HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2013, 05:06 AM
Italy, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
Discussion
New IOM Class Project (MX.14)

Hi All

First impressive test for the new IOM Project of MXComponents (MX.14 - Frank Russel Design) in Lagoon of Orbetello (Tuscany), against BritPops, and SailsEct design.

Ultra narrow hull with chines, CNC moulds & plugs.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1115460...1September2013

https://picasaweb.google.com/1115460...dSideVsBritPop

cheers, massimo
max67 is offline Find More Posts by max67
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
198 Posts
Hopefully, this isn't coming from the manufacturer of this boat. Makes me a little uncomfortable. It's one thing to say you have a product available or simply post a picture, but to suggest comparisons to other designs you are selling against doesn't seem right. And isn't MX Components the same company that is selling the "clone" rmg winch?

See below---guess this isn't coming from the manufacturer. Sorry. Generally have a thing about copies and using public web sites to promote products. And the boat did look a lot like a britpop, just like the MX Winch looks a lot like an RMG. Nevertheless, good to hear that this is coming from just a "fan".

BTW, max67 given your photo--"Who is number 1?" (lol)
Tom Corbett is online now Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Last edited by Tom Corbett; Sep 04, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2013, 09:40 AM
Italy, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
I do not understand ...
I am not a financial advisor or a representative.
I'm a fan
Old Sep 06, 2013, 07:16 AM
Joined Sep 2013
31 Posts
Hi Max67
I think it's a good idea to test a new design against some existing designs which are know to perform well. Clearly the pictures only tell part of the story but I'm sure you have done enough boat on boat testing to know the MX14 is competitive and the pictures are a true indicator.
Please keep us up to date with any developments
Thank you
Phil 42 is offline Find More Posts by Phil 42
Old Sep 06, 2013, 07:46 AM
Italy, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
Hi Phil

I agree with you. you understand the reason for the post, in fact the boat is still a test.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 11:28 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
I think this is the perfect place to post about new boats as well as to compare them to what is currently out there. Post away and share what ya got. Last I saw chimed boats have been around forever.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 06, 2013, 04:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Goth

I have just purchased a Goth from Frank Russel with a mx winch. Glad to see it performs well, Max 67 do you have the mx winch if so how does it go ?
darynxbcoupe is offline Find More Posts by darynxbcoupe
Old Sep 07, 2013, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
I think this is the perfect place to post about new boats as well as to compare them to what is currently out there. Post away and share what ya got. Last I saw chimed boats have been around forever.
Too True...
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 07, 2013, 10:41 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Jan 2011
46 Posts
I agree with Waboats, great info on IOM testing.
Keep the posts coming massimo. I Like to visit his blog regularly also.
Cheers Kiwi
fizzzy is offline Find More Posts by fizzzy
Old Sep 07, 2013, 02:09 PM
Italy, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darynxbcoupe View Post
I have just purchased a Goth from Frank Russel with a mx winch. Glad to see it performs well, Max 67 do you have the mx winch if so how does it go ?
I do not know, I use winch rmg for a long time
Old Sep 07, 2013, 02:12 PM
Italy, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzzy View Post
I agree with Waboats, great info on IOM testing.
Keep the posts coming massimo. I Like to visit his blog regularly also.
Cheers Kiwi
thanks to all the kiwis, even I follow your regattas.
In my memory Geoff Smale will never be erased from my heart
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:51 AM
Italy, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
Hi All,

for a public interest to you the feelings of Marco Di Giuseppe who tested the new boat MX.14

Hi Massimo,

as promised my feelings about the our first test of MX.14 in the Lagoon of Orbetello.

The first MX.14 that we tested has T9 high tensile pre bend mast from MX Components (this tubes are available in WWW from many dealers all round World) and NZL Power Sail. (Rig 1)

The boat is an ultra narrow hull with chines, and probably will anticipates what will happen in the coming years.

In the first testing the boat seems immediately a very good performance; we start from a standard setup, with a small curve on the mast, a space of 1cm for the mainsail boom and 6.5cm for the jib boom.

At the start we found a great confidence, each maneuver is possible, slipping to leeward and taking good speed right away.

In upwind, compared to the others, it has a good speed, and does not suffer absolutely the waves (high and narrow, feature of Orbetello), maintaining speed.

The feelings are that it's sweet and fast in tack, and taking up immediately the upwind sailing without losing speed.

In downwind I could see a great speed; when I had a disadvantage, I was able to get out the group, very close the other boats, with a good speed to starting in good position the downwind leg side, where the boat has a great performance.

The boat sail well in the hollow of the wave, in a couple of occasions I have increased the vantage using the waves.

Thinking about the many improvements that can be implemented, the chance of MX.14 is very interesting. Try for the first time a new project, test it with some boats (that are actual leaders), and be fast immediately, it's a very strange feeling; is the first time that I have in 20 years.

Speaking about appendices (Fin and Rudder), these are really hard on each sides (in fact earlier versions mounted in the Goths was too soft), and the new stretched ballast (carbon fiber covered) create a good advantage, like the other best IOM Class projects. The boat is very well finished, and cured in every component, and the internal bonding are very well.

Congratulation to MX Components for the very good work, and many thanks to Maurizio and MX Team for availability at our test ;-)

Marco Di Giuseppe
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:38 AM
Italy, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
the video of test is available on :

mx14 warm up - test of 01/09/2013 (2 min 7 sec)

cheers, massimo
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Sep 2005
43 Posts
MX14 Test.

Will the MX14 be entered into an international event soon..?

It is expected to be in production by next year..?

Please keep us informed as to it's progress and development.

Is this another Frank Russell design..?

Martin
dubflyer is offline Find More Posts by dubflyer
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:28 PM
Italy, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
hi martin
the right is the new design of frank russel. the boat sarč present at the next world championship in israel
when there will be some news we will let you know.

cheers, massimo