Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2006
30 Posts
Discussion
Question about Redcat Volcano EPX for FPV truck

I have been borrowing a primitive old Nikko 2wd buggy from a buddy and have been using it with my gopro camera and a 5.8ghz video tx.

I've played around now, and I want to step up to a sub-$150 4wd truck that can go fast, but can handle wet grass also. I like the Redcat Volcano EPX (brushed motor). I know the brushless is better in every way, but I seriously need to stay below $150-shipped. I can upgrade later.

I have two questions - will the 2.4ghz tx/rx give similar range as the old 700mz or whatever it was?

Also, do most people just swap out the nicd 7.2v original battery and go with a 2s lipo?
dma251 is offline Find More Posts by dma251
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:18 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
mredzadventure's Avatar
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma251 View Post
I have been borrowing a primitive old Nikko 2wd buggy from a buddy and have been using it with my gopro camera and a 5.8ghz video tx.

I've played around now, and I want to step up to a sub-$150 4wd truck that can go fast, but can handle wet grass also. I like the Redcat Volcano EPX (brushed motor). I know the brushless is better in every way, but I seriously need to stay below $150-shipped. I can upgrade later.

I have two questions - will the 2.4ghz tx/rx give similar range as the old 700mz or whatever it was?

Also, do most people just swap out the nicd 7.2v original battery and go with a 2s lipo?
The 2.4 will give you better everything. I can vouch for the quality of the Redcat radio I have Futaba and Airtronics they work great.

Before you swap out the Nicador NiMH battries make sure the ESC has a voltage cut off circut and your battery charger can charge the Lipos

Grass of any kind is going to be tough on a motor watch your temps.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2006
30 Posts
Shoulda searched - there seems to be a lot of threads on this. Sorry.

Still curious why you guys even bother with the old Battery technology, though.
dma251 is offline Find More Posts by dma251
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:20 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma251 View Post

Still curious why you guys even bother with the old Battery technology, though.
You will find one answer in this other thread you started: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823096
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2014, 05:56 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
Volcano epx?

Interested in a Redcat Volcano epx? Check out this video!
Redcat Volcano epx Castle 5700kv 5000mAh 20c lipo (2 min 20 sec)
It will show you how it runs stock and how it runs after brushless/lipo upgrade! I've had this truck for a while now and it really is a pretty reliable truck! Had a couple week points but was easy 2 solve that! I bash mine pretty hard and haven't broke anything for at least 2 months now and I ride it daily!
RCMikey is offline Find More Posts by RCMikey
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:08 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
Sorry wrong video on last post! But if your looking to buy you should probably watch all vids on this channel. Also have videos of the epx pro.
Redcat Volcano epx From slow 2 Fast! Castle 5700kn brushless Motor and esc (2 min 52 sec)
RCMikey is offline Find More Posts by RCMikey
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 01:23 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2014
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMikey View Post
Sorry wrong video on last post! But if your looking to buy you should probably watch all vids on this channel. Also have videos of the epx pro. http://youtu.be/e5kzsNYy9V8
don't mean to but in but how much did all those upgrades cost? and how much from stock to upgraded. that is one powerful car. shame it broke in the previous video but that'll happen i guess
Dexternalman101 is offline Find More Posts by Dexternalman101
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold S30 Volcano truck SOLD stillflying4 Cars - Trucks and Parts (FS/W) 0 Jan 26, 2013 07:16 PM
For Sale Redcat Volcano EPX LPU Jrg678 Cars - Trucks and Parts (FS/W) 1 May 06, 2012 04:26 PM
Sold Brushless 2.4Ghz Redcat Tornado EPX Pro 1/10 4wd Buggy Bmr4life Cars - Trucks and Parts (FS/W) 7 Sep 07, 2011 05:34 AM
For Sale Volcano EPX Monster Truck 4WD RTR (Price Lowered to $85 shipped!) DrDHalko Cars - Trucks and Parts (FS/W) 7 Dec 12, 2009 05:04 PM
Sold 1/10 REDCAT Lightning EPX RC 4WD Roller + Spare Parts ecl Cars - Cars and Parts (FS/W) 1 Mar 13, 2009 04:20 PM