HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:36 PM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
542 Posts
Discussion
Goldberg Pitts Monster EP

Well, in the Summer of 2010, my Wife and I were at an IMAC contest, and to make the story short, she won this ARF in the big raffle. I finally built it, but have yet to maiden it.

Using an EFlite 15, a CC Thundebird 54 and 2450 3S battery. With the battery all the way up as far as it would fit, it balances just right. I'm told it should balance at the leading edge of the lower wing, which it does being even tiny bit nose heavy. I think for the maiden it will do fine.

It weighs 2.8 pounds with battery Velcroed into place. I ran a wattmeter test, but I honestly forgot what I read. Using a 11x5.5 APC I think it was around 300+ something watts. I felt good about the thrust anyway. I can adjust prop size if need be.

-Craig
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, GA, Douglasville
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
I have tried to fly this airplane twice. The first time the plane was so far out of trim that i pulled the power off right after takeoff and landed a little hard in some tall weeds. The landing gear broke right off because of the very light plywood that was used for the gear support. I was shocked to see if broken because it was now that bad of a landing. I would suggest to you to beef up the landing gear area because if you bounce it even just once you will be doing it anyway. Just a friendly suggestion. The second time I just lost power but the gear held up great.
JackA is offline Find More Posts by JackA
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:07 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,341 Posts
Agree on the landing gear, too flimsy. I have converted my first one of these to glow with a LA46. Now it goes!! I put 40 size landing gear, metal gear servos in the back and other mods. I posted a video, but not here. I can link if anyone interested.

I have a second one NIB, and would like to use EP next time. It's very tricky to get the correct CG, I think the leading edge of the lower wing is too far back, but mine varies because of a 10oz fuel tank. The wheels are also a bit too far back, Maybe that's scale, but it can flip on the nose on landing. Try to bend them forward if possible.

Well, here it is while I think of it. Good luck for the maiden!

Goldberg Pitts with 46LA (1 min 43 sec)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Mar 31, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:38 PM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
542 Posts
"At the leading edge of the lower wing" is something I read in an old thread either here or over at RCU. That is an entire inch forward of the suggested CG in the manual. You're saying that is still too far back?

I need to go find that thread again. I thought if anything I'd be nose heavy there, but you're saying tail heavy and therefore very hard to control on the maiden.

I'll need to think about it and do some more google searches.

Thanks!

-Craig
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:06 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,341 Posts
As far as my experience goes, the manual is wrong. My first setup was per manual, the plane jumped off the ground and stalled.

Now I'm close to the le of the lower wing before fuel. Sorry I can't check, I have the wings off, replaced the wing servos with mg digital. Other projects have put back assembly, but I'll get to it soon.

The experts at our field strongly recommend a bit nose heavy for bipes for maiden.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 10:09 AM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
542 Posts
I don't care about the age of this thread, I started it!

Well, I finally got around to a maiden on this thing on Easter morning. Almost a full year after finishing it. I hung it from the shop ceiling last year and then never got it back down until now.

I was alone and out real early, so no video but it flew just great. I was surprised at how straight it was running down the runway, and at about 5/8 throttle the tail was up so I gave it some elevator and away it went. I had the rates down and some expo programmed in as I expected it to be a bit twitchy, but it was not. As expected, you do have to fly it full time, as it has no self correction tendencies at all. All the usual cliches apply. Flies like on rails, goes where you point it.

Ran two batteries through it then went back home for family Easter gathering, but I had 3 landings in those two flights, and the gear is still nice and intact. I could have used a bit more elevator to help flair but that will happen as I plan to slowly increase the rates and decrease the expo some too until it hits my aerobatic sweet spot.

Balance was at the leading edge of the lower wing, and that felt about right. I may slightly increment that back some too.

Overall I was pleased and I will have it back out at the club field on Tuesday night as it flies so easy and looks so cool I want to get it back out there!

-Craig
Old Apr 04, 2013, 05:13 PM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
542 Posts
Ran 3 more batteries through it Tuesday night. Flies very nice. Time to liven up the controls and help me with my very basic aerobatic capabilities.

2nd landing had a bounce or two. Gear nice and tight still.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 08:36 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,341 Posts
Mine is in storage for a while, and I have a new one in a box waiting. I'll go back to electric with #2, glad to see yours went well.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
542 Posts
Carl Goldberg Pitts Monster (2 min 33 sec)