HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:11 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Discussion
33% Hanger 9 Pawnee Airplane

The 33% scale Pawnee uses 80-100cc 2-cycle engines.
What would be a very good brushless motor replacement for the 100cc engine equivalent? The 80cc engine weighs 8Lbs., ready to run. The 100cc engine a little heavier.
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:32 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworksco View Post
The 33% scale Pawnee uses 80-100cc 2-cycle engines.
What would be a very good brushless motor replacement for the 100cc engine equivalent? The 80cc engine weighs 8Lbs., ready to run. The 100cc engine a little heavier.
I am not an expert on large scale planes but a 100cc motor is probably in the range of 10 horsepower.

750 watts equals about 1 hp so you need about 7.5 kw.

I have seen this plane fly on a 150cc and it did 3D maneuvers so 80-100cc ought to be fine. The Hacker Q80L produces about 7500 watts and with the right battery should work but it will cost a lot for the motor and battery but then again a 100cc 2 cylinder motor is about 800 bucks plus the gadgets to support a gas system.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...ac-a100-8.html

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Last edited by payne9999; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:41 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Thanks for the Hacker info. Im looking at the motor now.
I have been reading about the new proven breakthroughs with the silicon foam anode/cathodes Lithium batteries by MIT and NorthWestern University.
They have both proven that the new anodes create ten times the density of the currently used LiPo batteries and can charge in less than five minutes. This new technology will make the payload much lighter and the charge cycles are much more than what we have now.
These batteries will be on the shelves in less than two years time.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:43 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the Hacker info. Im looking at the motor now.
I have been reading about the new proven breakthroughs with the silicon foam anode/cathodes Lithium batteries by MIT and NorthWestern University.
They have both proven that the new anodes create ten times the density of the currently used LiPo batteries and can charge in less than five minutes. This new technology will make the payload much lighter and the charge cycles are much more than what we have now.
These batteries will be on the shelves in less than two years time.
Sounds interesting, battery technology seem to be changing weekly.

Dave
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:34 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
I plan to build a single-seat 700Lb. reverse trike roadster that will be 16 ft. Length x 3ft. width. I'm using 1098 Ducati suspension center lock peg hub design with custom machined Ducati design wheel centers that will support stainless steel spokes with aluminum rims. It will use Ducati front brake calipers on all three axles with three rear wheel discs. The single rear wheel will be supported by the Ducati 1098 single sided swingarm. The monocoqe body will be made using Alulight foam sandwich panels. It will be epoxied together similar to the Lotus Elise chassis with screw rivets. The body will look very similar to the 1906 Stanley Rocket , with the body turned around. The rear wheel will be tucked under the rear body section. The roadster will be front-wheel-drive, using a 50HP AC motor with a limited slip differential on belt drive. I figure that if Stanley could speed to 127MPH with this steam powered race car, then I should be able to do the same on a brushless motor. I hope to have it finished in two years time and ready for the new Lithium batteries. Bonneville Salt Flats, here I come ! :^)
Sorry to stray a bit from the aircraft side of the subject.

1906 Stanley Rocket

Last edited by sunworksco; Aug 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:45 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,539 Posts
Very cool, looks like a fun project and with the almost unlimited torque of an electric motor it ought to go like a rocket.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:06 AM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
The Alulight foam sandwich panels and aluminum extrusions really makes it light and the torsional rigidity will be around 15,000psi. More than the Lotus Elise. The epoxy/screw rivet technology is really low volume and low tech production.
The battery pack will be located behind the front drive for perfect CG.
I will be using brake regeneration with the speed controller. There is already an app for the iPad so I will be using that for my dashboard.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:29 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
You might want to have a look at the Turnigy Rotomax 100cc. I just ordered the 50cc version and will be putting it in a warbird. Not much info about these on the internet, at least not much bad info. This motor would be heavier that what was suggested so far but the Pawnee has plenty of room to move batteries around.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r%5FMotor.html

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:49 AM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
I was reading a post on another forum about how the quality is subpar.
The end user had problems with the magnets, etc.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:59 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
I was reading a post on another forum about how the quality is subpar.
The end user had problems with the magnets, etc.
Have you read through this thread? It is in regards to large 3D setups but has a lot of info on the size motors you are considering.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1637259

I am interested in larger aircraft but my budget is limited and there are some interesting comparisons in this thread. I am skeptical of the larger HK motors based on a real dud I got from them in the .32 to .46 size. The magnets on mine broke free and the pieces jammed the motor.

Dave
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:09 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,108 Posts
If you're just looking to fly the plane realistically, then the Hacker A-100 or the Q80 will be OK. However, if you really want it to FLY or tow gliders, then the Hacker A-150 is the motor you need. http://tinyurl.com/bwwj2x9
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:33 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
If you're just looking to fly the plane realistically, then the Hacker A-100 or the Q80 will be OK. However, if you really want it to FLY or tow gliders, then the Hacker A-150 is the motor you need. http://tinyurl.com/bwwj2x9
Wow!
Two thumbs up!
Is there a sound card installed in the cockpit?
It sounds very impressive.
I'm very enthusiastic about making this project now.
Thanks for the video.
The Pawnee appears to be very docile.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:44 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jul 2003
437 Posts
Plettenberg also make some fine motors for large airplanes.
The Terminator 30/8 can be pushed to 5.5 kW (7.5 hp) on 10s and 7 kW (9.5 hp) on 12s.
Weight 970 gram (2.14 lbs)
The Predator 30/8 is rated at 11 kW, and the Predator 37/6 is rated at 15 kW.
Weight 1550 gram and 1900 gram respectively.

As stated earlier by Gordon Tarling, it comes down to how you want to fly the plane. (And how much you want to pay.)
Hangar 9 specification says 60-100cc engine, so you are looking at anything from 4-5 kW and up.
(The Predator 37/6 can outperform a DA200 if required, so way overkill for this application.)

Magne
Magne is offline Find More Posts by Magne
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:16 AM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
I would enjoy some towing, as well.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:24 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,108 Posts
Sunworksco - if you want to do some towing, you're going to need 7 to 10 kW. At that sort of power level, you need to ask yourself how practical it's going to be for you. Charging a 10kW model brings its own challenges and only you will know if you can make it all work or not. Don't be fooled by that video - the model was being flown by one of our best pilots, Ali Machinchy - a man who could loop a brick if it had enough power! Do a Google search for his name and you'll find lots more info. Here's a link to one of Ali's threads - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565043 If you haven't already, you'll find a few threads on this model in the Scale Sailplanes forum - including a bit of info on electric power.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Last edited by GordonTarling; Aug 16, 2012 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Added info