HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:20 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
Glad that you guys are learning your lessons..

I once observed a coworker cutting both power cord wires at the same time.

Problem was that the power cord was still plugged in!

And it was live, 110 volts!

We all have our bad days!

He sure was embarrassed, but... lesson learned!
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:37 AM
Joined Jun 2012
91 Posts
So, I'm about to upgrade my trusty Champ with a Trojan/P-51 motor.

I don't have a GSW 5043 (yet), but some 4025, 4040 and 5030.
Is any of those worth a try or should I stay with the stock prop until I get a propper 5043?

Cheers & thanks,
Mac
Mac Smith is online now Find More Posts by Mac Smith
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:36 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,807 Posts
You may want to upgrade with a Bravo SX motor. Look up RCBabbel on RCgroups for details of the motor and prop. He's real got the best motor combos.
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:14 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
I finally took my little Champ out again, been over a year since I'd flown her, and was nearly the last time too.

Walked over to the school football field. Beautiful day, sunny and no wind. Just puttering along at peace with the world.

And then I was attacked!

Pair of bogies snuck in on my 6 and nailed me. Crows who decided the Champ was on their turf.

First one nailed the Champ from above and behind and sent her sprawling and spinning.

Second one dove in for the kill. Except the Champ wasn't going down without a fight.

Pulled a "Top Gun" move on #2, let him close in and slammed on the air brakes, standing the Champ on her tail. #2 had target fixation and nearly plowed into the ground.

And then the Champ lived up to her name. She went medieval on em.

Wounded but not giving up, she went after both of the bogies. And they proved to be the cowards they are. With the tables turned and their victim now fighting back, both ended up running for cover.

And like one of the old war movies the Champ came home on fumes, hit LVC just as she cleared the runway. All shot up but she brought her pilot safely home.

She took a beating, gouges in the wing and top fuse, left wing snapped at the fuse, only thing holding it on was the CF rod and lower covering, even the spinner was gone.

She's in the hangar awaiting repairs. She deserves it. And somewhere there are a pair of crows telling their buds about some little yellow bird who put some whoop ass on em.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:18 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
Its a shame that you didn't get THAT on video!

Glad to hear that the Champ made it home like one...

I have had some curious followings from magpies and crows, but whenever they get sneaky, I just pull a tight roll and wingover, and then they usually leave me alone. Also, since going BL with my latest Champ, the extra whine of the motor also makes 'em think twice!!!

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
You may want to upgrade with a Bravo SX motor. Look up RCBabbel on RCgroups for details of the motor and prop. He's real got the best motor combos.
Thanks for the tip.
Looks promising, and the motors are available here.
When my mustang motor burns up, I'll give it a try.
Mac Smith is online now Find More Posts by Mac Smith
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:52 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Smith View Post
So, I'm about to upgrade my trusty Champ with a Trojan/P-51 motor.

I don't have a GSW 5043 (yet), but some 4025, 4040 and 5030.
Is any of those worth a try or should I stay with the stock prop until I get a propper 5043?

Cheers & thanks,
Mac
The stock prop actually has a noticeable increase in thrust with the motor replacement (did with my solopro anyway).
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:00 AM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
489 Posts
G. G. We also have some crows around our area, but there are red tailed hawks to keep them in check. Like Skycadet mentioned, that encounter would have made a interesting vid.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:49 PM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Buying a new set of foam parts

My Champ had a pretty bad day.
I just got my new Mustang motor, and a Prop Saver+GWS 5043 combo last night.
I had a great flight this morning -- ran a 500mAh battery a good 35 minutes to LVC and several hundred feet up in the air.

That mustang+5043 combo turns the champ into a VERY different flying experience!

So --- later in the day, when it was really much too windy to be flying, I had the brilliant idea to put one of my 25c Venom 150mAh batteries in there, to see what that motor could really do.

I'm sure you all know some version of this story already --- big gusts of wind, fighting to get the plane back to me, and it ended up on the fourth story sloped roof of the apartment building across the parking lot.

The plane landed right side up, so I was hoping I could just fly away --- especially since that tiny battery plus the new motor/prop meant I could hover the plane --- so flying up the sloped roof should've been no problem.

But the prop hit the shingles, and tore the whole gearbox/cowling right off the front of the plane! (Pic below.)

My plane was stuck. I lost one tennis ball trying to dislodge it and gave up.

A few hours later I went back out and found that a neighbor had retrieved the plane and tied it to their deck table. (How thoughtful!!!!)
The 5043 prop is lost forever, in the gutter of that roof. But at least the prop saver kit came with a 5030, too!

Since I have a keychain camera coming in the mail next week, I figured this was the time to finally order up a whole new set of wings/fuse/tail foam and I'm building a whole "new" Champ next week. (And yes, Skycadet, I intend to do the glue-coat procedure on this plane.)
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Last edited by FunkeyMonk; Oct 09, 2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: to let Skycadet know he doesn't need to bother suggesting the white glue mod. I intend to do it!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:12 PM
My dog ate my airplane
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
190 Posts
We are now part of the Champ club, my 7 year old son saved his money "forever" to come up with the $45 that I promised to match him to buy a Champ. We haven't flown of yet, probably this weekend, but I'm subscribed to the thread now and may want to do some mods at some point. I haven't gone through the whole thread yet, but maybe someone knows right off what it might take to upgrade to some inexpensive hobbyking brushless setup? Can the stock brick support a micro brushless ESC, and if so which ones have people had success with?
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:55 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredlin View Post
We are now part of the Champ club, my 7 year old son saved his money "forever" to come up with the $45 that I promised to match him to buy a Champ. We haven't flown of yet, probably this weekend, but I'm subscribed to the thread now and may want to do some mods at some point. I haven't gone through the whole thread yet, but maybe someone knows right off what it might take to upgrade to some inexpensive hobbyking brushless setup? Can the stock brick support a micro brushless ESC, and if so which ones have people had success with?
The Stock Brick won't support an external ESC directly. You need to switch to an AR6400 for that.

The "inexpensive hobby king brushless setups" are actually more expesnsive and less powerful than simply adding a Mustang motor, unless you convert to 2S.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:20 PM
My dog ate my airplane
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
190 Posts
Well if the stock brick can't accept a brushless ESC then it sounds like the micro P-51 motor is definitely the way to go to get a little more power, buying a whole new brick is certainly not worth it for an $89 RTF airplane. Thanks for the helpful advice.
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:01 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredlin View Post
Welcome to the club! You know, for your 7 year old the Champ is really a great little plane. Why not let him experience it as is? Stable and forgiving, it's no slouch.
Good luck and have FUN
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:48 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,912 Posts
@sredlin, there is one "must do" mod I would take care of before taking to the skies. Using a little CA or Sally Hansen Hard as Nails (clear), dab the end of the landing gear axle with a few coats to form a hard teardrop at the end. This will prevent the little hub from popping off and even the wheel from popping off and losing it. I also did the inside to keep the wheel straight. But, coating the outside axle is the most important (i also did the rear wheel). Hope you have fun. It's a great little plane. IMHO, make sure you maiden it with winds under 5 mph so you can properly trim it. Also, it will make your first flight more enjoyable

@FunkeyMonk Bummer about your Champ man. Well, at least you got it back. BTW, what is the "glue coat procedure."?

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:13 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
Glad to hear it!!!

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!