SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:09 AM
Unregistered Nightflyer
Joined Jul 2009
167 Posts
Discussion
Bruce from RCmodelreviews flying club shut down

I cant believe this actually happened. Local district council shuts down flying club due to unspecified reasons.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Model-aero-club-accused-of-trespassing/tabid/367/articleID/259041/Default.aspx

Originally posted by Kiwi-heli-nut over on HF. Just thought you guys should see this. Apologies if I've posted in the wrong section.
kavic5150 is offline Find More Posts by kavic5150
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:58 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,869 Posts
"you're placing too much emphasis on fun"...

WOW! speechless.

I've watch Bruce's youtube vids and enjoy many of them. I've also corresponded with him on a few emails...great guy!
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:24 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,096 Posts
They had to much fun for the Council. Maybe it was the video, where they crash an old model in the tower and burn it afterwards started it all.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:50 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,038 Posts
More information required IMO.

The biggest issue I feel is that the council needs to specify what it is exactly that the club has done wrong. If the club is indeed guilty of doing something wrong, the council can prove it, and if the offending conduct warrants it, I am OK with the field being shut down (even though I love xjet and rcmodelreviews). As it is, and based on what the news report said, the field has been shut down with absolutely no justification.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:46 AM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
180 Posts
it has been commented that the 'control tower' is in fact an unused movie prop from days gone by.

The field appears to be located next to a go kart track, and an offroad motorbike track.

Guess the electric foamies were too noisy? made too much pollution?

Or maybe it is just a case of youtube being one more persons undoing.
I have heard of many a motorcyclist being questioned because of unwise actions documented on youtube, ditto car drivers.

seems to be an over reaction, which didnt get the support that the council hoped for.
peterreebok is online now Find More Posts by peterreebok
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:35 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
Holy Cow!

What Bruce said at the end, "It seems the fun police do exist" really smacks at something Orwellian.

To shut down something like that aero-modeling club with no justification is dead wrong. The local council only said something to the effect that they need to analyze the situation before reaching a determination, which is something they should have done before, or at least within a few days of, the club coming into existence over 5 years ago. Is some jealous person who is not having fun seeking revenge after seeing all the YouTube hits that Bruce has accomplished?

Albeit hurling a model airplane into the side of any control tower, whether the tower is real or an old movie prop, looks a bit mischievous if not suspect. Yet such an incident (not accident) should be noted in any injunction to cease such modeling activity, which was not done.

The city council and the aero-modeling club should be able to reach a resolution at what appears to be a highly underused full-scale aircraft airport. Create some charter rules acceptable to all sides. Put it in writing. Make it official.

But don't officially ban having fun.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:01 AM
Kiwi in Australia
Australia, NSW, Carlingford
Joined Mar 2012
245 Posts
It's a very poor approach to the issue - warnings should be delivered and the situation examined with a level head. This has not happened. From what I can tell it does seem to be somewhat political from the NZ RC governing body objecting to being referred to as "fun police" and "grumpy old men". Personally I think the governing body have too much time on their hands and too little tolerance of the evolution of the hobby into something a bit more mainstream.
steveobhave is offline Find More Posts by steveobhave
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:37 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,801 Posts
Though I haven't seen the video in question -

Flying a plane, (a model though), into a tower, (even if a film prop), then showing it on Youtube, I could easily imagine it causing some consternation among some people, (non-modelers).

Sometime we are our own worst enemy when it comes to publicizing the potential dangers of model flying.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:57 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
I always watch his videos, maybe he got a bit cheeky towards the end with the safety video. I just hope i can still watch his videos, they are my favorite you tube channels.
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:12 AM
Unregistered Nightflyer
Joined Jul 2009
167 Posts
Heres a link for the district council in question.

http://www.waikatodistrict.govt.nz/Contact-us/Compliment-Complaints-Process/Compliment-Complaints-Form.aspx

Feel free to give them a piece of your mind.

Credit for the link goes to Syncnzflying from the HF thread on this subject.

Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:21 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,074 Posts
Seriously?????
You have to wonder exactly what rights you have when something like this can happen. This just smacks of someone with the right connections getting upset at something bruce has said in one of his vids. Your a disgrace Waikato council. hang your heads in shame.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:23 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,435 Posts
It seems the powers that be may have over-reacted somewhat, unless there is info we have not been made aware of. That council official was very vague and elusive with his answers, and clearly quite uncomfortable. I would also think it would be unlikely that a national body like MFNZ would contact a local council to investigate the goings-on, or shut down a local model flying club. Fun police indeed...

Having said that, I also agree with eflightray- it's probably best to stay well "under the radar" regarding your precious flying site, or else something that has taken years to build up may come tumbling down- even if it is due to ignorance (or whatever other motivators).
wizard of odd is online now Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,132 Posts
Read the discussion thread on -

http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules/newbb/

There appear to be more concerns than might have be stated. The airfield appears to be an operational one and full sized pilots may have been complaining or adding to the complaints.

The national body representing Model Flying (MFNZ) hasn't come out in a good light either though they might have worked on the, "Say nothing and it will go away." premise.

The "www.3news.co" part mentioned is a TV station with a 1/2 hour magazine piece after the 1 hour news. The YouTube and interview were on that with MFNZ not fronting.

The forum mentioned above (Parkflyers NZ) had over 30 messages in 1/2 hour, something they considered as a record for it !
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:32 AM
Unregistered Nightflyer
Joined Jul 2009
167 Posts
Mac do you have a link to the thread in question?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:32 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,801 Posts
The site link in post #1, mentions -'Model aero club accused of trespassing', now if they have never had official permission to use the site, no matter how many years of use, then that is always a councils prerogative to use to close a site if too many people complain.

I think in the video there is a guy with a dynajet ?, now the noise from one of those is enough to get a model banned from the country, let alone a flying site.

Listening to the comments made, there appears to have been complaints about the model club over a period.

So like I posted previous, 'sometime we are our own worst enemy', and it only takes a few inconsiderate club members to give the whole club a bad name.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray