HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2014, 04:07 AM
Germany, HE, Frankfurt
Joined Nov 2013
30 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking Specter 1800mm or Deamon Electric Sailplane Composite 2000mm

Hi!

I'm thinking about buying a new glider. which should I take?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=53913

or

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=52797

I've got some experience in building models and i want a easy to transport glider, but no foam.

Best regards
Christian
christian0007 is online now Find More Posts by christian0007
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:14 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,369 Posts
Looks like the same glider, just 200 mm difference. that means that there is only a 100 mm difference in the length of each wing, about 4". So you have to decide if that matters for your storage or transport.

I would normally go for the larger span for better visibility in thermals.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:15 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,618 Posts
Hi, Christian.

I have a Specter but it's from an earlier production run than currently offered. I really enjoy it and there were only a few minor issues to fix. The provided pushrods needed to be replaced and I needed to rework the servo mount and actually grind the corners off my ruddervator servos to fit in the fuselage. It's also a bit heavier than HK claims and I suspect that they weighed theirs without a battery.

From what I have read about the new batch it sounds like they share the same minor problems. It also appears that they changed the location of the aileron servos so one needs a little creativity to achieve a good fit and, more disturbing, several people have received twisted fuselages. It's not insurmountable but one needs to be aware of Chinese QC issues.
In return one ends up with a very capable general purpose glider. It has a wide speed range, responds to light lift, and I feel comfortable flying mine in high winds. It's also tough as nails and has survived two props breaking at full throttle and a bounce off a tree followed by a 20 foot dead drop straight on the nose.

I have not seen a Daemon in person and there seems to be less information available but I would guess that it has the same issues. As aeajr said the only real difference seems to be a few inches in span.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:22 AM
Germany, HE, Frankfurt
Joined Nov 2013
30 Posts
Thank you for this assessment. The only difference really seems to be the span. what the quality is concerned, I'm not sure if there is nothing better for that price. to read more from the fact that the hull is not quite in order. there is still more to experience?
christian0007 is online now Find More Posts by christian0007