HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:06 PM
Joined Mar 2007
611 Posts
Discussion
Catamaran sailing any difference?

Seems like they don't steer as well. Anyone have any experience with one? Thanks Ron
darticus is offline Find More Posts by darticus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:37 PM
Excess Ballast
Prior Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2004
34 Posts
Always wanted to try one, but havent yet. Maybe a future build... From what I remember the biggest issue is recovery if you tip them over. If you have an extra radio channel you can rig up a winch and put a float at the top of the mast to make it self righting.
andyzib is offline Find More Posts by andyzib
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:39 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,056 Posts
Would have to see what is happening before making any comment. Sorry
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:22 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
Seems like they don't steer as well. Anyone have any experience with one? Thanks Ron
Unless my eye deceive me that is a Beili Gemini 600 from HobbyKIng?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ay_600mm_.html

I have not seen one but I hear they are a real challenge to tack through the wind....
It might sail better if you did away with the motor and the big heavy battery. It will also need work to get the sails into the correct shape.... a topping lift on the jib would be a good start.

The sails on all the Beil boats leave a good bit to be desired. This boat share some components with the Discovery 500, rigging is very similar. I replaced the sails on my Discovery 500 with Mylar; also reduced the high up weight and it went better....
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:49 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,932 Posts
Model cats work the same as the real ones. There is always the right way to do things. Keel boats use momentum (head reach) to help make the turn through the wind. Cats have the disadvantage of having to slide two hulls around during the turn without the mass of the keel.
On my little Victor cat, I found it worked better if I fell off a bit to build up speed, then release the sheet a bit to flatten the boat and make the turn. Not too fast, as you don't want to kill boat speed, but fast enough that you carve a nice arc.
And making sure your sails are proving the balanced drive you need is a given.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave