HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:20 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Dec 2003
45 Posts
Discussion
ICE 50 Throttle failsafe with Spektrum receiver

I have an ICE 50 that I'm using with a Spektrum 9000 receiver with fixed endpoints. I'm separately powering the receiver and have disconnected the red wire from the BEC on the controller. Everything works great when I power the transmitter & receiver and then plug the motor battery in. Often times I will plug the motor battery in before turning the radio on and I want to make sure that if I leave the transmitter on full throttle(accidently of course) that the motor will not go to full throttle when I turn the radio on. Well this one does!! All my other CC controllers require that I go back to low throttle before it will arm. This ICE 50 will arm as soon as I plug the motor battery in even with the radio off. If I power the radio first, then plug in the motor battery, the controller will not arm until I return the throttle to the low position.

Is this normal?? Do I need to add an arming plug and/or just make sure I never plug the motor battery in without turning the radio on first?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jim Gibson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Gibson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:18 AM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
the best possible method to ensure your safety is to NEVER plug in the battery before the radio is on and low throttle is double and triple checked .... and that you NEVER turn off the transmitter before disconnecting the main power lead to the esc

simple fact is all of the newer esc's and such have failsafe for the most part but as you have discovered they arent perfect and can cause issues....

be safe TX on FIRST off LAST

Tim
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,549 Posts
Which radio ? Newer ones (DX7s, DX8, DX10 and DX18) have alarms if the throttle is not zero. Also, I would suggest using a throttle cut switch. On my DX18 I have alarms if the throttle cut is not engaged when powering up (heli) and throttle stick is not zero (planes).

Wait. Normally falisafe should work like this: When powering the RX and no TX is on, no signal is output to the ESC. And when you turn on the radio and it transmits full throttle the ESC should not arm. Let me have a look to the AR9000 manual.

There are 2 ways to bind. Either you leave the bind plug the whole time connected or you remove the bind plug when the RX blinks before you enter binding mode on your radio. Try both ways. One is Smart Safe, one is Preset Filsafe.

As mentioned, before connecting your battery make sure the radio is on and throttle cut is enabled. Use your brain when fooling around with RC stuff ! Get used to doing the same checks every time you switch on your radio.
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Last edited by Mukenukem; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM.