SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Jan 2011
10 Posts
When I'm powered up and bound to the tx when I move the right stick up the front elev servo moves the swash plate forward and back, and when I use the aile and pit servo it move left and right. I just looked at the picture and yes the setup of my head looks just like that. This is why I am so confused.
Kevinmt10 is offline Find More Posts by Kevinmt10
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:13 PM
Addicted Again
Wylie TX
Joined May 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmt10 View Post
When I'm powered up and bound to the tx when I move the right stick up the front elev servo moves the swash plate forward and back, and when I use the aile and pit servo it move left and right. I just looked at the picture and yes the setup of my head looks just like that. This is why I am so confused.
Post a picture of your Rotor head showing the linkages and swashplate.
ri0grand is offline Find More Posts by ri0grand
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:46 PM
Addicted Again
Wylie TX
Joined May 2009
371 Posts
Lately I had been noticing my battery monitor would beep when flying when teh battery was still had a good charge. It would beep just once like when it is first plugged in. I suspected I was getting voltage glitches from an electrical connection somewhere. So tonight I am checking my blade tracking. I was holding the heli by the landing skids the way I normally do when spinning the blades up. I started to feel small static shocks every time my finger got close to one of the frame screws (one that screws into the motor mount). This happened whenever my hand was also in contact with the boom support front mounting screw. This also made the battery monitor beep every time it sparked. I have read about static discharge from belt driven tails. I can tell it really happens it was very repeatable. Even right after a spark discharges the charge builds so fast it will spark immediately again between those 2 points. I made a ground strap out of some copper solder braid and it fixed the problem.

It is pretty dry here right now and I am sure your local conditions will affect the degree you may see this problem.

Static Discharge from the tail is real!
ri0grand is offline Find More Posts by ri0grand
Last edited by ri0grand; Jan 05, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:29 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
It looks like my lucky streak in over with the 4F200

Ok this video shows good reason to ground your aircraft when something doesnt sound quite right. After viewing the video several times and inspecting the aircraft I believe the flight failure was due to a faulty blade holder link rod. I examined the link rod that was discarded in the impact and it was split down the side. A common failing with ESKY link rods as well. Best check your link rods under a magnifying glass guys

4F200 crash (1 min 29 sec)

ps- My fault for two reasons (1) I noticed the link rods were becoming worn a few days ago have already ordered them (2) as you heard in the video I noticed it didnt sound quite right, but I tempted fate anyway :|
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:24 AM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,710 Posts
Oh boy! how many blades broken? that sound is scary!
AC
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
It looks more like a stripped servo when you try to lift-off and it want to tip over like that, if it was a linkage rod disconected you'd never been able to takeoff Imo.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Old Jan 07, 2011, 02:15 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ View Post
It looks more like a stripped servo when you try to lift-off and it want to tip over like that, if it was a linkage rod disconected you'd never been able to takeoff Imo.
I believe the link came off mid air. The point/time of failure is quite easy to seewhen viewing the video. I took the remains of the blades off when I got home and spun her up and the servos appear fully functional.

The excessive tip you see on lift off, is no differant than the stock heli's flight characteristics when I first purchased it. Taking off front the floor of a basket ball stadium is never good either as all vibration punches back into the RX and the lift off is messy. I need to buy a soft rubber mat for a landing and take off pad when flying at the BB stadium.

I could definatly hear a vibration as well which might have been messing with the RX on lift off. THe heli appeared to be tracking ok pryor to the crash.

Its a shame the video quality is not better as it would have offered some spectactular stills, or slow motion impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayscrash View Post
Oh boy! how many blades broken? that sound is scary!
AC
All blades shattered right down to the blade grips. The surprising part was that the main gear, main shaft, and servo's survived the impact. The TREX250 yellow plastic really get the thumbs up from me as I think they saved the rotor head.

Broken Parts-

1x Link rod set
1x blade set
1x wash out
1x tail shaft

Oh well, in a few weeks she will be as good as new
Last edited by Bravo47; Jan 07, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 03:18 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
The excessive tip you see on lift off, is no differant than the stock heli's flight characteristics when I first purchased it.
Odd, mine pretty much takes off straight up. I guess I've never tried to take off from a BB court.

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:23 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
Odd, mine pretty much takes off straight up. I guess I've never tried to take off from a BB court.

Rafa
Mine does normally as well, but when you are on a timber floor I think any vibration relects straight back into the RX. Normally I dont see that much tip on take off. That being said though when I purchased my 4F200 the first time I spooled it up it tipped straight over like that and gave my blades a rub down on the pavers. As time went on and I learned more about the setup things settled down a lot. Ive had the 4F200 since release, but its only the last two flights that ive crashed, and both through mechanical failure. I think im just getting used to the heli and getting sloppy with my pre-flight.

On another topic, has anybody fitted a Madhawk300 fuse to a 4F200 yet?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:15 PM
USA, NC, Havelock
Joined Jan 2011
25 Posts
Hey guys I bought a 4f200 a couple weeks ago and flew it several times, not 3D or anything I'm still a little bit of a beginner. A couple servos stripped so I replaced them, and now my aile and elev is all messed up, same problem Kevinmt10 was having. Is my swashplate not set up correctly or something? I'm not sure what the problem is, because it didn't have this problem out of the box.
Xextriz is offline Find More Posts by Xextriz
Last edited by Xextriz; Jan 12, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:18 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xextriz View Post
Hey guys I bought a 4f200 a couple weeks ago and flew it several times, not 3 or anything I'm still a little bit of a beginner. A couple servos stripped so I replaced them, and now my aile and elev is all messed up, same problem Kevinmt10 was having. Is my swashplate not set up correctly or something? I'm not sure what the problem is, because it didn't have this problem out of the box.
Like ri0grand told kevinmt10, show us a picture of your head/swash. I've been wondering whatever happened to kevinmt10's, but we didn't hear from him yet.

Rafa
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:28 PM
USA, NC, Havelock
Joined Jan 2011
25 Posts
I accidentally pressed submit before I uploaded the images, here they are.

This was with the pitch at 50%, as you can see in the picture.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:49 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
I accidentally pressed submit before I uploaded the images, here they are.

This was with the pitch at 50%, as you can see in the picture.
Darn, that looks just like the picture on Helipal's website. Have you confirmed that all of the servos are plugged into the right holes? Does the swash behave normally with the throttle off, and just using cyclic?

Rafa
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:01 PM
USA, NC, Havelock
Joined Jan 2011
25 Posts
All the servos are plugged in to the right place, yes. Throttle up, throttle down, all the servos move the same up and down together and pitch seems to be consistent. I tried loosening the linkage arms, all 3 equally, that connect the swashplate to the rotor blades paddle. What that did was change the direction it wanted to fly when I pressed left down up or right. But the only problem with that, was the little plastic black thing that holds the top of the swashplate from spinning, it was not at a 90 degree angle when the blades were at 50% pitch. I believe that when the blades are at 50%, flat, no lift or anything, the servo arms and linkage and the plastic black thing should all be at a 90 degree angle as well as the swashplate being flat parallel to the helicopter correct?
Last edited by Xextriz; Jan 12, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:55 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,710 Posts
Quote:
All the servos are plugged in to the right place, yes. Throttle up, throttle down, all the servos move the same up and down together and pitch seems to be consistent. I tried loosening the linkage arms, all 3 equally, that connect the swashplate to the rotor blades paddle. What that did was change the direction it wanted to fly when I pressed left down up or right. But the only problem with that, was the little plastic black thing that holds the top of the swashplate from spinning, it was not at a 90 degree angle when the blades were at 50% pitch. I believe that when the blades are at 50%, flat, no lift or anything, the servo arms and linkage and the plastic black thing should all be at a 90 degree angle as well as the swashplate being flat parallel to the helicopter correct?
do the phase test: put any blade line up with tail boom & give ELEV/AIL input, blade must be not changing pitch, repeat with all blades.If there's movement on blade then phasing is incorrect, may be antirotation kit (plastic black thing) has problem.
AC
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash