HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:27 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
@ littleG I use a hitec hs82mg

@theNiceGut I don't have a weight scale in the video I thought I did a closeup up the yaw mechanism?
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:14 AM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
I am surprise that this FPVDM thread hasn't gotten the same attention as the RCexplorer Tricopter 2.5 thread.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:54 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Yeah I know it is wierd considering this is the best tri frame out in my opinion.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:08 AM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Hey flohio117,

I noticed in your video that you use mostly 4s batteries on the FPVDM. I only have 2200mah 3s batteries.

How does the FPVDM perform on 3s?
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:25 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Hey flohio117,

I noticed in your video that you use mostly 4s batteries on the FPVDM. I only have 2200mah 3s batteries.

How does the FPVDM perform on 3s?
Depends on your ,odors and setup really. You can use 3s with the nx4008's and 30A escs but you would need atleast an 11 inch prop. Also you would need around a 4400-5000mah 3s battery because the 2200 would be way to light and it would be un fly able. Ivetested 3s and 4s setups already. I personally like 4s on 10 inch props better.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:28 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
I am surprise that this FPVDM thread hasn't gotten the same attention as the RCexplorer Tricopter 2.5 thread.
You can build the entire rcexplorer v2.5 for about the cost of this frame alone. Then add the electronics, ~$100 and not everyone is out to go FPV. That's another $500+ to get right. If you just want to learn to fly on the cheap, David's tri is a great starting point. I'd think FPV purpose built frames are great but you limit your market to 20% or less of the multi rotor space.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:24 PM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
You can build the entire rcexplorer v2.5 for about the cost of this frame alone. Then add the electronics, ~$100 and not everyone is out to go FPV. That's another $500+ to get right. If you just want to learn to fly on the cheap, David's tri is a great starting point. I'd think FPV purpose built frames are great but you limit your market to 20% or less of the multi rotor space.
H
I absolutely agree with you. The rcexplorer tricopter is very economical, and it is a great and cheap way to start in the multirotor fun. In fact, flohio and I have the fpvmanuals version of rcexplorer tricopter (which is about $100+ when you include the shipping cost).

What FPVDM offers is the versatility of having the room for all of the FPV gear ,which the rcexplorer tricopter is lacking; hence the name, FPV Dream Machine. Therefore, it is targeted more towards folks who are heavy in FPV flying.

Just my 2 cents.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; Sep 29, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:29 PM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Anxiously waiting for mine to arrive. Dropped big money on hobbyking today, ordering all of the electronics for the FPVDM.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:03 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
I'll be using the KK2 board with this. What size servo do you recommend?
I use a hitec hs 82mg it's probably overkill but I'd weather besafethan sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
How much does all the frame gear weigh? And are there any close up shots of the yaw mech?
I have no clue about the frames weight because I don't have a scale. It's not heavy though. I'll take some pics of the yaw mech in a lil. It's a very simple setup.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Man I'm not going to have time to upload pics of the yaw mechanism sry guys I've been super busy getting ready to leave for 23 days. The FPVDM is a FPV purpose built tri. Everything about the design was for FPV. It can still be flown as a sport tri and honestly I think it would be better than other frames just because its much stronger. Yes it's more expensive than a fpvmanuals frame initially but after your 1st crash with the fpvmanuals frame you'll be kicking yourself because that frame breaks in every crash soft or hard. The FPVDM I have crashed hard multiple times throughout its testing period. The only thing I've broken was a boom. Simply because once the front arms hit the zip tie snaps and the arms fold back which helps save everything from a hard hit. Also the motors have cages around them so the motors never get damaged. The yaw mechanism is very neatly and tightly compact which doesn't leave a lot of room for anything to go wrong or break.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Hey guys I just put my dragon link on my FPVDM tri and I took it for its 1st long range test flight with it. I flew it 1.2 miles away and it went flawless it was only a test flight so I didn't go that far but my next one ill shoot for 2 miles
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:51 PM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Hey guys I just put my dragon link on my FPVDM tri and I took it for its 1st long range test flight with it. I flew it 1.2 miles away and it went flawless it was only a test flight so I didn't go that far but my next one ill shoot for 2 miles
1.2 miles, wow! You're brave. Aren't you scared of losing your tricopter?
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:55 PM
Registered User
LittleG's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Depends on your ,odors and setup really. You can use 3s with the nx4008's and 30A escs but you would need atleast an 11 inch prop. Also you would need around a 4400-5000mah 3s battery because the 2200 would be way to light and it would be un fly able. Ivetested 3s and 4s setups already. I personally like 4s on 10 inch props better.
Why would the FPVDM be unflyable if the lipo used is too light?

All of the lipos I have are 3s.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:56 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
1.2 miles, wow! You're brave. Aren't you scared of losing your tricopter?
If you can't afford to lose your rig, you'll never get the long distance experience with some heart ache.
You gots to pay to play!
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:22 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
1.2 miles, wow! You're brave. Aren't you scared of losing your tricopter?
I have a lot of trust in my setup it's been flown a lot and i check stuff before I fly. I also have a lost model alarm on it. I also pay attention to the surroundings incase I went down I'd know about where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Why would the FPVDM be unflyable if the lipo used is too light? I tested it with 11 inch props nx4008 motors and a 3s 2200mah battery and it was climbing at a 1/4 throttle lol so I put a 4400mah 3s 65c battery on it and it was hovering at a lil less than half throttle still. After I put all FPV gear it was finally hovering at half stick.

All of the lipos I have are 3s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
If you can't afford to lose your rig, you'll never get the long distance experience with some heart ache.
You gots to pay to play!
H
Very true my friend honestly I thought distance flight was boring lol I was 700ft up cruising at 42mph
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 8 NIB JR Radio Systems (all new old stock!!!!) Available Seperately FNW Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 7 Sep 09, 2012 08:46 PM
For Sale iconic-X FPV frame available now :) whosYOURdaddy - QuadAddict Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Jul 20, 2012 10:23 AM
Discussion FPVDM - FPV Dream Machine (Tricopter) by MyRcBuild airbagit13 FPV Talk 14 May 18, 2012 01:56 AM
Build Log FPV/UAV/AP tricopter build log [Changed from "Got the stuff... I went all out"] slisgrinder FPV Talk 47 Jul 25, 2011 10:57 AM
Now Available: 1/8" GWS Drilled Pinions and Machined GWS Boxes for Astroflight BL WJ Birmingham Parkflyers 5 Jul 28, 2003 12:17 PM