Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I got me a beast :D

My nephew gave me his micro Beast, he crashed it, re-glued it, he said it doesn't fly right and he didn't like it, now it's all beat up, so asked me if I would trade him a GWS pico cub kit for it, I said "sure" I didn't have to think twice about that offer

I got a Corsair from him the same way, I rebuilt it, got it flying like it was on rails, then the dog ate it, we discussed her airplane abuse problem, the dog promised me she wouldn't do it again, now I'm getting ready to rebuild the Corsair for the second time and it should fly just as good as it did before he dog ate it.

now that I got this old beat up beast, I'll order all the parts to do a complete rebuild and it should soon be flying as well as my T-28 does now
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:43 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
My nephew gave me his micro Beast, he crashed it, re-glued it, he said it doesn't fly right and he didn't like it, now it's all beat up, so asked me if I would trade him a GWS pico cub kit for it, I said "sure" I didn't have to think twice about that offer

I got a Corsair from him the same way, I rebuilt it, got it flying like it was on rails, then the dog ate it, we discussed her airplane abuse problem, the dog promised me she wouldn't do it again, now I'm getting ready to rebuild the Corsair for the second time and it should fly just as good as it did before he dog ate it.

now that I got this old beat up beast, I'll order all the parts to do a complete rebuild and it should soon be flying as well as my T-28 does now
That doesn't look that beat up. One wing looks pretty creased but as long as the lower wing isn't that bad it should fly just fine. Just put a small piece of CF over or the creased part. My beast has seen better days including one wing crease like the one pictured but still flies like it's on rails.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2004
255 Posts
Also looks in pretty good condition compared to mine too. Mine still flys fine and has several tiny CF rods in certain places and plenty of glue. Mostly lower wing damage repairs.
matt28 is offline Find More Posts by matt28
Last edited by matt28; Jul 16, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:27 PM
scb28
Rocklin, CA
Joined Jan 2006
423 Posts
matt28, are the servo covers homemade or can they be bought?

Thx, scb28
scb28 is offline Find More Posts by scb28
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:43 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scb28 View Post
matt28, are the servo covers homemade or can they be bought?

Thx, scb28
those servo covers are off of the UMX Stryker, you can buy them 4 at a time for little to nothing.

I just bout a set for my Corsair, and will have a couple of extra covers left over I can use on the beast.

I guess my beast isn't all that ugly, or maybe I'm just to much of a perfectionist, I like my planes to be cosmetically perfect sometimes to a fault.

I don't think the beast is really my kind of plane, I'm more into the slow flying scale stuff out of the 1930, and 40's but maybe it will surprise me, or I can always trade it for something else
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
Quote:

I've really enjoyed reading about your relationship to your dog. Also, I've been wondering about the least windiest places in the US for Micro flying and Medford OR is one of the three. Hope you are somewhere close to that. I'm about 90 miles away, but it's plenty windy here.
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:06 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,554 Posts
Quote:
those servo covers are off of the UMX Stryker, you can buy them 4 at a time for little to nothing.

I just bout a set for my Corsair, and will have a couple of extra covers left over I can use on the beast.

I guess my beast isn't all that ugly, or maybe I'm just to much of a perfectionist, I like my planes to be cosmetically perfect sometimes to a fault.

I don't think the beast is really my kind of plane, I'm more into the slow flying scale stuff out of the 1930, and 40's but maybe it will surprise me, or I can always trade it for something else
Stuart,

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.
The Beast can be flown mild or wild.
She has an amazing flight envelope!
Lots of drag for an ultra-micro.
No dead stick landings.
Keep that prop spinning all the way in.
She slows down beautifully for spot landings.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
scb28
Rocklin, CA
Joined Jan 2006
423 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the info, I'll go find some. scb28
scb28 is offline Find More Posts by scb28
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:32 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I've really enjoyed reading about your relationship to your dog. Also, I've been wondering about the least windiest places in the US for Micro flying and Medford OR is one of the three. Hope you are somewhere close to that. I'm about 90 miles away, but it's plenty windy here.

oh the dog, yup, that dog is something else, when I met my girlfriend, she told me the dog was part of the package, love me, love my dog, my response was that i was looking for a dog but this dog came with the girl, and the girl is just one of the fringe benefits of having the dog, it's really not such a bad deal, the girlfriend isn't bothered by the planes, is a great cook, puts up with my quirks, and thinks the plane eating dog is funny, and the dog would rather follow me then her, but my girlfriend says I'm ok for a boyfriend, I'm better then nothin.

I have to admit, I do my fare share of tormenting the dog with the planes, she has chased them all over the fields trying to catch them, and I'll fly them just out of her reach, but my calculations aren't always that accurate, some times she catches them.

I live out in Carver Oregon, kind of behind a little hill, so we get a lot of dead calm days and with a runway in my front yard and 7 acres to fly over, it's a modelers paradise.

a friend just offered me a 60 acre field to fly in that is nothing but flat pasture land with enough flying space to rival any of our local club fields, it's at least 10 times bigger then the field of the club that I belong to, I'll size it up and down, figure out where I can put in a runway and then I'll have my own private little playground
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Jul 16, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:32 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
I have to admit, I do my fare share of tormenting the dog with the planes, she has chased them all over the fields trying to catch them, and I'll fly them just out of her reach, but my calculations aren't always that accurate, some times she catches them.

a friend just offered me a 60 acre field to fly in that is nothing but flat pasture land with enough flying space to rival any of our local club fields, it's at least 10 times bigger then the field of the club that I belong to, I'll size it up and down, figure out where I can put in a runway and then I'll have my own private little playground
60 acres??? Can I be your friend?

As far as dog chasing airplanes, I think it's time to show this old video again...

Beast vs Beast!
UMX Beast VS the beast! (3 min 59 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Beast vs Beast!
One of my all-time faves. Thanks!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:31 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
60 acres??? Can I be your friend?

As far as dog chasing airplanes, I think it's time to show this old video again...

Beast vs Beast!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y53pEYSW68Y

yup, that's exactly what my dog looks like, but she can almost outrun the plane
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:14 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,757 Posts
Well I swapped out the wing last night. What a PITA! So many little parts, gotta be a neuro-surgeon to get it all together!

Anyways, it's all replaced, and I must say I think I did a damn good job. Looks real good, straight, tight.. I think if I break the wing again, I'll be done with this airframe and put the electronics in something else. Maybe AS3X Sbach? I dunno.. Something other than the Beast.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
... put the electronics in something else. Maybe AS3X Sbach? I dunno.. Something other than the Beast.
Yup, yup, yup! The AS3X Sbach is awesome. Not only that, but you can try 3S in the Sbach without Fear of Frying. No one has fried a Beast 3D board with 3S yet.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:19 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
One of my all-time faves. Thanks!
Wow, I was sure that those who already saw it would be mad that I re-posted it! Thanks... It's my only video with added music, but I kind of like it very much too!

Quote:
yup, that's exactly what my dog looks like, but she can almost outrun the plane
Trust me, this one was probable able to outrun the poor Beast as well. I simply flew slow enough to make it run at a good pace, so I could get it tired until I go far away, and safely come back quickly. I checked the dog health mid-flight, simply going way up, the dog sat down watching the airplane, didn't look that tired, so I came back down and did more circuits. At the end, I went very far, and came back on a staight fast line. Well, you can see that even after running the whole flight, that dog followed the airplane back home!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler