Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, NY, West Babylon
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
Discussion
Devo 7 ..Difference between Gyro on Manual or Auto?

Hey All,
I am wondering what the difference may be ( if any) with this......My Genius CP manual config settings say to put Gyro on manual, but I've followed the suggested set up in here (forum) and put the setting on auto. I fly in 3 axis mode, and honestly have not noticed a difference. So is there a difference? I only flew about 2 or three flights before changing the setting though.
Just wondering
Thanks all
Mike
cammauto is offline Find More Posts by cammauto
Last edited by cammauto; Feb 26, 2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
..OK now that i read my own post .... maybe it disregards the trim pot setting on the Rx?? Haven't messed with that yet so I don't know?
Aahh call me crazy!! Someone must know!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Dec 2007
1,027 Posts
When on manual mode you can set gyro to a switch and give value for each position on the switch. On auto, you set a gyro value to normal and idle up positions.
fretman is offline Find More Posts by fretman
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
i leave mine on Auto.

does the Devo 7 have a "hovering" option in pitch curve? on my Devo 8 it has that and cant figure out what it does.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
Not sure, I'll have to look. I don't recall seeing that parameter though. I'll post the result as soon as I look.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
i leave mine on Auto.

does the Devo 7 have a "hovering" option in pitch curve? on my Devo 8 it has that and cant figure out what it does.
I looked at the parameters today, in PTCRV it offers the 3 flight modes Norm,ST1 and ST2 and it also offers throttle hold. Perhaps they're calling it hovering on the Devo 8?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman View Post
When on manual mode you can set gyro to a switch and give value for each position on the switch. On auto, you set a gyro value to normal and idle up positions.
I see thank you, I'm assuming one would use this feature (manual) for 3d flying only or is it just personal preference?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,529 Posts
I don't have this particular TX, but many TXs have a "hover" pitch and or throttle switch on them. This is used for gas helis where changes in barometric pressure or temp during the day can cause the engine to run more lean or more rich with resultant power output changes from the motor. It's a quick way to shift the entire pitch or throttle curve up or down a few points to fine tune how the heli hovers as the fuel mixture changes rather than having to go in and re do the curve each time.

It's not a needed function on electric helis and will actually screw you up if you mess around with them. You can end up with situations where one curve doesn't quite match another using identical values or you can't get 0 throttle even at the lowest point on your throttle curve.

This is assuming of course that I'm right about what this hover function on your TX does
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Feb 27, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Dec 2007
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammauto View Post
I see thank you, I'm assuming one would use this feature (manual) for 3d flying only or is it just personal preference?
Personal preference. I use manual and don't really use the switch. I have the gyro set where the tail holds well through all the maneuvers that I do and leave it. I think this manual/auto feature was more useful before headlock gyros were the norm on these helis.

Devo 7 doesn't have a hover feature as far as I can tell.
fretman is offline Find More Posts by fretman
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
I don't have this particular TX, but many TXs have a "hovering" pitch and or throttle switch on them. This is used for gas helis where changes in barometric pressure or temp during the day can cause the engine to run more lean or more rich with a resultant power output changes from the motor. It's a quick way to shift the entire pitch or throttle curve up or down a few points to fine tune how the heli hovers as the fuel mixture changes rather than having to go in and re do the curve each time.

It's not a needed function on electric helis and will actually screw you up if you mess around with them. You can end up with situations where one curve doesn't quite match another using identical values or you can't get 0 throttle even at the lowest point on your throttle curve.

This is assuming of course that I'm right about what this hover function on your TX does
You are half right it activates the hover trims (hover P & hover T) - on all points except top and bottom you have the option of switching hovering on or off on each point for both the throttle and pitch curves (Devo 8 and 12 only)

When activated the points of the curve can be trimmed upwards or down wards with the hover trim switches - I have found it a useful tool for fine tuning my curves - the screen on the Devo 12 has a trim count for the hover pitch and throttle trims you have used just as it does for ordinary trim so there is no way to loose track of the trim you have used

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
You are half right it activates the hover trims (hover P & hover T) - on all points except top and bottom you have the option of switching hovering on or off on each point for both the throttle and pitch curves (Devo 8 and 12 only)

When activated the points of the curve can be trimmed upwards or down wards with the hover trim switches - I have found it a useful tool for fine tuning my curves - the screen on the Devo 12 has a trim count for the hover pitch and throttle trims you have used just as it does for ordinary trim so there is no way to loose track of the trim you have used

Regards David
Thanks David! It sounds similar to a function my Thunder Tiger Innovator software had. You could shift the middle of the pitch or throttle curves up and down but points1 and 5 would stay fixed. It sounds like this one won't get you into trouble like some TX hover T and P functions can, which is nice.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Thanks David! It sounds similar to a function my Thunder Tiger Innovator software had. You could shift the middle of the pitch or throttle curves up and down but points1 and 5 would stay fixed. It sounds like this one won't get you into trouble like some TX hover T and P functions can, which is nice.
Yes the 2801 has functions similar to the Innovator - the function on the devo 8 and 12 is far more refined - if you don't want to use the function then just leave hovering inactive for all points - it will only effect points or point where hovering is active

As you say the function was invented primarily for nitro models - but this is a superb tool for tweaking curves for electric as well

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:51 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
I'm a newbie GCP plus Devo7.
I have my gyro set to manual, switch to mix, Pos 0 70% Pos 1 80% Pos 2 60%. They were origninally all at 70%. Does it make sense set them this way so that the gyro can be tweaked in the wind? I just thought I'd try to experiment but I don't want to mess things up. Is the Mix used for something else by default? When I bought the setup, the Hold button was set to inhibit and I couldn't even stop the rotors in ST mode. Seems like none of the switches are programmed except FMD.

Any tips appreciated.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
leave it on automatic.. there is really no point in having it manual unless you're 3D flying and want different gyro gains.

mixed switch can be used for anything. i use it as idle up.. basically position 0 is normal (linear throttle curve) when i take off and position 1 and 2 are basically the same.. 100% flat throttle for normal sport flying and 3D.. or you can set position 1 as flat 80-90% throttle and position 2 as full 100% throttle (for 3D).

as for gyro gain percent., anywhere from 75-90% is fine and it's what most of us use.. what exact value you use is up to you. if your tail starts twitching around you could try lowering this number, otherwise keep it higher (80%~) for normal flying. some people lower the gain when doing 3D (so they can be in more control rather than the gyro doing the work).

set your throttle hold to pitch to 0% and use it to kill throttle to heli in a event you THINK you're going to crash.. in other words don't wait until you crash to use the switch, it is used to minimize damage on a crash that is imminent.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:52 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Ok thanks for that good info. Can the gcp do 3d in 6axis mode with stunt/idle up? I've done some flips on the sim but don't want to accidently do one while practicing fff.

Speaking of fff I did a few batteries today which was fun as I didn't crash at all. I just swapped the frame btw. So after the session I found one skid cracked. Real bummer as I didn't really have any hard landings. I'm just bummed as the skids are integrated. I think this would be enough for me not to buy another gcp. I'd go with a mcp given the first choice but I don't know how hard it is to fly. My next helicopter wil be a v200d03 or v400 to carry a cam.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Last edited by LarsDennert; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:05 PM.