Looks just fine to me
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:14 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,019 Posts
Anyone got any ideas for a good replacement tailwheel? I don't mind if it weighs a little... The plane is pretty nose-heavy. I'd like something a little more robust than the stock one... it didn't hold up that well.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:44 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Anyone got any ideas for a good replacement tailwheel? I don't mind if it weighs a little... The plane is pretty nose-heavy. I'd like something a little more robust than the stock one... it didn't hold up that well.
http://www.whiteroseeng.com/products/tf.html there is one for 20-30% aeroplanes!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:50 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
In 2009, the DLE was a side carburetor engine, while the newer ones are a rear carb. They are not the same crankcase....(at least not the rear part)

SteveT.
A guy at my club has a new DLE30 on a new plane he hasn't maidened yet. I told him about this idle cutout issue mentioned on this forum and he said he knew about it, but that it was only on the older side carb DLE30, not the newer rear carb. So is it true that the rear carbs don't have this issue?
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:54 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,118 Posts
I WISH THAT WAS TRUE!!
I have a Rear Carb and have nothing but that same exact issue that the old side carbs were having. I hope he has better luck that what I have been having with mine. On Monday I am going to be making a phone call to Tower asking this to take this motor back and applying it toward the price on the OS Motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
A guy at my club has a new DLE30 on a new plane he hasn't maidened yet. I told him about this idle cutout issue mentioned on this forum and he said he knew about it, but that it was only on the older side carb DLE30, not the newer rear carb. So is it true that the rear carbs don't have this issue?
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:57 PM
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
I have not posted anything because I am not a 100% yet. I took it to this guys house that has years of Experience. I replaced all the fuel line and before he was started working on it it was only running at 130 Degrees (that was where it had to run to get the damn thing to run good. By the time I left he had it running around 200 Degrees and it does not die when we flip it from Inverted to regular.(It still bogs down a bit, but he wants me to get some gallons through it because it is brand new and then he is going to evaulate it again. So to answer your question. **I am not sure** Once I get 3-4 Gallons through it I will let you know.....but it is running a hell of a lot better then what it was! (So maybe this whole time it was operator error, but I am not sure yet. If this don't work I will be on the phone with tower making them swap me out with a OS
Is your DLE30 a side or rear carb? (sorry, just saw you answered this in the post to Steve.)
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:59 PM
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Quote:
I WISH THAT WAS TRUE!!
I have a Rear Carb and have nothing but that same exact issue that the old side carbs were having. I hope he has better luck that what I have been having with mine. On Monday I am going to be making a phone call to Tower asking this to take this motor back and applying it toward the price on the OS Motor.
I guess I could go back and read your threads, but did you say that even a second, brand new DLE30 did the same thing? Seems like I read that somewhere.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:03 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,118 Posts
Yeah this is the second brand new engine and am having the same exact problem. It seems like when I tune it just right I can get it to where it wants to stay running, but still is not right. I have isolated the problem directly to the engine.(I have a full 2 page list of things that I have did and tried, but I wont get into all of that. I do not have too many good things to say about this DLE 30 Engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
I guess I could go back and read your threads, but did you say that even a second, brand new DLE30 did the same thing? Seems like I read that somewhere.
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:14 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
http://www.whiteroseeng.com/products/tf.html there is one for 20-30% aeroplanes!
Thanks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for under $20 lol
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:48 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,381 Posts
The Sullivan tail wheel bracket should work. Only $10
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:56 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

oh come on! on 1000$ aeroplane how can you be so cheap as to worry for extra 90$ ?
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:09 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

Call or drop Mike an email at Mile High RC. This one looks decent and it's $26.
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:22 AM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Yeah this is the second brand new engine and am having the same exact problem. It seems like when I tune it just right I can get it to where it wants to stay running, but still is not right. I have isolated the problem directly to the engine.(I have a full 2 page list of things that I have did and tried, but I wont get into all of that. I do not have too many good things to say about this DLE 30 Engine.
Seems strange that the DLE 55's run OK and the smaller ones have the idle cut out problem. I tried everything on a dle 20 and I don't think it ever landed w/o dieng after roll out. Had to also add a choke servo and keep it partially closed.I think the smaller ones are plauged with air leaks. Maybe a diecasting problem, they don't have enough ram pressure and poorly designed molds for the smaller engine. This leads to porosity in the casting (like a sintered mat'l) Higher sales on the 55 may allow more investment. Maybe they should buy mold flow software. Then their prices would maybe have to increase.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:35 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,450 Posts
The dle 35cc is a great running motor. We have 4 of them at our club with no issues from any of them. They run great and are very smooth.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:41 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,450 Posts
We have 2 dle 55s and a dle 111 and they run great at the field( l have flown all these motors). In all honesty the Dle 111 in the 104 slick is the smoothest gas motor l have ever flown. Its almost like flying an electric.