SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2010, 04:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1 Posts
Discussion
AT-6 Kit Manufacturers

Hi All,

My dad and I were into R/C planes about 30 years ago and I have decided to get back into it. I already picked out my trainer (PT 40 MkII) and am thinking about my next plane. I want to build all scale planes, primarily warbirds, and am thinking about the AT-6 Texan. I think I should get a few kit builds under my belt before I try to scratch build anything, which brings me to my point: I have been searching all over the internet for a company that makes the AT-6 in a .60-.90 size kit but all I can find are ARFs and RTFs,. Can anyone suggest some manufacturers that might carry the AT-6 in this size?

Thanks,

Mark
chessieman is offline Find More Posts by chessieman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2010, 04:29 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
Top Flite used to make a Gold Edition kit. Altho discontinued, like most (all?) discontinued kits: they can be found at places like eBay.
Top Flite even went so far as to make a "Hollywood Zero": a kit which was based on the AT-6 kit, but with features which made it appear as a Zero (just the way they did in Hollywood for Tora Tora Tora).
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Old Jan 06, 2010, 09:37 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Oct 2008
98 Posts
While I think its great that you want to build warbird kits I am not sure that the AT-6 would be the best way to go for your first taildragger warbird.
Its narrow gear makes it a little difficult to control on take-offs/landings.
You would be better of - imho- with something like a P-47 or Zero or FW-190 or even a P-51 all which have a wider gear so ground handling is much easier.
Once you have mastered these then you can move in to things like Texans or Spitfires or ME-109's.
Just my opinion.
ByronF is offline Find More Posts by ByronF
Old Jan 07, 2010, 06:50 AM
Mr Clean
USA, OH, Xenia
Joined Mar 2007
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
While I think its great that you want to build warbird kits I am not sure that the AT-6 would be the best way to go for your first taildragger warbird.
Its narrow gear makes it a little difficult to control on take-offs/landings.
You would be better of - imho- with something like a P-47 or Zero or FW-190 or even a P-51 all which have a wider gear so ground handling is much easier.
Once you have mastered these then you can move in to things like Texans or Spitfires or ME-109's.
Just my opinion.
Good advise, P47 or FW190.

FTIR
FTIR is offline Find More Posts by FTIR
Old Jan 07, 2010, 05:54 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
I disagree with both. The gear isn't THAT narrow, and the large wing/ lighter wing loading (than most simular size warbirds) makes it easier to land and takeoff.
Biggest problem I had was it's tendency to float in ground effect: it just didn't want to touch down. But then, mine didn't have flaps.
Most Allied pilots learned to fly in the full scales during WW II: I say what was good for them is good for future warbird pilots.
A P-51? Get real. Many think that is one of the more difficult ones, and now that I have one: I agree.
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:01 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Oct 2008
98 Posts
Well there you have it. Ask 6 r/c guys the same question and you will get 6 different points of view.
I have both the TF AT-6 and the TF P-47 and I can tell you, because I just measured them that the gear spread on the AT-6 is 15" and on the P-47 is 24".
Obviously I fly them both and my view is the ground handling with the AT-6 is touchier (is that a word?) than the jug.
Now I would agree the wing/weight on the Texan would without flaps make it kind of floaty whereas as the jug with a higher wing loading is a different landing experience. However in terms of ground handling especially during the critical take off roll when you are trying to get take-off speed and countering engine torque pulling you left, the wider stance on the jug is a blessing.
ByronF is offline Find More Posts by ByronF