Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2006
30 Posts
Discussion
Question about Redcat Volcano EPX for FPV truck

I have been borrowing a primitive old Nikko 2wd buggy from a buddy and have been using it with my gopro camera and a 5.8ghz video tx.

I've played around now, and I want to step up to a sub-$150 4wd truck that can go fast, but can handle wet grass also. I like the Redcat Volcano EPX (brushed motor). I know the brushless is better in every way, but I seriously need to stay below $150-shipped. I can upgrade later.

I have two questions - will the 2.4ghz tx/rx give similar range as the old 700mz or whatever it was?

Also, do most people just swap out the nicd 7.2v original battery and go with a 2s lipo?
dma251 is offline Find More Posts by dma251
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:18 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma251 View Post
I have been borrowing a primitive old Nikko 2wd buggy from a buddy and have been using it with my gopro camera and a 5.8ghz video tx.

I've played around now, and I want to step up to a sub-$150 4wd truck that can go fast, but can handle wet grass also. I like the Redcat Volcano EPX (brushed motor). I know the brushless is better in every way, but I seriously need to stay below $150-shipped. I can upgrade later.

I have two questions - will the 2.4ghz tx/rx give similar range as the old 700mz or whatever it was?

Also, do most people just swap out the nicd 7.2v original battery and go with a 2s lipo?
The 2.4 will give you better everything. I can vouch for the quality of the Redcat radio I have Futaba and Airtronics they work great.

Before you swap out the Nicador NiMH battries make sure the ESC has a voltage cut off circut and your battery charger can charge the Lipos

Grass of any kind is going to be tough on a motor watch your temps.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Feb 2006
30 Posts
Shoulda searched - there seems to be a lot of threads on this. Sorry.

Still curious why you guys even bother with the old Battery technology, though.
dma251 is offline Find More Posts by dma251
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:20 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma251 View Post

Still curious why you guys even bother with the old Battery technology, though.
You will find one answer in this other thread you started: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823096
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2014, 05:56 PM
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
Volcano epx?

Interested in a Redcat Volcano epx? Check out this video!
Redcat Volcano epx Castle 5700kv 5000mAh 20c lipo (2 min 20 sec)
It will show you how it runs stock and how it runs after brushless/lipo upgrade! I've had this truck for a while now and it really is a pretty reliable truck! Had a couple week points but was easy 2 solve that! I bash mine pretty hard and haven't broke anything for at least 2 months now and I ride it daily!
RCMikey is offline Find More Posts by RCMikey
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:08 PM
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
Sorry wrong video on last post! But if your looking to buy you should probably watch all vids on this channel. Also have videos of the epx pro.
Redcat Volcano epx From slow 2 Fast! Castle 5700kn brushless Motor and esc (2 min 52 sec)
RCMikey is offline Find More Posts by RCMikey
Old Jan 30, 2014, 01:23 AM
Joined Jan 2014
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMikey View Post
Sorry wrong video on last post! But if your looking to buy you should probably watch all vids on this channel. Also have videos of the epx pro. http://youtu.be/e5kzsNYy9V8
don't mean to but in but how much did all those upgrades cost? and how much from stock to upgraded. that is one powerful car. shame it broke in the previous video but that'll happen i guess
Dexternalman101 is offline Find More Posts by Dexternalman101