HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:38 AM
Cohen the Barbarian
Australia, NSW, Leeton
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
More happenings...

Thanks guys - the whole process has been rewarding.

LDM - bummer about the workshop , hope all is resolved satisfactorily.

RR - I have always enjoyed building models, used to scratch build boats, came to aircraft more recently. BTW are you the same RR that was looking for a set of plans for this kit on (ahem) another website about a year ago?

Just got back from a family visit where "Snoopers" share the sky with a Hangar 9 BF109. 'Stang flew well and returned successfully, sadly this was not a universal experience. Looking at the pictures you will see that there are no cannon fitted at this time, so (despite rumours) the Messerschmitt was not shot down in air to air combat. Also, unfortunately there was no one working a camera to capture the 2 birds in the air together.
GenghizCohen is online now Find More Posts by GenghizCohen
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:24 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,777 Posts
Hi Gen , sorry about the crash , is she a possible rebuild ?
Thanks for the note on the shop , the shop is now restored better then new waiting for a good build to really mess it up lol
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:56 AM
Cohen the Barbarian
Australia, NSW, Leeton
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
Hi LDM - good to hear about the workshop, look forward to seeing what you do there.

BF109 was (is?) my brothers - one wing may be reparable, the rest is pretty much toast. electronics seem to be OK except for the battery (banana shaped) and the shaft of the motor (ditto). Sadness. . Replacement has been ordered, may be fitted with RDS actuators, including rudder.

FWIW "Warbirds over Wagga" is on again next week - an event for WW2 aircraft held in a nearby city. May take the Mustang (probably as a static display, not enough air time to put on a show yet), especially if the oleos turn up in time.

For those who are interested, the retract mounting blocks are holding up well, the retract units are unfazed by the load, but the struts supplied with them are seriously not up to the load. Will try making music wire legs in 4mm (direct replacement), 5.56mm (definitely should hold up) as well as using the scale (ish) oleos when they turn up.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 04:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
RR - I have always enjoyed building models, used to scratch build boats, came to aircraft more recently. BTW are you the same RR that was looking for a set of plans for this kit on (ahem) another website about a year ago?

Indeed so GC, well spotted!

The gentleman in question was kind enough to send them via email, although it seems my last reply has killed the thread, unfortunately.

Your work has assisted me enormously and I thank you for that.

I too started with boats. I felt they didn't crash as bad as planes, however, I have grown bolder and now realise...."you don't crash....only if you don't fly...!

Again , congrats. I realise how much extra time it takes to document a project as well as build.

Cheers

Rob
Radials Rool is offline Find More Posts by Radials Rool
Old Apr 28, 2014, 06:28 AM
Cohen the Barbarian
Australia, NSW, Leeton
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
Some projects are never "finished"

Received the oleos just before the weekend, look nice, especially the scale style.

I found it necessary to file a little away to clear the (e-flite) retract units, as well as having to bore the trunnions out to take a 5mm mounting pin.

A further change was to drill the centre out of the hub covers to clear the axle. The hubs will be painted black and he covers silver to enhance scale appearance. Unfortunately the geometry is such that the wheels cannot be outside of the struts as per scale. Gear doors will be sorted once the system is tested.

Meanwhile the build table has been occupied - by a Carl Goldberg Extra 300 kit I was given.

RR - knowing that even one person has been helped by this log makes the effort worthwhile. If anyone is inspired to give it a go then that is even better.
Old May 18, 2014, 06:13 AM
Cohen the Barbarian
Australia, NSW, Leeton
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
This could be the start of something... Big

Picked up off e-bay - - Top Flite giant P-51B kit - 84.5" wingspan.
electric - possibly,
conversion to P-51A - probably not.

Here I go again...
Old Jun 09, 2014, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1 Posts
I just purchased the .60 sized Top Flite Thunderbolt. I am building it as electric. I appreciate this thread to give confidence in making a decent chance at making it work well. What size/ type of wood did you use to make the battery box? I see some plywood, but can't tell about the sides. Thanks!
bluepilot2003 is offline Find More Posts by bluepilot2003
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:06 AM
Cohen the Barbarian
Australia, NSW, Leeton
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
Very big - the red box is the erstwhile home of the current project, the other - is bigger - the bird will be about 40% bigger in all dimensions.

BluePilot2003 - glad inspiration has struck, I hope it gives you the same level of joy I got from this Mustang . I used 1/4" balsa for the battery box, with fillets to maximise the join area to the firewall, and fitted snugly into the fuselage structure. It has a greater cross sectional than the factory design carrying thrust to the wings due to double the double thickness.