HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:33 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2012
28 Posts
Discussion
DJI NAZA problem

I'm really desperate right now. I've tried so many things to make my quadcopter work but it keeps having the same problem...

Ok so I finished building my quad a month ago and got myself a DJI naza fc. It flew great for a week or so. However I'm experiencing weird issues with it right now. When I arm the motors, the quad just lifts 10 feet in the air by itself. When I move the sticks on my transmitter, the quad does not respond so its basically stuck in the air. However, 5 seconds later, the quad just falls to the ground like a rock. I assume it's because my throttle stick is all the way down but it was the only way I was able to make it ''land''. So today I went to try it out once again and this time it arms and stays on the ground. So I thought the problem was gone but when i gently pushed the throttle stick up, it just flew away to one side pretty far before crashing. So basically I have no control over my quad once I arm it... guys....I really don't know what to do to make it work properly

Here's what it does when tied to a book: http://videobam.com/ZCdGw
Basically when I hold it, it feels like it's ''shaking''

any ideas on what I could try?
thanks
BKool is offline Find More Posts by BKool
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:55 PM
William Okamura
Brazil
Joined Aug 2006
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKool View Post
I'm really desperate right now. I've tried so many things to make my quadcopter work but it keeps having the same problem...

Ok so I finished building my quad a month ago and got myself a DJI naza fc. It flew great for a week or so. However I'm experiencing weird issues with it right now. When I arm the motors, the quad just lifts 10 feet in the air by itself. When I move the sticks on my transmitter, the quad does not respond so its basically stuck in the air. However, 5 seconds later, the quad just falls to the ground like a rock. I assume it's because my throttle stick is all the way down but it was the only way I was able to make it ''land''. So today I went to try it out once again and this time it arms and stays on the ground. So I thought the problem was gone but when i gently pushed the throttle stick up, it just flew away to one side pretty far before crashing. So basically I have no control over my quad once I arm it... guys....I really don't know what to do to make it work properly

Here's what it does when tied to a book: http://videobam.com/ZCdGw
Basically when I hold it, it feels like it's ''shaking''

any ideas on what I could try?
thanks
First all, take out the propellers to make tests.
second, in Naza assistant, lower the value of "motor idle speed"
What escs are using?
in vid I saw the prop adapter shaking, you had balanced your propellers ?
And Finally, why didnt ask in existent Naza topic
okamuwf is online now Find More Posts by okamuwf
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:19 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2012
28 Posts
I've already made tests without the propellers. The quad works and responds the way it should when I tilt it to one side or move the sticks on my transmitter....and yes the props are all balanced. The ''shakiness'' isn't a mechanical issue...it seems to be coming from the naza...

just lowered the motor idle speed and at least the motors start a little more slowly
the escs I use: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...370218217.html
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:26 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,920 Posts
I doubt that these escs are up to the demands of multi rotor copters, let alone the Naza which wants a 400hz refresh rate. Either get the DJI escs or some SimonK flashed escs.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:38 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2012
28 Posts
The only thing I'm not sure about is that it was flying great until I decided to redo it's power system to make it a little cleaner. When everything was fine, I was using a power board to power everything but then decided to use the built-in power distribution system of the warthox frame I had. The connections are all good since all the motors are spinning but once I put the props on, it just does the same thing as in the video. So I just decided to make the power system the exact same way it was before because it was the only thing that may be causing the problem. However, even if the quad is exactly the same as it was before, it keeps having this issue. That's why I thought that maybe I should change something in the gains in the software to make it work but I have no clue on which gains I could try...Do you think this might be caused by those gains or I should just change my escs?... even if I managed to fly with a few times before.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:52 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2012
28 Posts
Does something need to be changed here?

\

Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,494 Posts
Under TX MONITOR , you have cutoff type set to "intelligent". Might want it on "imm" ...immediate.
Also did you calibrate your sticks? With throttle at idle, first line on TX Monitor should have "T" at far left as in my screen shot.
See the picture I just added to this post. Screen shot of my Tx Monitor page.

I am a noob with quadcopters, just trying to help

watch this setup video, it might help you
DJI NAZA ASSISTANT AND TX CALIBRATION (7 min 35 sec)
320pilot is online now Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Oct 02, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:40 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2012
28 Posts
Just tried the immediate cutoff type... The only thing it changed was the time it took for the motors to stop.
Yes I already calibrated my tx. When I took the picture I've put the throttle stick to the middle. It is on the right side of the ''T'' when the throttle stick is down.
There's a thing I noticed on your screen-shot: under the control mode switch, the ''A" is highlighted in blue and has the cursor just underneath it whereas mine is all the way to the right. Maybe that's causing the problem but I don't know how to move the cursor under the ''A''
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,494 Posts
If cursor at bottom is all the way to right, and M is illuminated in blue, your 3 way Control Mode Switch, is selected to Manual flight mode.
If cursor is in the middle, the letter A would be illuminated like mine. You are in Attitude mode, yet as you noticed the cursor is all the way to the right..

Your screen shot above shows the letter "A" illuminated
Quote:
Maybe that's causing the problem but I don't know how to move the cursor under the ''A''
Have you programmed a 3 way switch to select between GPS-Attitude-Manual?

Watch the video link I posted above, it shows you how to setup a 3 way Control Mode Switch

ps. watched your video. VU unit is flashing yellow, double flash, repeat..have to figure out what that code means
Last edited by 320pilot; Oct 02, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:42 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,920 Posts
He is in ATTI mode.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,494 Posts
I see that Ed.
Just surprised me that the cursor below the Control Mode Switch is over to the far right. I guess he hasn't set up a three way switch.
When I watch his video the flashing seems to be two quick flashes, short pause, then 2 quick flashes.. Not continuous slow flash of normal ATTI mode.

Any way, you or h00t can probably help him..
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:35 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2012
28 Posts
I just programmed the u port so it can switch between manual and atti mode. However there's still the unusual double flashing that pilot noticed. I'll try to google that and see what it means...
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:05 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKool View Post
I just programmed the u port so it can switch between manual and atti mode. However there's still the unusual double flashing that pilot noticed. I'll try to google that and see what it means...
Sparking indications of Atti. and GPS Atti. are:
 Before motors start: Single blink, all sticks (except throttle stick) return to center; Double blinks,
stick(s) (except throttle stick) not at center.
 After motors start and throttle stick is over 10% in 3 seconds: Single blink, all sticks return to center;
Double blinks, stick(s) not at center.

Make sure that your sticks are calibrated and you have no trim on your Tx.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:19 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2012
28 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Now I'm sure it's in atti mode...I will probably go out tomorrow and give it a try if it doesn't rain.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:33 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,586 Posts
It's hard to tell from the video but while you are throttling up is the light flashing single then double amber? The reason I ask is that it looks to me like you are actually experiencing intermittent RX loss. Which, coincidentally, the double flashing amber light may be indicating. Steady flash, flash, flash, flash of amber is fine and indicates ATTI mode, but that double flash could be telling you that you have a signal issue.
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf