HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Discussion
How upgrade firmware (simonk) on Turnigy plush 30a esc

Hi guys,
have been doing a lot of reading regarding updating esc's for faster refresh rates using simonk firmware. I have seen conflicting reports as to whether turnigy plush 30a esc's will work. Can't find these in the main high refresh esc thread; many posts say it does not work as the new turnigy plush's are not atmega? However this youtube link shows otherwise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v=p3kG4NnUxiE

I am a complete noob at this, and my understanding of this is limited. Can somebody please confirm if these esc's can be upgraded to simonk firmware via the programming pads? This will probably help many others as I know the plush 30a are very popular!

If so can you please advise what I need to do for this, and where to get suitable firmware from?

Thanks so much in advance
slidins15 is offline Find More Posts by slidins15
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,763 Posts
If you've been doing any "Research" you would have found the thread where you should have asked this question in:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

Without pictures, nobody will tell you.
If you open your ESC up and it's Atmega, there's nothing you can do about it.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
yep I did look in that thread, and there is nothing in there for turnigy plush 30a.

Individual questions tend to get lost in large threads like that so I thought I would ask directly.....

I am happy to take the heatshrink off and take a picture; but to be honest I've got no idea what Atmega or any of that means. I thought that being such a common esc that someone would have done this before

I'll get a picture up as soon as I can
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,763 Posts
If you bought it recently and from HK, chances are it's not Atmega.
With a picture, its easy to tell.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
yep they were bought recently from HK so I guess there's no point in taking them apart. May just have to get some already flashed from quadroufo
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:30 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidins15 View Post
yep they were bought recently from HK so I guess there's no point in taking them apart. May just have to get some already flashed from quadroufo
Yes that is the simplest thing to do. If you don't know how to differentiate between a atmel chip and a SiLab chip then there is no reason you should worry about flashing firmware. In order to flash the simonk firmware you have to take the time to open up the ESC, know which chip to look at, find the contact points. Figure out which one is MOSI, MISO, SCK, VCC, GND, RESET. Then make a fixture to those contacts. Do some soldering. Get yourself an USB interface. Find a software to do the flash.

That's a lot of work to do for some noob that has no clue what an atmega processor is about. I am not trying to offend you but just stating the obvious. It is just like trying to cook a gourmet meal when you don't know how to identify a duck egg versus a chicken egg.

Go buy some DYS 30 amps from Ken Yu at Quadroufo and ask him to flash the simonk firmware for you.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:37 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,545 Posts
Or just wait until timecop have some more pre-flashed ESCs available:
http://abusemark.com/store/index.php...862dac5dd5b056

For me the hardest part about flashing is soldering to those tiny legs/pads. I had to wear reading glasses for the first time, and bought a magnifying and a loupe just to try this. I'd just buy TC's pre-flashed ones next time.

You mean there is a difference between duck and chicken egg???
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:51 PM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
And the next steep?

Well I have programmed Atmel chips and have Plush 30A bought in late 2011.

Were can I find firmware to flash this ESC for use in multicopters for ATMEL and SiLab chip?

Any pics of easy spots to solder to pins?
flyboygaac is offline Find More Posts by flyboygaac
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac View Post
Well I have programmed Atmel chips and have Plush 30A bought in late 2011.

Were can I find firmware to flash this ESC for use in multicopters for ATMEL and SiLab chip?

Any pics of easy spots to solder to pins?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678
vodanh1982 is offline Find More Posts by vodanh1982
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Sep 2011
520 Posts
What is the need for flashing a plush ESC with SimonK? I believe that all plush ESCs now use an SILabs chip and they support 490Hz refresh rates. They have eliminated the need to flash alternative firmware.
sg1anubis is offline Find More Posts by sg1anubis
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:56 PM
SirEdward
Philippines, NCR, Pateros
Joined Apr 2004
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1anubis View Post
What is the need for flashing a plush ESC with SimonK? I believe that all plush ESCs now use an SILabs chip and they support 490Hz refresh rates. They have eliminated the need to flash alternative firmware.
while i does accept high refresh rates at input, it doesn't really translate well into the output.
blimppilot@ph is online now Find More Posts by blimppilot@ph
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:05 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blimppilot@ph View Post
while i does accept high refresh rates at input, it doesn't really translate well into the output.
How so? Can you elaborate on that? One would hope that an esc that has built in 490hz refresh would serve our needs.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
it is the hysteresis they put into the ramp. instead of ramping from zero to full in 1 cycle, they take 7-8 cycle. so at most , the esc will change by 12% per cycle. simonK does away with this hysteresis so it will change the power by any amount needed. so it will still be faster than stock silab
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:55 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
it is the hysteresis they put into the ramp. instead of ramping from zero to full in 1 cycle, they take 7-8 cycle. so at most , the esc will change by 12% per cycle. simonK does away with this hysteresis so it will change the power by any amount needed. so it will still be faster than stock silab
Ah. Thanks. I can't say I know anything about putting hysteresis into a ramp, but it sounds like the SIlab chip wastes the potential advantage of having fast refresh, at least so far as it would benefit being used in a multicopter.

It seems that it's still Simonk, or no way.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
HI have successively flashed v6.1 to my Turnigy plush 30A (silabs).
They are working with default firmware values
When I start reeving up the throttle from stop the engines DT750 make a skeeking noise and then start with some hiccups in lower throttle.
After some seconds and more throttle applied they smooth up the running rotation and all is OK.
If I stop the engines this happens again.
This is not my video, but similar problem:
BLHeli Troubleshooting (0 min 44 sec)

Any clue on cause and solution?
How to return to original firmware?
flyboygaac is offline Find More Posts by flyboygaac