HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskySpade View Post
Welcome! And congratulations on your purchase of the V911. I assure you that once you get ahold of the bird, she will serve you well.

Anyways, I wanted to answer one of your questions.

Those bumps on the skids DO HAVE A PURPOSE!! Do not file them off!! Because of the laws of natural physics, the helicopter has a tendency to drift because of the torque caused by the blades while they're spinning. Those intentional bumps are additional weight added to counteract that natural drift.

I thought the same thing when I got my first V911, but fortunately, thanks to MakDaddy, he enlightened me and told me the purpose that those bumps serve. Glad I didn't file them off!
Right answer, wrong explanation!

All FP helicopters will naturally drift to the left on takeoff. The bumps are there to lean the helicopter a bit to the right so it takes off more vertically. It will still drift a bit to the left, so you need to counter with right aileron, but the bumps help.

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorthamers View Post
- Getting the battery in is hárd, is that right? The battery holder seems to be very much on the small side, and since you can only hold the canopy this poor piece of plastic gets quite the beating, is this alright? It's hinging a bit around it's 4 support points.
It's tight at first but will loosen up the more you use it. I grip the battery holder on each side (see attached picture) while being careful not to squeeze too tight or it will make the battery even harder to get in. I think it's a bad idea to hold the canopy.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskySpade View Post
Thats what I was told and maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps you're right and it doesn't make a big difference. I've chosen not to file them off because WL Toys obviously put those there for a reason.

I guess the conclusion is: file at your own risk!
I didn't clip then on any of mine either; but as I mentioned copule post before, since the skids are too thin, if you keep the heli standing all the time, there may be a moment they won't help much.
But I do remember the Y911 doesn't have them, but now I'm wondering if the 9958 has them... I'll check when I get home.
jfdpl686 is offline Find More Posts by jfdpl686
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,368 Posts
I like to use nail clippers to clip off those bumps on the skid. The Heli looks better to me. Those bump doesn't help as far as I can tell. I just learn to natural give some aileron on lift off.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,368 Posts
Only the solo pro, v911 and Helios has them.

Blade mSR and 9958 tilt their main shaft already.

The y911 takes after the Solo Pro and v911 design, however it doesn't have them.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Oct 11, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromnewo View Post

All FP helicopters will naturally drift to the left on takeoff. The bumps are there to lean the helicopter a bit to the right so it takes off more vertically. It will still drift a bit to the left, so you need to counter with right aileron, but the bumps help.

Owen
Thanks for clarifying
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:52 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromnewo View Post

Owen
No expert here, but I think all single rotor heli's (FP and CP) have that tendency, due to tail rotor? (Maybe less so for CP for various reasons.)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Last edited by stonecutter; Oct 11, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:56 PM
USA, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Nov 2009
153 Posts
I have quite a collection of FP micro heli's. The V911 has less of a tendency to drift left on takeoff than the others. When I fly one of the others I have to grab a handful of right aileron on takeoff.
MWShelton is offline Find More Posts by MWShelton
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
I have a V911 that has only been flown a few times and has a problem. I need some help figuring out what the problem is. When I have it at full throttle the main motor is really slow. Does this mean the main motor is fried or could the board be bad? The tail motor seems to be working just fine.
HogansHeroes is offline Find More Posts by HogansHeroes
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,648 Posts
Ok so it seems that I can just get any bnf v911 and convert it to take my little 160 eflight batts. I just don't want to have to buy yet another charger and batts. But will it hold in the stock skids?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Ok so it seems that I can just get any bnf v911 and convert it to take my little 160 eflight batts. I just don't want to have to buy yet another charger and batts. But will it hold in the stock skids?
I think daryoon said the yellow clone skids can.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13412
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
Hmkay, as long as they're there with a purpose I leave them on, thanks!
Anyone got the answer to the question whether there's a risk in moving the swashplate without a battery? (The servo then acting as a generator and the energy not beind able to go anywhere)
And anyone else admit that inserting the battery is rather difficult?
bmoorthamers is offline Find More Posts by bmoorthamers
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
So today, I received my replacement V911 in the mail. I ordered this replacement from TMart last Thursday, and even with paying for better shipping, it took 8 days to get to my doorstep from the US warehouse.

I purchased the "New Arrival" V911 with expectations that I'd receive the new battery connection. Well I didn't, I received the old battery connection. So the batteries with my first V911 (and the spares I ordered) won't be compatible. Damn!

However, on the bright side, earlier this week I received my order of five 150mAh batteries in the old style. I was going to return them, but I'm happy I haven't put them in the mail yet! I can use them now! As they fit my new V911 with the old style battery connection.

So the next step, is to fix my first V911. I'll have to get some replacement blades that fit it but hopefully, I can get it back in the air soon, as I'm going to have an abundance of batteries of both types.

The other thing I noticed with my new V911 is that the box is smaller. Its a square instead of a rectangle, and of course, it comes with all the stuff that its supposed to, just in smaller packaging. Just a side note I thought i'd mention.

Well, its time to charge these batteries so I can get this bird in the air! Very happy to be flying the V911 once again!
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorthamers View Post
Hmkay, as long as they're there with a purpose I leave them on, thanks!
Anyone got the answer to the question whether there's a risk in moving the swashplate without a battery? (The servo then acting as a generator and the energy not beind able to go anywhere)
And anyone else admit that inserting the battery is rather difficult?
If you mean you moved the servo arms w/ no battery inserted, that won't hurt the heli. And yes, I found the battery connector a bit tight at the beginning but after a few flights it loosens up.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
If you mean you moved the servo arms w/ no battery inserted, that won't hurt the heli. And yes, I found the battery connector a bit tight at the beginning but after a few flights it loosens up.
Try to avoid moving them. Because if they don't move, the gears will strip.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC