SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2009, 06:32 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Discussion
Sailing SC&H 1/24 scale square rigged ships

I have taken advice from several to start a new thread of sailing these SC&H 1/24th scale square rigged ships. Any and all photos of square riggers on the open sea are welcome, but especially the SC&H models.

I have the SC&H frigate with hull #20 and it is my intention to sail at least once a month in every month.

My ship is no where near detailed as some on the RC threads, but that is because I am more interested in sailing than detailing. I have been adding details as time goes on, such as royal sails on all three masts, studding sails for the upper fore and main masts, and in line stay sails.

I recently added the hand rails along the inside edge of the gangway at the ships boats and I am working on the hammock cranes for the outside edge.

I have sailed this model in all sorts of weather including ice on the pond, strong gale force winds, almost calm with all the canvas I could raise, and everything in between.

To get the thread started I have posted a few photos that have not been posted elsewhere and much of what I have been doing is samo-samo but different seasons bring different backgrounds.

I am also very interested in sailing with other modelers. We have taken our ship to Minnesota twice and had some wonderful fleet sails up there and we are looking forward to trying to meet several other modelers of these 1/24 scale ships of any rigging to sail with.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2009, 10:00 AM
Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, U.K.
Joined Oct 2009
11 Posts

Ahoy Shipmates!
Permission to Come Aboard?

I am an Englishman working in the Instrumentation and Control sector of the Oil and Gas Industry. I have built a couple of R/C yatchs, the last one being the Robbe kit 'Smaragd'. I learnt to sail while an apprentice (a long time ago), starting in a GP14, and then into 'Hobie Cats'.
I have always wanted to build and sail a Square Rigged R/C Model Ship. Recently while surfing, I came across the Steel, Chapman & Hutchinson web site, which then guided me to the prior RC Groups Forum.
I am coming up to retirement age, and looking for a project that would keep me busy. The 'Surprise' kit would be my first choice, as it is an ideal scale for what I wanted.
I have followed the build of your models, and only hope to emulate your skill and craftsmanship, when I build my own.
I recently purchased the DVD from Philip at SC&H. It arrived last week.
I have down loaded most of the Photographs you have all posted of the Surprise construction and subsequent Re-Fits.
I have made some observations, and would like to offer some suggestions, but don't want to impose.
Therefore I respectfully request "Permission to Come Aboard"

Regards
The Commador
The Commador is offline Find More Posts by The Commador
Old Nov 04, 2009, 10:04 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,398 Posts
Commadore

Welcome. Always happy to see new ideas. Ray (Paratrooper) and I were just talking and we're really glad to see all the new builders coming on.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Nov 04, 2009, 11:19 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commador View Post
Ahoy Shipmates!
Permission to Come Aboard?

I recently purchased the DVD from Philip at SC&H. It arrived last week.
I have down loaded most of the Photographs you have all posted of the Surprise construction and subsequent Re-Fits.
I have made some observations, and would like to offer some suggestions, but don't want to impose.
Therefore I respectfully request "Permission to Come Aboard"

Regards
The Commador
G'day mate! Welcome aboard. You will not be disappointed with Philip Roberts kit. I am very pleased to have one of these and it is only my SECOND RC model sailing ship, the earlier one being the Emma C. Berry way back in the late 70s.

What is so great about these kits is that they have been very well engineered and large enough that re-fits are absolutely possible in so many ways. Dan's brig and Don's schooner are two cases in point as they are both SC&H brig kits and both are heavily modified. My ship is modified mostly in that I have installed winch servos, yard attachment to the masts, and I have changed the method of control some, otherwise it is almost all done as per the instructions.

I hope to have operational carronades on the port side sometime next spring and then another trip to Minnesota to seek and engage a brig up there.

If you are interested, Ships in Scale have a first part of two articles of my ship starting in the November/December 2009 issue. This periodical is fairly well known and I think you can get them in the UK.

http://www.seaways.com/

Don't hesitate to order a model for yourself, it is well worth the price for a hobby like this and sailing her brings even more enjoyment. RG
Old Nov 04, 2009, 02:30 PM
Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, U.K.
Joined Oct 2009
11 Posts
Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome.

Paratrooper;
I have just looked at the link you sent for Seaways. I have not seen or heard of the magazine in the UK, but will make some enquiries from some of the Larger Magazine shops around Gloucester. A local Model Club meet and sail in the Old Dock, and have open days in one of the old Warehouses, where members show off their models and answer questions from the public.

Hope to see and follow all your comments as time goes by.
If there is any aspect that you are thinking of changing or would like to improve, I would be glad to join in the discussions. As I do not have the kit yet, I do not have the hardware to set up and try.

I am thinking of a Furling system mainly for the Square sails, to help the Tacking Manouver, and beating to winward without having to Manually change sail profiles.

East R.N.
The Commador is offline Find More Posts by The Commador
Old Nov 09, 2009, 03:20 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Ships log: 09 November 1809 Winds South at 0-1 kts, barimeter falling, rain coming.

Surprise had all the canvas in the locker deployed today but winds were so light it took an hour to go 1/4 mile. Such is the life on a sailing ship.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 03:37 PM
Washington State
Joined Sep 2007
239 Posts
She looks Beautiful in any weather.
Skipper AM299 is offline Find More Posts by Skipper AM299
Old Nov 09, 2009, 05:02 PM
Sailing enthusiast
New Bedford, MA.
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Purty ship.
Sea Devil is offline Find More Posts by Sea Devil
Old Nov 09, 2009, 06:29 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
Fire as your guns bear!

This is still my favorite of the images you folks have uploaded to date. It's looks like a painting from the Napoleonic Wars
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Nov 09, 2009, 06:41 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Jerry: I think this one was taken at Grand Lake MN a year ago. I cannot remember it, it must have been one of Dan's.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:24 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,398 Posts
Another broadside!

Jerry,
Of course Ray doesn't remember the pic...
Here's the real version of that picture!
It's my favorite too.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:08 AM
back woods of Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Here's the real version of that picture!
That clears it up for me.
tsparks is offline Find More Posts by tsparks
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:26 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Aaaarrrrrggggg This won't be so funny once the new guns are mounted on Surprise.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:22 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Ships Log 14 November 09: Winds out of the SSW at 5-7, clear, 69 degrees.

The photos are the same as always, but the absolute enjoyment of seeing this ship on the high seas begs for more photos. I can't hep it!