HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:01 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Nice mate, i like having more power than needed so you have to use throttle control like real bikes, i ordered my pinions today from tower hope they don't take too long but i have plenty to do it is in bits at the moment.

Here is the footage from yesterday of me & my mate unfortunately no close ups as i was using hat cam but it was great fun just chasing each other around, we mainly just ran on the grass as my tyre is bald & was very slippery on the dirt they are the tyres i made they work good but the tread dose not last long the mm has great traction on the dirt though looking forward to getting mine going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMzufjP8VEI
Cool TJ, a few close calls in there lol. All good though no carnage. My son and I had a head on that smashed a front wheel lol. I know about bald tyres, this is what mine looks like now lol. Even a tear or two in the sidewall.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newat...anageattach&p=
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:18 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Cool TJ, a few close calls in there lol. All good though no carnage. My son and I had a head on that smashed a front wheel lol. I know about bald tyres, this is what mine looks like now lol. Even a tear or two in the sidewall.
Yeah mate it was fun.
That tyre is trashedwhat is the tyre wear like on those tyres mate did it take a lot of laps to end up like that?
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:35 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Yeah mate it was fun.
That tyre is trashedwhat is the tyre wear like on those tyres mate did it take a lot of laps to end up like that?
With the big motor the tyre wear is increased, depending on what you run on dirt or grass will determine how long the tyre lasts. I thrash mine daily on dirt for at least a few runs and might get a week to two before the tyre looks like this. If only used on weekends you'll get a few months at least. It does pay to have a spare tyre and inserts though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,226 Posts
Esc

Do we really need an 80 amp ESC on these bikes? Or would a high quality Tekin RS PRO handle the current draw.
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:30 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,736 Posts
In general if that Tekin is rated with higher amps then its just added protection I guess, but if it is lower than the stock 80a esc then be careful what the motor is rated for as the motor will pull as many amps as it can with the power given and if esc cant hang...pop. At least thats what Ive been reading about esc/motor/battery.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
In general if that Tekin is rated with higher amps then its just added protection I guess, but if it is lower than the stock 80a esc then be careful what the motor is rated for as the motor will pull as many amps as it can with the power given and if esc cant hang...pop. At least thats what Ive been reading about esc/motor/battery.
The 550 motors in the bikes are not as big as the full 1/8 scale Buggie and Truggie motors that require the 150 amp ESCs. That's what has me confused. The smaller 1/10 scale ESCs genrally don't specify maximum amp draw, they use the maximum wind of the motors to guide you in which ESC to buy. The 1/10th scale Short Course trucks fall into about the same catagory as these Venom/Atomik bikes which fall about half way between the 1/10 scale offroad vehicles and the 1/8th scale racers. All the guys I know that race the SC trucks run the full blown 1/8 scale ESCs just for reliability. But they run monster motors with 4 wheel drive vehicles, which have to draw many more amps than we do with the motorcycles.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:35 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
The 550 motors in the bikes are not as big as the full 1/8 scale Buggie and Truggie motors that require the 150 amp ESCs. That's what has me confused. The smaller 1/10 scale ESCs genrally don't specify maximum amp draw, they use the maximum wind of the motors to guide you in which ESC to buy. The 1/10th scale Short Course trucks fall into about the same catagory as these Venom/Atomik bikes which fall about half way between the 1/10 scale offroad vehicles and the 1/8th scale racers. All the guys I know that race the SC trucks run the full blown 1/8 scale ESCs just for reliability. But they run monster motors with 4 wheel drive vehicles, which have to draw many more amps than we do with the motorcycles.
Hi Dave don't know much about electrics, the Tenshock 5200kv motor said to use a speedo of over 100amps. With the std speedo it does stutter on high traction surfaces like bitumen when nailed however when it can spin the wheels it's ok. I have ordered a turnigy 120 amp short course speedo so I'll let yo know how that goes. Looked at a 1/8 speedo but they are very big.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:01 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,525 Posts
Just pulled the bike down to do some well overdue maintenance and noticed a lot of back and forth movement of the front sprocket without it moving the shaft. This is what I found with the sprocket. Because it's only pinned and not tightened on the shaft like the VMX, over time it slops back and forth and ends up flogged out before its worn out. Can't say I like the pinned style. I use the VMX sprockets in my other bike and drill and tap to M4 and never have an issue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:58 AM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Just pulled the bike down to do some well overdue maintenance and noticed a lot of back and forth movement of the front sprocket without it moving the shaft. This is what I found with the sprocket. Because it's only pinned and not tightened on the shaft like the VMX, over time it slops back and forth and ends up flogged out before its worn out. Can't say I like the pinned style. I use the VMX sprockets in my other bike and drill and tap to M4 and never have an issue.
Wow lol, Who puts more miles on an RC bike than you!! I'll bet the experimental developement bikes did not get as thrashed and pummeled on for more hours than you put them thru!! When I worked for the General Motors Developement Group, we would build and test new vehicles at our proving grounds and when we thought they were ready for maufacture, we would use some of the drive train components on Taxi Cab fleets for some "real world testing". Just like you, they would find the weakest links in the systems that the engineers could not duplicate at the proving grounds! lol.

Yeah, my VMX ESC is getting a mind of it's own about half way thru a battery pack, it fails to accellerate at the apex of the corners (always has had that trait intermittantly) and now the throttle sticks wide open for a short time (which is real bad for the bike in my basement, and the brake locks up hard on de-cell intermitantly too. I think I'll order a SCT 125 amp speedo too, before I destroy the bike.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:08 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Wow lol, Who puts more miles on an RC bike than you!! I'll bet the experimental developement bikes did not get as thrashed and pummeled on for more hours than you put them thru!! When I worked for the General Motors Developement Group, we would build and test new vehicles at our proving grounds and when we thought they were ready for maufacture, we would use some of the drive train components on Taxi Cab fleets for some "real world testing". Just like you, they would find the weakest links in the systems that the engineers could not duplicate at the proving grounds! lol.

Yeah, my VMX ESC is getting a mind of it's own about half way thru a battery pack, it fails to accellerate at the apex of the corners (always has had that trait intermittantly) and now the throttle sticks wide open for a short time (which is real bad for the bike in my basement, and the brake locks up hard on de-cell intermitantly too. I think I'll order a SCT 125 amp speedo too, before I destroy the bike.
Lol, yea Dave my bikes get some miles on them in pretty harsh conditions.
For some reason the VMX speedos seemed to have these occasional problems, ( I've had a few that the brakes fail one very rarely, another maybe 4 or 5 times a run. Needless to say on my track that's not a good thing lol ) the one in the bike I took video of the other day is packing it in. It shuts down after a few laps and then goes again when switched off and on. You can see that on the vid, I had just started to run and it shut down. Also can be accelerating hard and it locks the rear wheel for a second completely. I haven't had these sort of problems with the MM so far cross fingers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,525 Posts
Just found this vid on you tube, wouldn't it be cool to do these sorts of tricks lol.
dirty toys (3 min 16 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:36 PM
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Just found this vid on you tube, wouldn't it be cool to do these sorts of tricks lol.
http://youtu.be/3IDyNesztHQ
Mine does all those tricks........Problem is I'm not trying to do them when they happen !!

Speaking of videos, what movie maker are you using for the SloMo stuff Chris?
The reason I'm asking is that I have an Everio brand camera and I can't transfer the files to any other movie maker to do slo mo or other effects. Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:18 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Mine does all those tricks........Problem is I'm not trying to do them when they happen !!

Speaking of videos, what movie maker are you using for the SloMo stuff Chris?
The reason I'm asking is that I have an Everio brand camera and I can't transfer the files to any other movie maker to do slo mo or other effects. Thanks
Ha ha Dave .
I only have an I pad which I use with the movie app called splice. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with the vids I load out of my hat camera so I can't edit those ones. You gotta love technology Dave . I'd love a good set up, maybe one day. This does the job for now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:47 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,720 Posts
Quote:
http://youtu.be/3IDyNesztHQ
That is awesome, very clever how they do that
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,525 Posts
Quote:
That is awesome, very clever how they do that
Very clever.