Old Mar 11, 2016, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by FOGeologist
Flying again - 4th time
United States, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2016
23 Posts
Discussion
Guidance needed - control horn broken on PZ P51 UMX

I've flown my P-51 UMX bird now about 17 times - in the last 3 flights, I've crashed it a couple-five times or so. I have a replacement nose cone on the way, and a wing...

But the rudder control horn is broken and I don't know what to do. Any hints or suggestions?
FOGeologist is offline Find More Posts by FOGeologist
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2016, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by cmdl
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
13,264 Posts
Horn is broken by itself or separated from the rudder?
Former: You can epoxy it back together.
Latter: You may want to ask here what glue is best. I'm guessing epoxy or CA should be fine but ask them.

It also helps if you post pics.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Mar 11, 2016, 09:05 PM
Flying again - 4th time
Joined Jan 2016
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
Horn is broken by itself or separated from the rudder?
Former: You can epoxy it back together.
Latter: You may want to ask here what glue is best. I'm guessing epoxy or CA should be fine but ask them.

It also helps if you post pics.
I'll post pics soonest - good call.

The horn disappeared after I wound down the battery so far that it couldn't handle the sudden, 15 knot gusts that came out of nowhere right at that second (I know, I know) and I crashed the bird into my neighbor's truck. Weird, huh? No damage to the tail - just a broken horn.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by cmdl
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
13,264 Posts
Fyi, don't fly the cell too low. Make sure the voltage is >= 3.7volts unloaded at the end of each flight.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Mar 12, 2016, 06:59 AM
Find More Posts by OldRCNut
Still Flying
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Mar 2013
241 Posts
Control Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOGeologist View Post
I've flown my P-51 UMX bird now about 17 times - in the last 3 flights, I've crashed it a couple-five times or so. I have a replacement nose cone on the way, and a wing...

But the rudder control horn is broken and I don't know what to do. Any hints or suggestions?
Make yourself a new horn. Cut it out of a milk container or similar plastic that is stiff but slightly flexable so you can get it together. Look around for packaging or a container like a freezer container you can cut up. Glue it in place with Go2glue or gorilla glue. Do not use CA as it will not stick to the plastic very well.
OldRCNut is offline Find More Posts by OldRCNut
Last edited by OldRCNut; Mar 13, 2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:03 AM
Flying again - 4th time
Joined Jan 2016
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRCNut View Post
Make yourself a new horn. Cut it out of a milk container or similar plastic that is stiff but slightly flexable so you can get it together. Look around for packagingq or a container like a freezer container you can cut up. Glue it in place with Go2glue or gorilla glue. Do not use CA as it will not stick to the plastic very well.
OK - That seems like a great idea. Thanks!