SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
Experimental models gyro - one

Hi Guys

I have had this model for a short while. The info given in the manual is a bit sparce to say the least. I was just wondering if any of you have flown this model and wondered what electric motors you have used. I am concerned because the blades are 1.8M and the pre-rotator gear comes from a TRex 450. My main gear stripped in about twenty seconds even though I started it slow and got to about 150 RPM before the gear stripped which makes me wonder what the right set up is. There is obviously a bit of a language barrier with the manufacturers. Google translate is fine but for technical stuff, it can be hopeless. Anyone flying this model, please let me know what your set up is?

Gyro Man
gyro man is offline Find More Posts by gyro man
Last edited by gyro man; Oct 22, 2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add link http://www.experimental-models.com/
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:45 PM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
971 Posts
Hi Gyro Man
I fly them but Im in Corfu at the moment instructing at the RC Hotel and will be back in Scotland middle of November I will try and help then
I have the Mk1 with the trex 500 gear
Joe
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
gyro one

Hi Joe

well that's what I was thinking about upgrading to as the gear from the 450 is not up to it. however the 450 is a 6mm shaft and the 500 an 8mm one why would paolo use such a week setup????
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:14 PM
South Africa, GP, Nigel
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Hi, I have no idea what my head gear is, but when I started it up on Sunday the blades went onto speed an started to make that woosh sound which was great. I then stopped it, motor and esc were cold. I then started it again and smoke came pouring out the motor. I switched it of and then the esc caught fire. I could not disconect the battery as the blades were on speed and I had to wait for it to stop. In both startups I started the rotatian by hand first. I have now fitted a bigger motor with a lower kva(870). I will try it again this comming weekend. I used a 3cell 2200mAh lippo. I will let know what happend.
Must admit this was scarey as I had a full tank of feul and the esc was mounted next to the feul tank.
Regards,
Martin
Tinmar is offline Find More Posts by Tinmar
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Gyro-One

Hi

Replaced my 450 head gear today and spun it up very very slowly. I may have just given it a little bit too much throttle before but it is a very very weak set-up. If your main gear is white plastic with teardrop shaped holes, you have the head gear from the trex 500 the one from the 450 is about 75mm in diameter and has 150 teeth. What motor were you using today? Mine is about a 950kv on a 3s. Don't think it got the blades up to the right speed. It is interesting that the mark one had the stronger head gear. Will let you know how I get on? That makes 3 of us that has got one of these damned things.

Gyro Man
Last edited by gyro man; Oct 23, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Leics
Joined Feb 2010
47 Posts
gyro one

wait for the man from scotland !
i have the same model as you, although mine is incomplete as time is not on my side,how-ever i have seen joes gyro and compaired them side by side mine is a different bird from his, due to modifications by experimental models !
patence man.
pm me
dave peers is offline Find More Posts by dave peers
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:18 AM
United Kingdom, Harpenden
Joined Oct 2009
363 Posts
Take a look a this video, around the 5.25 mins
GyrOne mit Looping - Paolo in Italien (11 min 2 sec)
BigTradioman is online now Find More Posts by BigTradioman
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:55 AM
York England
Joined Jul 2002
584 Posts
good loop!! wish I was that brave! magic video
gyronuts is offline Find More Posts by gyronuts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
loop

can they all do that ???
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Feb 2010
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro man View Post
can they all do that ???
Evening m8
Finally going into workshop to get an post the promised photos an an additional info on the pre rotate
Regards
Dave
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Gyrone

Hi Dave

I will take some pictures of my setup all I can say is it works now that I have replaced the main gear, but how long will it last ???

Do you know when Joe is back in the UK
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:15 PM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
971 Posts
Arrived back late today very tired I will get my models from the attic and check the specs the only thing is they are Mk1s and are a little different to the Mk2 but I will get the info ASAP
Joe
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
gyrone

Thanks Joe how could you leave all that sunshine and flying ???

G
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:15 PM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
971 Posts
With great difficulty
But I will be back there in April and May 2013
Last edited by Jockadopolus; Jul 29, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2010
47 Posts
Pre-Rotator Motor

Weeeelllllll GYRO-MAN Later than never
My pre-rotator motor is a spitz
from www.bmi-models.com
75 Watt
120W max
its just not happening my end no work, catching up in the office an im going of my trolley cooped-up ! with the missus (she runs the office) an shes on my case to bring my bits upto date
I cannot even sneek out to fly coss the weathers so naff!
Joe get me squeezed in to one of your cases when you go back to sunnier places
regards
Dave P