HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2014, 03:18 PM
Living The Dream in Bris Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
392 Posts
Ended up just cutting some scrap blocks up and using them, guess I'll find the right bits at the end.. they'll be the unused ones..
ohaussie is offline Find More Posts by ohaussie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2014, 03:21 AM
Joined Oct 2010
392 Posts
Just Thought I would upload some pics of my build so far. Elevators, Rudder, Vertical & Horizontal Tail are done, only one float done thanks to our cat and dog..(companion animals - my foot)...but Zeke is cutting up some replacement parts, thanks again Zeke..

Brett
Last edited by ohaussie; May 18, 2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old May 18, 2014, 06:06 PM
Top of the World
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2009
104 Posts
Zeke and Thayer, I should have the wing floats mod finished tomorrow. I changed the float base to 1/8 ply and installed triangle stock for support. This really stiffened the float. Tomorrow I will install the side braces which will finish the mod and should end all worries about side loading. Will send pics when finished. The video didn't come well due to the windy conditions. I got seasick watching it. Also the camera needed to be adjusted higher in the cockpit. Had a great time at JoeNall. It was great meeting you Zeke and seeing the 314. You guys are a class act. Special thanks to Thayer for flying my Albatross in that wind. Even in the wind Thayer pleased the spectators with his skills. Like last year the Albatross was a big hit. All you guys currently building one are in for a treat. Maybe next year we'll see many Albatross and 314s at the Nall.
Charlie
Charliespup is offline Find More Posts by Charliespup
Old May 18, 2014, 10:19 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,373 Posts
Charlie,

Thanks so much for the fun this year. It was great to meet you and see your model, not to mention fly it. As you might expect, Saturday morning was perfect. Zeke and I spent a couple hours at the pond before packing up to leave and talked a lot of things that float and fly on the way home. I pulled in at 4:45 am today. Yikes!

Sorry to hear about the video but I am not really surprised. It was pretty bumpy most of the time we were flying.

Glad to hear the strut mod is coming along well. I think that is a great solution for your model and look forward to seeing it.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old May 19, 2014, 01:27 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Yet another iteration of retractable landing gear that should translate easily to the Albi or Widgeon. Posts #383 and #388:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...575675&page=26
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old May 19, 2014, 03:34 PM
Top of the World
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2009
104 Posts
Wing float mod

Mod complete. The floats are very rigid now and should manage heavy side loads.
Notice the 1/8 plywood base with the triangle support. This part of the mod really stiffened the float and might be enough handle normal loads. Adding the brace is added insurance. I'll send pics with the aircraft all together. It's now finished with covering and paint. Thayer, I just knew Saturday morning would be perfect. I tried to talk my ride into leaving a little later but no luck. We had a great time. Again, thank you and Zeke for all your help. Till next time, safe landings. Charlie
Old May 19, 2014, 07:24 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,373 Posts
I joked with Zeke that we should have borrowed your model and dropped it off on the way home. Then again, Ocala isn't exactly on the way North. That mod looks very solid and believable. Hope it works out for you.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:34 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
Yet another iteration of retractable landing gear that should translate easily to the Albi or Widgeon. Posts #383 and #388:

The big 'problem' with the albatross landing gear is the long strut from the wing down to the wheel and how it articulates and folds up into the wing and fuselage side.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old May 20, 2014, 02:29 PM
Top of the World
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post

GP Sales,( rcairplane.net ) Has the Widgeon, Albatross, and PBY with retracts. I believe they have a video of the operation. I was thinking of installing their retracts in my Albatross but weight was an issue. Charlie
Old May 20, 2014, 03:53 PM
Joined Oct 2010
392 Posts
Zeke,
How are those replacement parts for me comming along?
Brett
Old May 23, 2014, 03:31 PM
Top of the World
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer View Post
I joked with Zeke that we should have borrowed your model and dropped it off on the way home. Then again, Ocala isn't exactly on the way North. That mod looks very solid and believable. Hope it works out for you.
You guys can borrow my Albatross anytime you want. Come down and enjoy the hot sunny south. Wingtip mod is now complete with the finished braces. These braces have brass inserts with JB Weld for a better look. Test flew the Albatross today off land with the floats installed and all went very well. There's about 4 inches clearance between the bottom of the float and the ground. Just keep the wings level!!!!! We had quite a breeze and the landings were amazingly slow. It's unreal how slow the Albatross can fly with a little headwind. I rechecked the weight again ready to fly and came in at 10 and 1/2 lbs. Quite a bird this Albatross. Zeke has a real winner, you guys are a great team. Charlie
Old May 25, 2014, 04:37 AM
Joined Feb 2009
264 Posts
Theres another albetross in Globe, AZ that's slowly rotting away, it's in a little better shape than this one in CA. What a shame, Id love to restore it, and fly to Alaska and go fishing, while living in the plane. But, I'm a lowly poor guy.
canyon is offline Find More Posts by canyon
Old May 26, 2014, 12:28 AM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,373 Posts
Looks great Charlie, and as we suspected, those braces look great.

Thayer
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:43 PM
Joined Oct 2010
392 Posts
Just a question:
Putting the keel etc on and can't seem to find the template described in the build guide..