HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:42 PM
Joined Apr 2008
249 Posts
Reiher flaps flight test

Today I successfully flight tested 45 degree midwing landing flaps on my Reiher Bomber.

I'm not aware of a more specific Reiher thread so I'll post results and build tips here. That way the next person with a gull wing flap challenge won't have to spend so many hours searching the internet and find so little.

A bomber doesn't have spoilers and I'm used to flaps on my other warbirds and jets. I read even many sailplane purists prefer flaps to spoilers (see internet debate). So for almost 10 years I've had a plane which needs much more approach and runway to land than a normal AMA club. Things were great for a while until our club was kicked out of the full scale airport we shared due to glow engine noise.

I often thought about flaps but was told they would be fatal on a gull wing plane like the Reiher.- at least when in the mid-wing position (as opposed to the inboard dihedral position) A national authority put it in chilling words I'll never forget:

" You will immediately go into a death spiral from which there can be no recovery"
softshell29 is offline Find More Posts by softshell29
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:52 PM
Joined Apr 2008
249 Posts
Gull wing flaps

Gull Wing Planes can't use outboard flaps without "a death spiral from which there can be no recovery" ?

Not true.

Today I experienced steady, stable, controlled descent with increased altitude loss rate--just as you want with flaps or spoilers. My 19 1/2 foot twin engine bomber can now be operated from a normal flying field, greatly increasing its utility and enjoyment.

I think those who have experienced the death spiral may have had no down elevator mixed in with the flaps, resulting in balooning up and tip stalling. I used 6 degrees of automatic down elevator for my low flaps (15degrees) and 8 degrees for my full flaps (45 degrees)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:16 PM
Joined Apr 2008
249 Posts
Let reiher flap mod

The Reiher Bomber is a fantasy scale project. The Germans wanted to reach New York and have at least a shot at making it back to occupied France. German pilots balked at outright suicide missions.Before aerial refueling, this indicated a bomber which could fly a large part of each mission with zero fuel consumption. So they took the most advanced sailplane of the day, blew it up 300% for a crew of 6 and added 2 of the new turboprops. Search the internet and you'll find almost nothing on this , except pictures of Hitler's favorite pilot , Hanna Reitsch, testing Reihers. Why would a rocket pilot waste time on gliders? She wasn't wasting time.

So the Reiher Bomber has exactly the planform of a Reiher sailplane. Flaps should work identically on Reiher sailplanes. Mine is a modification of the LET Reiher. Here's what I did to modify the inboard ailerons into flaps with great sweep, power and rigidity:

1. Re hinged the inboard ailerons at the bottom, and doubled the servo power.
2. Stripped off the cloth covering and replaced it with 1/64 ply--both sides.
3. Broadened the control horn power distribution across multiple ribs using carbon rods and lite ply rib doublers.
4.Closed all gaps--top and bottom --with flex strips used on full scale sailplanes.
Last edited by softshell29; Oct 20, 2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 01:14 PM
Joined Apr 2008
249 Posts
Gull wing flaps--Reiher Bomber video

These videos demonstrate use of 45 degree flaps for landing and zero flaps for takeoff--all in 8 mph crosswind. You can also see parachute return of the wheels after takeoff.

Despite some similar sounds on takeoff, this Reiher Bomber model has no sound system imitating the Full Scale turbines

Take off (0 min 19 sec)

Landing (0 min 28 sec)
Last edited by softshell29; Oct 25, 2014 at 01:34 PM.