Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:17 AM
Find More Posts by Parkk
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy View Post
I'm pretty much the school of thought that lighter is always better. That's why I peeled the decals off and sprayed a very light paint graphic. The decals weighed a full ounce. The weight savings between the 1300 and 850 is another 1.5 ounce. The Calypso will handle light breeze just fine and I have not had the opportunity to fly in any real wind that may require I throw in the 1300. We may have different requirements though as like I said I use mine for ALES contests only and even when I practice I only run the motor for 30 seconds per flight.
Thanks for the idea! I removed all the decals except a few on the fus. I didn't put a scale to it but I can tell a difference in how it feels!
Parkk is offline Find More Posts by Parkk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2016, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by Vertigo II
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
1,386 Posts
I peeled off the gay looking stock graphics and much prefer the clean all white look up top. The ugly graphics were hiding the lines of the airplane IMO. I peeled the green stripes from the bottom and replaced them with black. The black shows up well for me at high altitude. I left the "Calypso" sticker on each side of the nose, but I cut away the green stripe.

Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:03 PM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
2,205 Posts
You should take some white (electrical) tape and cover up the black spar that shows underneath the wings.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by CalypsoBaron
Joined Jan 2016
28 Posts
Calypso Sailplane 5.8 ghz fpv (2 min 38 sec)
CalypsoBaron is offline Find More Posts by CalypsoBaron
Old Feb 26, 2016, 04:01 PM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
2,205 Posts
Beautiful! And that's some space to fly in!
Old Mar 04, 2016, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by CalypsoBaron
Joined Jan 2016
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Beautiful! And that's some space to fly in!
much thanks! she's a great bird for foam sailplane.

here's my latest. Had a bad landing approach and she took some damage

RC River Thermaling (4 min 28 sec)
CalypsoBaron is offline Find More Posts by CalypsoBaron
Old Apr 02, 2016, 08:21 AM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
2,205 Posts
So what's this shown at the Toledo show??????

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...0-IMG_5371.jpg
Old Apr 02, 2016, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by makattack
Member, CRRC
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Nov 2013
553 Posts
Hmm, a micro three channel version? I rarely fly my UMX radian when I can fly my full size calypso instead in more varied wind conditions. I guess it's great for indoor flying.
makattack is online now Find More Posts by makattack
Old Apr 02, 2016, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,949 Posts
What that heck a micro Calypso??? WOW! That would look really nice with my UM Radian . Really cool want to get one for sure.
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Apr 02, 2016, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by Jimmbbo
Murphy was an optimist!
Joined Oct 2003
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
So what's this shown at the Toledo show??????
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...0-IMG_5371.jpg
Looks like Flyzone sees a market for UMX gliders..
Nothing on their website, and a web search turns up blanks, so will have to see what transpires...
I enjoy flying the UMX Radian, and have four larger gliders including the Calypso, so am unsure if another UMX glider is in the cards, but if the price is right and it's a good flier....
Jimmbbo is offline Find More Posts by Jimmbbo
Old Apr 02, 2016, 06:16 PM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmbbo View Post
...but if the price is right and it's a good flier....
Exactly! You can never have too many!
Old Apr 02, 2016, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by G-LO
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,455 Posts
Same here...I'm just greedy like that, I suppose
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Apr 17, 2016, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
1,317 Posts
Great day of slope soaring with my Calpyso today here in Tucson. A buddy and I were battling it out combat wise! Lots of fun! Cant wait for the mini to come out.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old Apr 19, 2016, 08:50 AM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
2,205 Posts
Well, my Calypso smacked into a tree at full throttle climbing. Combination of depth perception and where the sun was shining and I thought it was behind the tree when in reality it was in the font! Now if the leaves were out, it would have been much easier to notice front or behind.

It was stuck in a tree 40 ft. high for only 24 hours when the winds took it down and it landed on the tail feather.

Anyway, bent motor shaft, broken canopy, sheared single blade, messed up back of fuse due to the drop, broken hinge on rudder. Wings are ok. One has a dent on the LE but fixable and won't interfere with flight.

So I'm debating getting only the broken parts and use the old wings or rekit with the ARF airframe.

Like anything else, often the entire plane is cheaper once you buy 2-3 separate parts.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by makattack
Member, CRRC
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Nov 2013
553 Posts
A weekend of Calypso calamities this past one! MK, sorry to hear of the damage. Do be careful with the messed up tail feathers. I'm still learning with my Calypso and brought it out for the first time since last year. I had it setup with flaps, and have a crow/brake mode setup, but still not confident with using it for fear of stalling. So, after 3 flights and landings, with the last one a little rough because I misjudged the approach and with flaps fully deployed still managed to overshoot my landing to end up ontop of a winch setup at my field. Funny enough, I pulled up to avoid it but didn't hit the motor switch, so all I did was drop the tail ontop of a pokey piece of metal that resulted in a small hole dead center on the rear of the fuselage towards the tail feathers.

It all looked ok, and I even put a new battery in and tested the control surfaces.

Unfortunately, I didn't test it with the motor running. When I launched, the tail feathers came apart -- due to the screw holding it all being loose.

Not sure if it had worked itself loose over time or if impacting the winch, which resulted in a harder landing than normal shook it loose.

Thankfully, the damage was minimal, but only with luck. I have it programmed so the motor is on a switch, with a slider to adjust the amount of throttle. As I launched it, again, I wasn't quick enough to flip the switch to turn off the motor before it hit the ground (no elevator authority at all) at about 70% throttle. I was lucky because it turned out the grub screws holding the folding prop adapter/bracket were loose, and the whole assembly just spun off the motor shaft. Shaft is still true and seems fine, but I was lucky. I did apply thread locker to the grub screws, and also the screws holding the spinner onto the assembly since they were all loose. Heck, even the screws holding the props onto the adapter were loose. I've also now since glued the horizontal/vertical stab together and glued the whole thing onto the tail. As you said, these things have come down in price so much that it might be more expensive the replace pieces than the whole plane.

In fact, I might go with a different foamie glider, if I wreck this one completely. One with two different power options:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Or this one with a plastic / composite fuselage:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
makattack is online now Find More Posts by makattack
Last edited by makattack; Apr 19, 2016 at 10:28 AM.