HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:08 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesses151 View Post
OK Don,
I have the Wicked 4000 (not plus) running 4s using a Hyperflow 55mm fan and it's rediculously loud compared to that setup. What do you suppose is the difference? I really like the sound of a fine tuned electric jet screaming by but, I must admit the quiet flow of air with a faint wistle is even cooler. Plus it keeps attention off of you. So is the 4000 plus motor that much quieter than the 4000 or what?
-Jesse
i have had that same setup and the hyperflow fan is just insanely loud no matter what you do to it
kremecheze is offline Find More Posts by kremecheze
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:04 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesses151 View Post
OK Don,
I have the Wicked 4000 (not plus) running 4s using a Hyperflow 55mm fan and it's rediculously loud compared to that setup. What do you suppose is the difference? I really like the sound of a fine tuned electric jet screaming by but, I must admit the quiet flow of air with a faint wistle is even cooler. Plus it keeps attention off of you. So is the 4000 plus motor that much quieter than the 4000 or what?
-Jesse
The motor does not make the sound the fan blades/stators do. A 55mm fan will be louder than 64mm fan because the rotor spins faster. The fans must also be balanced as any vibrations will be amplified by the fuselage and make it resonate and sound louder but the actual motor makes no difference.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:33 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab View Post
Don, I see you decided to put your ConceptX up for sale (at a great price, I might add). Very tempting. So how would you compare the Stinger to the ConX on build, flight characteristics, speed, etc? I think the Stinger looks better but that is a personal preference. Anyway, what do you say?
Sorry I missed this post somehow. With the same power system the stinger is 5-10 mph faster. I think it feels better in the air and is easier to launch because of the finger tabs. The Concept X landed easier on its belly because so far my belly landings on the Stinger keep flipping over.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:54 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Thanks, I hope to have everything together in the next few weeks....Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Sorry I missed this post somehow. With the same power system the stinger is 5-10 mph faster. I think it feels better in the air and is easier to launch because of the finger tabs. The Concept X landed easier on its belly because so far my belly landings on the Stinger keep flipping over.
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:51 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,508 Posts
Thrust tube

Don, I see you uploaded two thrust tube templates. Apparently different diameters? which one did you use on yours?
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:51 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,291 Posts
The thrust tube is long it has to printed on two sheets of paper.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:52 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,508 Posts
ah, I see it now...
Thanks!
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:26 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
What type of servos

Does this jet have metal gear servos or plastic? Trying to decide if I should buy the Hobby King model or the one from Hobby Lobby.
Tealc is offline Find More Posts by Tealc
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:22 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealc View Post
Does this jet have metal gear servos or plastic? Trying to decide if I should buy the Hobby King model or the one from Hobby Lobby.
You do not need MG servos....
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:17 PM
soKali, Chino
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Probably about 100 mph. If the model was a little cleaner then more mph but this kit like so many other foamies (except the Phase 3 f-16 and Alfa EDF models) has a 1/4" thick trailing edge on the wing, stab, and fin so that eats power. Its OK when you go 60-70 mph but is an issue at 100 mph.
can anyone explain this or take a picture explaining..wow didnt know this..
jjh24 is offline Find More Posts by jjh24
Last edited by jjh24; Nov 12, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:48 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,291 Posts
Thick trailing edges cause drag. The faster you go the more power you need to over come the drag as power goes up with the speed to the third power.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2011, 08:03 PM
soKali, Chino
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Thick trailing edges cause drag. The faster you go the more power you need to over come the drag as power goes up with the speed to the third power.
gotcha..wow..i never knew
jjh24 is offline Find More Posts by jjh24
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:57 PM
Goshen, OH
Joined Aug 2010
121 Posts
Quote:

So then, is it as easy as simply sanding down the trailing edge to a point? Or should the entire thickness of the wing be shaved down?
-Jesse
jesses151 is offline Find More Posts by jesses151
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:14 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,291 Posts
The trailing edges are just one part of it. The key is total model drag reduction. Any drag reduction will gain you more speed. Simply sanding the trailing edge thinner may or may not work depending how it is done because you are altering the airfoil by sanding it. You can reduce trailing edge drag but then gain profile drag from the modified airfoil section if the sanding is too abrupt. Thin airfoils have less drag, smooth surfaces have less drag. The ducting, control rods in the airstream, it all adds up. The Alfa F86 I had would go much faster on the same watts as the EPO F86 they now sell same as the Mig 15. On 4S the they go about 100 mph @ 600 watts the alfa kits were over 115 mph on the same watts. If you were to put them next to each other you would see the differences in how they are built.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:14 PM
HOW FAST WAS THAT!!!
Platte City, MO
Joined Feb 2008
53 Posts
deleted, sorry
earshottank22 is offline Find More Posts by earshottank22
Last edited by earshottank22; Dec 29, 2011 at 03:24 PM.