Old Jul 07, 2016, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by Quade2000
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
Alert
Aquacraft Cajun Commander Epic Fail x 2!!

2 brand new boats, dead in water in under 5mins!

Check out my video on YT...

Aquacraft Cajun Commander Epic Fail x 2 !! (11 min 27 sec)

I will be posting my progress and there will be a follow up video.

Let's see how this goes....
Quade2000 is offline Find More Posts by Quade2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2016, 06:25 AM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
6,494 Posts
Hi Quade,

Sorry to hear about your bad first experience with these airboats.

Regarding the quality of the components used (or lack thereof), understand that these boats are assembled in China, use the cheapest parts they can get away with and quality control is somewhat of a hit and miss.
What the parts cost in China is less than a quarter of what you've paid for it, most likely even a lot less.

So what you have is a cheap toy and if it lasts longer than expected, you're lucky, if not, it's bad luck.

The fact almost all 'high end' Chinese produced items need some form of 'upgrading' to work reliable, is the story you read on all forums dealing with these products.
There are exeptions, but you won't find them in this price segment.

Having said this, I must say I'm (price wise) very happy with my Far East manufactured products, as I set my standards for what IŽll receive, very low and spend the time to improve their reliability.
These prices allow me to run (mainly) boats and motors in sizes I would otherwise not be able to afford.

Not being familiar with the laws in Canada, I think the seller should offer full warranty (and in turn take it up with their distributer/manufacturer).

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jul 08, 2016, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by ZZ56
Nickel Belter
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2009
1,077 Posts
You shouldn't need a metal-gear hi-torque servo for that application. An average standard-size servo will be a lot better than those garbage ones Aquacraft supplied.
ZZ56 is online now Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Jul 10, 2016, 11:39 PM
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled View Post
Hi Quade,

Sorry to hear about your bad first experience with these airboats.

Regarding the quality of the components used (or lack thereof), understand that these boats are assembled in China, use the cheapest parts they can get away with and quality control is somewhat of a hit and miss.
What the parts cost in China is less than a quarter of what you've paid for it, most likely even a lot less.

So what you have is a cheap toy and if it lasts longer than expected, you're lucky, if not, it's bad luck.

The fact almost all 'high end' Chinese produced items need some form of 'upgrading' to work reliable, is the story you read on all forums dealing with these products.
There are exeptions, but you won't find them in this price segment.

Having said this, I must say I'm (price wise) very happy with my Far East manufactured products, as I set my standards for what IŽll receive, very low and spend the time to improve their reliability.
These prices allow me to run (mainly) boats and motors in sizes I would otherwise not be able to afford.

Not being familiar with the laws in Canada, I think the seller should offer full warranty (and in turn take it up with their distributer/manufacturer).

Regards, Jan.
Jan,
My expectations for the product was based on watching almost all the 200+ videos on YT and not seeing a single complaint on the steering servo. And to have both of them die in under 5mins is just crazy, shocking even for cheap crap. On that note, research and initial hands on inspection of the product gives the appearance of genuine quality all around, revealing a hobby grade build. The plastics are solid. The prop guard is powder coated metal. There are wood supports epoxied inside the hull. The entire steering assembly from servo to flaps and all hardware between is solid and no slop! The bottom of the hatch has wood support and a thin foam seal.
I will say everything about the Tactic radio is the cheap part. I don't see this as a low price point either...

I'm just about wrapped up with Aquacraft on this, will post full detailed results tomorrow I hope. Luck me, we have a possible mail strike happening on monday, that's the last thing we're working on....

Old Jul 11, 2016, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
4,690 Posts
Just some food for thought. I do not think I would be so quick to judge the TATIC Radio system as being the reason for the failures. When you buy the TATIC system (3 channels) form Great Plans or Tower Hobbies, it does not come with servos. The servos you show in the boat are not even listed as a TATIC servo by Great Planes.

I have used the TATIC radio systems and found them to work as advertized using either standard HITEC servos for general duty or the TATIC Heavy Duty (high torque), metal gear servo for extreme duty.

When watching the video you posted it looks for all the world like the servos HOBBY KING lists on their web site for very little money. It could be that there has been in a change in the way they are now assembling the RTR boats now being imported by Great Plans.

KMOT was one of the first forum members who posted a video of the air boat running in his back yard with his dog chasing. The video was not only funny but it showed the air boat being put thru its paces on the wet grass in the back yard.

Maybe KMOT can be asked what came in his air boat and how it has performed for him as one of the first ones shown here on the forum.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:10 AM
Joined Dec 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
Just some food for thought. I do not think I would be so quick to judge the TATIC Radio system as being the reason for the failures. When you buy the TATIC system (3 channels) form Great Plans or Tower Hobbies, it does not come with servos. The servos you show in the boat are not even listed as a TATIC servo by Great Planes.

I have used the TATIC radio systems and found them to work as advertized using either standard HITEC servos for general duty or the TATIC Heavy Duty (high torque), metal gear servo for extreme duty.

When watching the video you posted it looks for all the world like the servos HOBBY KING lists on their web site for very little money. It could be that there has been in a change in the way they are now assembling the RTR boats now being imported by Great Plans.

KMOT was one of the first forum members who posted a video of the air boat running in his back yard with his dog chasing. The video was not only funny but it showed the air boat being put thru its paces on the wet grass in the back yard.

Maybe KMOT can be asked what came in his air boat and how it has performed for him as one of the first ones shown here on the forum.
Frank,

I should clarify that I was speaking to the comments from Jan. If I had to label anything about the boat as cheap or low price point, it would be the Tactic Radio. But... The radio does perform perfectly and is surprisingly very programmable! Can't say how awesome the extra 3rd chan is for custom lights, (soon to be adjustable front wing). I don't think I ever blamed failure on the Radio, focus is on Servo. The Servo in the boat is a Tactic TSX102.

Again, I don't see this as a low price point product and does not even look or feel cheap.

Quade
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
25,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post

I have never had an issue with the radio system, or the steering servo. Even after crashing into a concrete wall, twice, and the airboat flipping over, twice, and submerging the electronics.

YMMV...
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
4,690 Posts
Quade2000-I think I have to go back to my original statement in that Great Planes/Tower Hobbies, do not even list that TATIC Servo (TSX120) for sale.

I think that servo included in the RTR version of the air boat might have been changed out at manufacture in China.

KMOT is the servo in your boat the same as what he says he has in his boat?
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by Rudy Ackerman
Houston, TX USA
Joined Nov 2000
640 Posts
Ok replace the servo on the one boat, and see if you can return the other boat with the bad motor shaft.

Looking at the radio box and how the wires are just stuffed in there, could the servo arm have caught on the wires and locked up taking out the gears. Just a thought . . . . .

As others have said we are dealing with cheap Chinese products here.

I have a large scale war bird that came with all electronics, servos, esc, electric retract gear. During pre flight check the BEC in the ESC appears to have shorted out and applied the full 4S battery voltage to all the electrics burning them out. I have been asked to ship it back for warranty
Rudy Ackerman is offline Find More Posts by Rudy Ackerman