SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:58 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,721 Posts
Discussion
Horizon Hobby Electric Warbirds for 2015

Okay gang, let's get this party started !

Someone on Leo's Parkzone Warbirds for 2014 thread suggested we should open a Horizon Hobby Warbird thread as it seemed that would be more inclusive of all of HH's lines and would more accurately reflect/represent the Warbirds that we're starting to see come out under various Horizon Hobby brands....

Yes, gone are the days when we could count on Parkzone releasing two or more Warbirds a year; indeed, this year has seen the unthinkable...the old F4U Corsair coming out in a fresh new paint scheme, AS3X/SAFE and released under the Hobbyzone brand !
F4U Corsair S with SAFE™ Technology by HobbyZone (3 min 40 sec)

Next, we saw the introduction of Horizon's first full-house, 6 channel warbird, a very nice P-51D, this time under the E-flite brand
P-51D Mustang BNF Basic with AS3X® Technology by E-flite (2 min 18 sec)

Neither of these fine models was Parkzone !

So what's going on?

It appears the folks in Champaign are revamping their line-up ever so slightly, and it doesn't seem that there's much concern about whether a Warbird is released under a specific brand, rather, the emphasis appears to be placed on it's intended use/purpose. In other words, trainers will likely find themselves under the Hobbyzone branding, true parkflyers under Parkzone's auspices, and of course E-flite still occupies the top spot for scale details, etc.

At least that's the way it seems....

ALL electric warbird models for 2015 that fall under Horizon's banner will be welcome to be discussed here; UMX, parkflyer, whatever. Even most Hangar 9 warbirds have an electric option so they naturally would be right at home on this thread....

Wild speculation, careful market analysis, whatever your mode of determining what Horizon has up it's sleeve is all welcome here....because frankly, I don't see any other way to figure out what Horizon has in store for 2015 !

Let's Roll...
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:09 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
......what Horizon has in store for 2015 !
A lot, let's hope!

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:26 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,337 Posts
Personally, I am still hoping for a P-39...
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:32 PM
Georgetown IN
Joined Jul 2010
994 Posts
I'd like to see:

Frank Luke's SPAD
A Wildcat with retracts (dreaming, I know)
Alternate fuselages sold as separate items. For example, a razorback fuse that fits P-47D wing, tail and electrics. And of course a P-51B fuse that fits the newly released P-51D.
10AE is online now Find More Posts by 10AE
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:39 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Jan 2011
258 Posts
Hoping for either a P-38, Hellcat, or updated Wildcat with retracts.
F106DeltaDart is online now Find More Posts by F106DeltaDart
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,721 Posts
I hope so too, pug !

I agree Clem, a P-39 would be awesome....BUT....I'm not sure Horizon would be willing to do a larger, 1100mm or so, parkflyer. I'm almost certain they are trying to go towards full house models, and the P-39's intricate landing gear (the nose in particular) would be problematic at the very least. If anything, they'd probably do another 26" wingspan model, but even that would be stretching it....

I personally feel the P-39 lends itself more to being a belly-lander, and I think Horizon's leaning away from that....

It's interesting to look at what's going on over with the Hobbyzone F4U and the E-flite P-51.....very small thread counts, even though the planes have been talked about for months. Very uncommon for a Horizon release not to have a thread that exceeds 50 posts even BEFORE the model hits the shores....interesting.

I wonder if this is an indicator, and if it is, what does it indicate?

Market saturation with regards to the P-51?

Price-Point with regards to the Corsair?

Maybe folks just don't have the disposable income anymore....who knows....

I think 2015 will be a very interesting year for Horizon....just how interesting it will be for us Warbird fans remains a mystery....
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,721 Posts
And yes, Wildcat fans are still disappointed/confused about the demise of our pugnacious, scrappy little fighter....!

That said, I doubt the gang in Champaign will try to mimic the Wildcat's landing gear on a 1100mm Warbird. Not that I wouldn't like to see them try, mind you, but I'm not sure it could be done reliably and in a cost effective manner...I personally didn't think there was anything wrong with it being a belly-lander.....they do have their place. As mentioned earlier, a P-39 belly-lander about the size of our beloved Wildcat would be awesome.

You know 10AE, your idea about alternate fuselages is intruiging....wouldn't be too hard to do.....Hmmmm.....

Right now, my money's on either:

A totally new, 6 channel P-47
or
A 6 channel Bearcat to replace the Wildcat....

Why a Bearcat? Simple.....how many do you see being modeled?

Plus, a Bearcat has simple lines, a forgiving wing, etc., etc.

A Hellcat is still not entirely out of the question either....
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:37 PM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
973 Posts
I live a mile from Paine Field, where they have a BearCat and TigerCat stationed. I'd love for them to make BOTH of those.
Suko is offline Find More Posts by Suko
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:37 PM
Gear jammin,Foam crackin!
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Apr 2013
1,317 Posts
Whoa it's not even Halloween!

Still got my birthday and Christmas, Is all hope for 2014 gone, Maybe one more full house would be nice!
A parksize 262 would work nicely in E-Flite's lineup they got a great power system for it and a 105 deg nose wheel And If your talking kit upgrades, Some thing that would compliment a relatively new release would be a ESC and motor with a 3blde prop setup for the Mossie would be nice , cuz the more I fly it the more I like it! such a easy plane to land.
I could see a p-39 in the 280, 300 size like the little Zero and Stang.
As for another full house warbird, hopefully whatever it is, it comes out in 014, and 015 will bring us that many more goodies.
A Civie would be nice, another twin, maybe Beech or Electra!

Not much response up north of the 49th with the new Safe Corsair or the New Mustang the later just getting across the line but priced at $300 and $320 for the Corsair A little steep for both. The Mustang definitely offers more for less, whether the local joe will see that one's designed as a trainer and one's not, will remain to be seen.

The question is, where's Parkzone?
RavenV1 is offline Find More Posts by RavenV1
Last edited by RavenV1; Sep 28, 2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,721 Posts
Where's Parkzone indeed....

I realize we have a bit of 2014 left, but I don't recall Horizon announcing releases this late in the year; I could be wrong, and there's still hope for another Warbird for 2014, but it's waning fast....
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:16 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,669 Posts
I want a Brewster Buffalo, P40, or B17.
nom is online now Find More Posts by nom
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,721 Posts
I'm with you on the F2A......between you, me and Mustangloyd, Horizon would sell at least three of 'em
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM
Sweden, Halland County, Varberg
Joined May 2013
179 Posts
Me262
FW190D
DO335
J37 Viggen
J29 Tunnan
prepps is online now Find More Posts by prepps
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
A little surprised that this thread got started in September, but it gives us plenty of time to speculate and make wild predictions before the new year begins. Thanks Justwingit, you saved me the trouble.

Now to respond to some comments:

Warbirds for 2014: No, that thread is not dead yet. I was sure that there was a certain pattern to the announcements from HH, particularly regarding warbirds, but when I did the research, I found that there does not appear to be any rhyme or reason to their timing. Over the years, the following warbirds have been announced in the final quarter of the year:
- Thunderbolt P-47B in November 2005
- Spitfire MkII in November 2006
- Thunderbolt P-47D in October 2010
- Hawker Sea Fury 480 in November 2011
- Mosquito MkVI in October 2013
Not a lot, but hope springs eternal.

Where is ParkZone? It seems that Horizon Hobby is trying to establish clearer lines between their brands. HobbyZone has been, and will continue to be, strictly for beginners. Although the Corsair S is a warbird, it is primarily being sold as a beginner plane, which is why it falls under the HZ brand. If the Corsair S sells really well, I would not be surprised if a T-28 Trojan S joins the HobbyZone line-up. I'm also figuring that the Champ is long overdue for an AS3X upgrade. The exception to the rule was the Apprentice which was targeted toward club fliers and with it's high price seemed incongruous with the rest of the HZ line-up. I doubt if there will be any non-HZ beginner planes in the future. ParkZone is intended primarily for the intermediate flyer: the flyer who learned to fly with an HZ plane and is now ready to move up. But they want the advanced flyer to be able to upgrade the plane if they so desire. The planes are designed to be capable of being operated by the entry level radios: DX4e and DX5e. They will offer planes that are primarily 4-channel, but include options for the advanced flyers. I think that we will still see some warbirds under the PZ banner, but not as many as before. The planes will be primarily in the 1100mm size and with 2200mah batteries. The confusion of UMs has been ironed out with all future UMs coming out under the Eflite brand. The Dallas Doll became an Eflite release because it was offered full house and needs at least a 6-channel radio. If the plane sells well, you can bet there will be further full house warbirds released under the Eflite brand. HH indicated that they were waiting to see how the Mosquito sold before committing to another twin. I'm sure that they will also wait to see how the full house Mustang sells before committing to another full house warbird. I fully expect that we will see another PZ warbird while HH evaluates the sales of the Dallas Doll.

I'm sure that somewhere in the deep recesses of the product development group at HH someone is trying to come up with a way to make the P-39 so that the booms are not a failure point, but that the manufacturing process for the strong booms still allows the plane to be issued at a reasonable price. I'm equally sure that someone is also working on a means to have a parksized P-40 with the traditional excellent flying characteristics that we have come to expect from PZ warbirds.

My prediction: The next warbird from HH will be under the PZ brand and it will be an unexpected entry. It will be announced in the fourth quarter of 2014, or January 2015 at the very latest. I'm thinking Dauntless or Avenger, with options for retracts, flaps and bomb drop. This will be followed in late spring of 2015 with the second Eflite full house warbird, either a P-47B Thunderbolt or an F6F Hellcat.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,721 Posts
I totally agree with your analysis Leo; your posts are always well thought out and enjoyable reads.

Indeed, the Warbirds 2014 thread is alive and well, and while there's still hope HH will deliver another warbird, this thread will serve as a great companion thread to speculate on what's around the corner, and then carry on into 2015 once 2014 is said and done.

I agree that the designers at HH are working hard to figure out a way to strengthen the booms on the P-38....something tells me they want it to work, but also want it to be durable; a hallmark of the engineering and thought that traditionally goes into HH designs.

Don't be surprised if a P-38 IS the next twin....

Ah the parkflyer P-40....the much talked about, much requested P-40....I'm sure that's on the drawing boards as well. Perhaps our friend Matt Andren is working on that one as we speak. What model to do though??? And in what scheme??? Me personally, I'd like to see an early version, perhaps in Pearl Harbor colors.....of course, the shark-mouthed AVG color scheme would probably sell better due to recognition/historical significance alone, but it remains to be seen.

I'd love to see a Dauntless or an Avenger, and they'd manage to extract some money from me if either of those fine machines were produced by Horizon...heck, given my penchant for early WWII naval aircraft, I'd probably buy BOTH.....

Finally, I'm also thinking P-47 and or F6F.....
RCG Plus Member