some weight by going with carbon fiber wing joiners.

I have had good luck with the HK "Blue Series" ESCs in 30 amp and 40 amp sizes though I have not tried a 60 amp. The 40 amp in particular survived several runs at around 53amps before I picked up a watt meter. I wrecked a battery and got the motor hot enough to scorch plywood but the ESC is still going strong.

I have also recently tried the HobbyKing covering film and I'm quite pleased. All I've tried is transparent red but it performs somewhere in between Monokote and Econokote as far as temperature and glue strength. Transparent Monokote can seem a bit stiff, low shrink, or even brittle but the HK stuff seems to really shrink well. I can only give it a conditional recommendation but one can really save a bundle compared to any other film I know.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:16 PM
United States, CA, Santa Margarita
Joined Dec 2007
192 Posts
I had to Google Emily Ratajkowski. You have good taste obviously.
I've seen Aquila stabilizers 2 ways. As this one is with a shaped solid piece for the front (maybe Sagitta like?), and with the geodesic strips to a stick leading edge with a tapered (3/32"?) piece top and bottom at the airfoil high point. It's honestly been so long I do not remember why the differences. But then anymore I do not remember a lot of things. Maybe some knowledgeable folks can enlighten us.
The covering is Transparent Red Monokote. The fuselage was painted with a generic spray can, "Metallic Red" that I found in an auto parts store. The smaller it gets, the better it looks.
simmler is online now Find More Posts by simmler
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
BTW. If you want to go old school and paint the fuse; I recently tried out the HK super thin glass cloth on my current project. I tacked it on with 3M spray adhesive then used spray polycrylic, mostly sanded off, and flat white spray primer. It only added about three grams to the weight of my fuselage pod.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Cheers again!
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,980 Posts
Capri Nut,... this is a great project. Have fun with the build. I'm looking forward to seeing it fly . Next summer can't get here fast enough.
Peter,...I agree much better than trying to cover with plastic film. I went with light FG cloth and finishing resin, and rattle can white paint on my BOT,... totally happy with how it turned out. It looks great and is still light. Thanks for the link on the FG cloth. I'll check it out.

Fred
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Today, 12:56 AM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Thanks guys for the tips. The fuselage will be glassed. PeterIngh you should build one nows the season! Fred care to be the offical camera man for the maiden flight?

Now does anyone have a elevator bellcrank they would be willing to part with? Or where I could find one?
Old Today, 01:00 AM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Here we go, the aeronaught 50mm spinner and goodies showed up today. Looks like it will blend in better that I thought. Still waiting on the motor.
Old Today, 08:11 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
I'm not sure where to find a bellcrank. Soaring U.S.A. or Esprit models, perhaps? Or you could check out the Mystique threads to find out if the ones used in the Mystique would work and are available. Of course; it shouldn't be too hard to make one out of CF or fiberglass.
Old Today, 11:17 AM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,980 Posts
Sure, you bet I'll be the maiden cameraman.

Fred
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....