HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:31 PM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
300 Posts
Question
Kontronik power system

I have a Kontronik FUN480-33 motor and Smile 40-6-12 ESC. I used it several years ago with a 10cell NiMH battery pack. I'd like to use a 3S lipo battery instaed to save a bunch of weight. Will this work, or am I asking for trouble? The power system powers a 2 meter glider with R-E- Ailerons and throttle. The wing is built up, and the fuse is fiberglass.
LRFitch is online now Find More Posts by LRFitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:57 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,097 Posts
Is the ESC rated for lipo cells? If not, I would hesitate to use it as you will not have the correct low voltage sensing/cut-off which would allow you to over-discharge the lipos and possible ruin the pack.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jul 01, 2013, 10:16 AM
whitestone NY
Joined Mar 2002
191 Posts
I have the same setup. I have recently upgraded to Lipos ( 1320ma 11.1v 3s)

I measured the amp draw with the prop I am using. If I were able to drain the batt to zero I would get 3 min. full throttle. I use a safety margin of 50% that gives me seven 10 second full throttle Bursts. When I re charge the batt it only takes 800 ma

You can use your existing equipment "But" you have to monitor your consumption.

Just like the old days of fuel ( You never land with an empty tank) If you recharge your batt after every flight & as long as you only putting 50% of the batt capacity you should be fine.
gasbag is online now Find More Posts by gasbag
Old Jul 01, 2013, 10:15 PM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
300 Posts
Thanks`

Guys,
Thanks for the advice and information. I emailed Kontronik, and they sent me a manual for the Smile ESC so I can set it to LiPo battery. Gasbag, what prop are you using on your setup? I currently have a CAM 13X8 folder on it, but haven't run it with a watt meter hooked up.
LRFitch is online now Find More Posts by LRFitch
Old Jul 08, 2013, 03:32 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,690 Posts
The OP makes no mention of a gearbox. I have the same motor running on 3 cells. 12/6 PROP

I think the gearbox is around 4/1 or something like that. I figured if the controller is rated for 16 cells or something silly like that then Im fine so long as I dont run the cells down below 3.7 each. Its been fine for 2 dozen cycles now

I will have a look for my motor rating. I think it can handle 16 cells [1.4 volt]
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jul 08, 2013, 03:55 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,690 Posts
Sorry , my bad. 12 cells max sooo 16 volts. Still under the max voltage of a 3 cell lipo pack.

Anyways, just land long before running the cells down and never go below 3.7 per cell and you will be fine. You can even by a cheap low voltage alarm if you want to be sure your not damaging the pack
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard