HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:36 AM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2010
1,969 Posts
Contest
F3F New Coastal Flying Site Committee

Ron Vann and I went out to a spot near Goat Rock that Ron has had his eye on now for over a year. I asked him to go out with me to check it out for F3F and he was totally up for it.

I am so glad we went out today. 30+ MPH! Great way to break in a new coastal flying site.

We flew in, way out, up, down, all over the place. We could not find any "Thornton" or "Wicked Sister" type rotor holes near the cliff face. Very smooth.

Landing is very easy, similar to Wicked Sister, just fly back away from the cliff face, all natural grasses and no rocks.

I shot some iPhone video (just rough footage, sorry too much wind noise) just to give a feel for the place.

The lift band goes way out from the cliff face and we were getting around 300 feet just testing how high we could get. We tried some pump turns but we were so amazed how high our climb outs were.

The cliff face is not too abrupt, more of a 60 to 70 degree slope, explains why we were getting so high.

All I can say is Ron sure has a big pair tossing out the first time…….

F3F Goat Rock #2 (1 min 18 sec)

Goat Rock F3F (0 min 53 sec)
David Olson is offline Find More Posts by David Olson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by David Olson; Apr 06, 2014 at 03:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:43 AM
Joined Jun 2010
1,969 Posts
It was quartering from the right about 20-25 degrees today. Too much out of the NW today.

I will post more videos in a day or so…………..

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:52 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,061 Posts
Dave, is the new site south of the road into Goat Rock? If so, I take it you have to hike about .5 mile in if it's the one I'm thinking of.
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Apr 06, 2014, 02:12 AM
Joined Jun 2010
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot View Post
Dave, is the new site south of the road into Goat Rock? If so, I take it you have to hike about .5 mile in if it's the one I'm thinking of.
Hi Vic, I will post up maps etc. but you drive in the regular Goat Rock Road turn off at the Park Entrance and about 1/4 mile on the left there are 2 trail heads about 100 yards apart from each other, both with parking straight behind that massive rock out in the flats. Either one in the place to park. I parked up near the knoll where we always park about 1/2 mile in but that is too far north for this flying site, it worked, just a longer walk. The very first trail head I am not sure if there is enough space to park there, the 2nd and 3rd trail heads have lots of parking area.

You are parking only 1/4 mile from Hwy 1 so you are barely in the park.

Yeah, ~1/2- 3/4 mile walk. Going out was easy peasy, returning the last 200 yards gets you going but not bad.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by David Olson; Apr 06, 2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 02:56 AM
Joined Jun 2010
1,969 Posts
Parking

Parking at Goat Rock……

It looks like there might be a couple of other spots to fly to the south for when the wind is more from the SW. We didn't have time to check it out. Too busy having fun.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by David Olson; Apr 06, 2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 10:32 AM
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,525 Posts
Dave,

Nice looking site for sure!

Any disturbance from local park rangers?

B
Brandon is offline Find More Posts by Brandon
Old Apr 06, 2014, 10:41 AM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
1,035 Posts
Nice!!!

I here there are other flying sights near goat rock up the Russian river as well.
Diceman89 is online now Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2014, 10:54 AM
Old skool speed freak!
Napa, Ca
Joined May 2004
517 Posts
Hey Dave,

Glad you guys had fun out there!

I have flown there with anything from a SSW to Nw, it is an amazing site.
I personally have never been harassed by the Rangers, they are pretty busy down at the beach keeping kids away from the seals and whatnot. Have not heard of anyone else being harassed either now that I think of it.

But then, there is usually no more than a few guys there...........

When it is straight in there where you were, it is honking!!

Mike,
vinmech is offline Find More Posts by vinmech
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:49 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Ron Vann and I went out to a spot near Goat Rock that Ron has had his eye on now for over a year. I asked him to go out with me to check it out for F3F and he was totally up for it.
I am so glad we went out today. 30+ MPH! Great way to break in a new coastal flying site.
We flew in, way out, up, down, all over the place. We could not find any "Thornton" or "Wicked Sister" type rotor holes near the cliff face. Very smooth.
Landing is very easy, similar to Wicked Sister, just fly back away from the cliff face, all natural grasses and no rocks.
I shot some iPhone video (just rough footage, sorry too much wind noise) just to give a feel for the place.
The lift band goes way out from the cliff face and we were getting around 300 feet just testing how high we could get. We tried some pump turns but we were so amazed how high our climb outs were.
The cliff face is not too abrupt, more of a 60 to 70 degree slope, explains why we were getting so high.
All I can say is Ron sure has a big pair tossing out the first time…….
Congrats Dave

hopefully you realize how good/ lucky your RC Slope-glider situation is down there.

Scouting out for ~1/2 day, and a few more really good looking slope sites pop- up.

Doesn't happen here around.

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:52 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Dave,

Nice looking site for sure!

Any disturbance from local park rangers?

B
Brandon,

I agree with Mike, I have not heard of anyone ever getting any hassle from any park ranger in the past. They have not bothered pilots at the normal flying sites and this site is even farther away.

We shouldn't have any issues, we park at trail heads, stay on the paths to the cliff and is hard to see our planes from the roads. We will stay back from the cliff edge with our poles. There just will be more of us there at one time is all that is different……..hopefully won't draw too much attention.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2014, 02:00 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakumann View Post
Congrats Dave

hopefully you realize how good/ lucky your RC Slope-glider situation is down there.

Scouting out for ~1/2 day, and a few more really good looking slope sites pop- up.

Doesn't happen here around.

Cheers
Thomas
Thomas,

Yeah, after talking to some other pilots last fall about how lucky we are and take it all for granted living here I figured we needed to make an effort to get out of our rut of flying at the same places. This has to be one of the best places in the country to find new flying venues.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2014, 02:16 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,989 Posts
That site is a great call. I've flown "Peaked Hill" which is the little peak near the road lots of times, and have looked at that spot many times.

Never had an issue with the Sonoma County Parks people either. They've driven right past us flying many times.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Apr 06, 2014, 09:02 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,969 Posts
This video shows the entire area very well and Ron demonstrates how to land. Now that was FUN yesterday!!! One of those days!!!

Goat Rock - Rockin' (3 min 16 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by David Olson; Apr 06, 2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 11:32 PM
District X Norcal AVP
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
77 Posts
Yea Goat is a lot of fun to fly. I have never had any issues with the rangers. I would think if you play nice with the other park goers then the rangers will let us be.

Forrest
LaunchPadMcQuack is offline Find More Posts by LaunchPadMcQuack
Old Apr 07, 2014, 12:22 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,061 Posts
Video

Looks great Dave! Was it a little blown out? Will be curious to hear how the slope does in different wind conditions.
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot