HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:02 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I have a spare wing tube you can have. Let me know and we can work something out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
I have a spare wing tube just send me a PM can easily part with one since I have 4. No new flights to report, yesterday was spent setting up my new computer and getting all of my graphics software installed and working properly. Today I have an extensive "honey do" list to wade through. I felt like an idiot about not knowing the other places I could plug in that UBEC. Goes to show you don't always know everything or at least I don't. That solved my telemetry problem and i will get the module next week for sure, sorry arnav all I really want is the flight pack voltage.
Thanks for the offers guys. Give me a few days to see how much damage there is when I take the cowl off and I will let you know.

Thanks again
edf_rookie is offline Find More Posts by edf_rookie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:20 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Well....I could have said "calling me sir, is like putting an elevator in an outhouse, it don't belong"....

And the way it was pronounced on "The little rascals" always sounded like "buttwheat"....and they also said.... "Hotay"....

SteveT.
i was thinking more like the Eddie Murphy version
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:35 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
As far as this CG discussion goes mine is somewhere around 80-82 mm. I placed a 10 mm wide piece of electric tape on the underside of each wing and use the turnerm fingertip method to ensure I am in the ballpark. I have a block of foam installed in the front of the battery tray that is cut so that with my 2200 batteries all I have to do is slide the battery in till it touches the foam and strap it down to get the desired CG. With the 2650 and 2800 batteries I made reference marks on the tray and battery to achieve the same CG. I prefer a touch nose heavy for all of my planes. That said the Edge will still fly great anywhere in that 80-90 range and maybe beyond. I think harrier, and KE are easier and it penetrates the wind better a touch nose heavy. Get some flights under you belt and try some different CGs to see what you like but it all comes down to personal taste and it would be easy to over-think this thing.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:36 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
i flew about 12 batteries today and played with cg just about every battery. what did you guys end up with your cg? did you balance from80 or 90 mm? and from there did you get neutral or nose heavy? did you just do inverted test or others?
i fly my epp's really tail heavy but i figure i shouldnt do that with this plane.
I had my edge exactly neutral so that it flew hands off upright and inverted.

My battery was almost all the way forward to make that happen though. I prefer a neutral CG but many like a slightly forward CG.

I'm not sure what the CG measurement was though. I only measure initially as a starting point and from there I just fly and move the battery as necessary.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:43 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
675 Posts
Besides the great quality and value of this plane,I think the biggest plus is the group of people that own them. It never fails, whenever some one has a problem or needs an out of stock part, there's always 2 or 3 guys ready to send out what's needed to anyone that needs it. Probably the biggest reason I purchased this plane is the community support. Figured if there's this many people so happy with a product it'd be a mistake not to get in on the fun. I've only run across 2 other products with this much enthusiasm from the owners....the whole line of Twisted planes....and the new Skywing/Wattaplane full fuse hybrids...same activity and helpfulness...and huge amounts of good info. ( also noticed that there's quite a few of the same posters in all of these threads ). Glad to be part of this great group of people.

Now if only the weather would break so I can get mine in the air and be a member in full standing instead of the guy who looks at his sitting on the pool table.
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:39 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
Besides the great quality and value of this plane,I think the biggest plus is the group of people that own them. It never fails, whenever some one has a problem or needs an out of stock part, there's always 2 or 3 guys ready to send out what's needed to anyone that needs it. Probably the biggest reason I purchased this plane is the community support. Figured if there's this many people so happy with a product it'd be a mistake not to get in on the fun. I've only run across 2 other products with this much enthusiasm from the owners....the whole line of Twisted planes....and the new Skywing/Wattaplane full fuse hybrids...same activity and helpfulness...and huge amounts of good info. ( also noticed that there's quite a few of the same posters in all of these threads ). Glad to be part of this great group of people.

Now if only the weather would break so I can get mine in the air and be a member in full standing instead of the guy who looks at his sitting on the pool table.
+ a billion!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:42 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
+ a billion!
x a zillion!

i would be lost without you guys. and the support i got before i even bought the plane was what made up my mind when shopping for my first balsa 3d plane. i owe you guys!

i flew the edge again this morning. on the cg. the guy i bought the plane from had a thick block of foam behind the firewall. with my battery all the way forward with this foam there it still wants to climb when inverted. so maybe i need to cut out alil bit of the foam. only thing im having problems with being consistent is harriers. im sure i just need practice and get out of the foamy fingers but it seemed like when i maiden'd and accidentally flew tail heavy for 2 batterys i could harrier alot better and consistent. i can hover pretty good. thought maybe the sfgs would help alil. can see a big difference in KE with them.

but this thing blenders and KE spins like nobodys business. FUN FUN! i love this plane.

i really appreciate all your guys help with the setup and other advice, like i said i would be lost without you guys.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
x a zillion!

i would be lost without you guys. and the support i got before i even bought the plane was what made up my mind when shopping for my first balsa 3d plane. i owe you guys!

i flew the edge again this morning. on the cg. the guy i bought the plane from had a thick block of foam behind the firewall. with my battery all the way forward with this foam there it still wants to climb when inverted. so maybe i need to cut out alil bit of the foam. only thing im having problems with being consistent is harriers. im sure i just need practice and get out of the foamy fingers but it seemed like when i maiden'd and accidentally flew tail heavy for 2 batterys i could harrier alot better and consistent. i can hover pretty good. thought maybe the sfgs would help alil. can see a big difference in KE with them.

but this thing blenders and KE spins like nobodys business. FUN FUN! i love this plane.

i really appreciate all your guys help with the setup and other advice, like i said i would be lost without you guys.
What size and brand of battery are you flying with? I had to get my battery way up front to get to neutral but it wasn't all the way up or anything. I even considered adding a little nose weight just so I could push my battery back a little for betting strapping.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:25 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,699 Posts
Today my Edge's number was up... It was the fifth flight of the day. Less than a minute into the flight all of sudden the Elev was not responding for a second, I yelled "oh oh I don't have Elevator", but I regained control and recovered from the loop it entered. I immediately initiated a left turn to come and land but half way through the turn it dived and the Elev didn't respond to recover.

When I retrieved the Plane I was expecting to see a disconnected/locked Elev servo but it was working perfectly fine. So did the Ailerons. The rudder was locked but it could be since the CF rod crashed into it. I don't think a locked rudder servo would have caused the crash anyway, so it probably happened post crash. Of course a locked/broken servo can overload the system and cause a brownout but I suspect it is less likely with a 10A BEC. So, I suspect it was a signal loss (but who knows there are so many variables). I was flying from a different location in the Field since a buddy was whining about having to land with Eastern wind in the usual spot (and of course he showed up only 5 mins before I left). Our field is notorious for signal issues but it seems to be getting worse. In a sense I wish it was a Pilot error, as having to travel to a field 30mins away if those interference problems continue will suck.

It dived from about 70ft. I suspect the damage would have been worst if fail safe was not programmed on all channels. It may have escaped only with scratches if didn't hit exactly the top corner of a 3ft high cement base of a fence.

At 180 flights for the very first balsa frame, 3rd plane overall, and exactly a year of flying, I couldn't ask for more.

I wanted to order another right now, but I don't see the Orange one anywhere in stock (even at valleyview). I haven't decided if I want a blue one yet. If anyone knows of an Orange one in stock anywhere pls let me know.

I am sure most of you repaired worst. Being a first balsa repair I will need to read up a little here on techniques etc'. Stay tuned for the damage photos.

Here are some "before" pics first. The buddy with the pics actually brought them to the field today (interesting timing). Most of them are blurry (even the hovering ones?!) so here those that are somewhat presentable.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:46 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
675 Posts
That's a shame amav, take a day and then look it over. chances are it's repairable from what I've seen in this thread. I'm sure once you post up some pics of the damage you'll get plenty of input.
Hope you're flying again soon.

BTW...what's wrong with a Blue one ?....come over to the dark side.....we have cookies
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:56 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,155 Posts
Quote:
i was thinking more like the Eddie Murphy version
Hotay....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:04 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,155 Posts
I know a lot of you guys have seen the photo of my "hangar" (if not, just click on the "my hangar" tab at the bottom of this post), so, you know I have plenty of planes to choose from (not like the Prince of Dubai, but almost enough), but one plane that pretty much always goes with me is my 48" Edge...or sometimes my 41" Edge....but a most always a small Edge... Heck, I fly it, when the wind is blowing and I don't want to risk my bigger planes!! I love flying it in the wind!!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:07 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,699 Posts
ok, here is the damage. I suspect you will not be impressed as it is certainly not "matchsticks." However, I am still a little daunted by the task. You boil it just like foam right? I haven't taken the cowl off yet, the the motor mount will need repair (if not replacement as well). Hopefully the motor itself is fine. The parallel damage on both wings is interesting.

Thanks rcguy, nothing wrong with the blue one... I was just in the mood for another Orange one...

EDIT: the biggest immediate challenge seems to be how to determine where the wings should be centered on the fuse...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Jan 13, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:25 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,155 Posts
Oh man!!! Sorry to see this!!! While it probably could be repaired, you might (and I hate to say this) just want to spend the time building a new one. Valleyview RC has a blue one in stock...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:54 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
675 Posts
Wow....that's pretty bad. Probably possible to fix...but is it worth all that effort.

Sorry for you again amav.
How long before the orange ones are back in stock ?

couldn't find the Time line on 3dhs.com ( used to be able to tell how much of a wait there was on something from that page)