HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:00 AM
Joined Nov 2013
9 Posts
Discussion
px-16

hey guys i have a px-16 boat i have striped all electronics out going to put a cupple of peaces of fiberglass cloth in it. Does anyone have pics of how to put a single motor in it
billyboy247 is offline Find More Posts by billyboy247
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:31 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,792 Posts
Hi Billyboy,

You could use the pictures of the Apparition cat on HK (or any single motor cat set-up) as a guideline:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ll_800mm_.html

Fiberglass / epoxy doesn't stick very well to ABS.
Some knowledge on how to go about reinforcing a plastic hull with it is required, to avoid dissappointment.

I had this very hull in my hands yesterday and the material is very thin, so be careful with solvents on the ABS.
Don't use polyester resin, as it'll soften / deform the plastic (most likely beyond recognition...)

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:41 AM
Joined Nov 2013
9 Posts
ok so how do i reinfrce it than
Old Dec 31, 2013, 04:07 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,792 Posts
Hi Billyboy,

In order to get epoxy resin and glasscloth to stick to ABS, you need to work the first layer of glasscloth (use thin material like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0fiber%20cloth ) into the surface of the ABS using Acetone, or MEK.
The fumes of both are a health hazard, so work in a well ventilated area!

Use as little Acetone as possible and work in small sections, as Acetone will dissolve the ABS when you overdo it.

Apply the Acetone with a small brush, so you have control over the amount you put on (I can't stress this enough).

The ABS will become sticky temporarily, so put on the glasscloth and tap it into the partially dissolved ABS, using the brush with some Acetone on it to further soften the ABS if required.

When the Acetone has evaporated completely and the ABS has become solid again, do the next section.
Don't be tempted to do the entire center section (or any other large part) at once, the solvent will reek havoc with your hull.

Once the entire hull, or at least the sponsons, center section and transom have been done this way, you can lightly sand the surface, degrease it with break cleaner and add further layers of glasscloth and epoxy to beef up the hull.

Be aware this is a tidious job and will take quite a lot of time.
The result will be a stiffer hull which is heavier than a new fiberglass one of the same size.

The outside will also need some work in the form of sharpening the trailing edges of the transom and steps to reduce drag.

Regards, Jan.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled View Post
Hi Billyboy,

In order to get epoxy resin and glasscloth to stick to ABS, you need to work the first layer of glasscloth (use thin material like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0fiber%20cloth ) into the surface of the ABS using Acetone, or MEK.
The fumes of both are a health hazard, so work in a well ventilated area!

Use as little Acetone as possible and work in small sections, as Acetone will dissolve the ABS when you overdo it.

Apply the Acetone with a small brush, so you have control over the amount you put on (I can't stress this enough).

The ABS will become sticky temporarily, so put on the glasscloth and tap it into the partially dissolved ABS, using the brush with some Acetone on it to further soften the ABS if required.

When the Acetone has evaporated completely and the ABS has become solid again, do the next section.
Don't be tempted to do the entire center section (or any other large part) at once, the solvent will reek havoc with your hull.

Once the entire hull, or at least the sponsons, center section and transom have been done this way, you can lightly sand the surface, degrease it with break cleaner and add further layers of glasscloth and epoxy to beef up the hull.

Be aware this is a tidious job and will take quite a lot of time.
The result will be a stiffer hull which is heavier than a new fiberglass one of the same size.

The outside will also need some work in the form of sharpening the trailing edges of the transom and steps to reduce drag.

Regards, Jan.

ok great what else can i use to Strengthen it and i use balsa wood also wood nail polish remover work
Old Jan 03, 2014, 05:28 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,792 Posts
Hi Billyboy,

There's no need to quote an entire post if your response to it is directly under it.
It makes the thread rather unreadable.

A lot of nailpolish remover contains Acetone, if that's the case, it should work on ABS.

But, you can't make balsa stick to ABS using Acetone, a contact type of glue would work better.
Beware of the solvent in the glue, it can also attack the ABS and distort the hull!

Regards, Jan.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 10:34 PM
Joined Nov 2013
9 Posts
ok so i think im going to do the acetone trick so i need 100% pure acetone right and do it in small amounts right
Old Jan 04, 2014, 06:08 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,792 Posts
Yep.
Old Jan 05, 2014, 05:36 PM
Joined Nov 2013
9 Posts
Jan,

can i just fiberglass the inside of the hull or do i have to do the outside too
Old Jan 06, 2014, 02:54 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,792 Posts
Hi Billyboy,

Glassing the outside is also an option, it would most definately be easier than the inside, but getting the surface smooth again and the traling edges sharp would be a lot(!) of work and makes the hull heavier than with just reinforcing the sponsons, tunnel and transoms.

If you're prepared to go that far, build a new cat from ply and cover that with fiberglass.

Regards, Jan.