SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:27 PM
saint petersburg fl
Joined Aug 2008
346 Posts
Discussion
jhh f-4 phantom edf

has anybody flown a jhh f-4 phantom yet with there e-turbax fan? id like to know how it performes because mine is about ready to go.

thanks...mike
maverick pro is offline Find More Posts by maverick pro
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:07 PM
United States, MA, Hadley
Joined Oct 2006
222 Posts
Geez Mike, post some pics!!! I have one sitting here on the bench and am wondering if I want to build it or not??
nighthawk117 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk117
Old Nov 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
saint petersburg fl
Joined Aug 2008
346 Posts
sorry....
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:05 PM
saint petersburg fl
Joined Aug 2008
346 Posts
thankfuly mine was semi built. im just doing the finishing work and the linkage install. but from what i see has to be done to build it looks like a pain. but finished resaults make it well worth it. its about ready for some spray primer and color. the gear is set up for sport spring air gear. i think i will order the scale gear struts from larry when the time comes.

thanks...mike
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:22 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,605 Posts
i have one too and have been wondering if i should E-bax it or twin 90mm or hw609 it i think but am not certin that the fan has to be moved aft so it will c/g with batts? does any one know ...i thought there was a conversion thread in here somwhere.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:35 PM
United States, MA, Hadley
Joined Oct 2006
222 Posts
Mike, Looks great! always looks better partially build than in kit form.
nighthawk117 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk117
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:01 PM
saint petersburg fl
Joined Aug 2008
346 Posts
thanks guys...i think dual fans would be cool but to keep it simple im going single fan. ive seen the dual conversion fly and man it did good, e-terbax or bvm not really sure yet. i have 4 jets than can take the bvm fan so maybe to save a littel money i could use one unit for all 4 jets. larry wolf said the phantom would be a rocket on 12s and his fan. i will weigh it with paint servos and gear and see what fan will do best. but edf for sure no more pistons for me.

....mike
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:45 PM
saint petersburg fl
Joined Aug 2008
346 Posts
more filler prim....
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
The RC Geek
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,540 Posts
Cool Mike! Is this the one that was for sale on RCU? It looked to be VERY nicely built and listed for a really good price.

The F-4 should RIP on a 12s E-Turbax. The performance from that system is pretty sweet. I've looked at the EDF installation for the F-4 (I have one hanging up in my shop partially built ) and it appears that you should be able to place the batteries on either side of the fan through the top fan hatch. With the single fan in there, there is plenty of room for batteries.

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:24 PM
saint petersburg fl
Joined Aug 2008
346 Posts
hey chris...thanks. yeah it was on rcu. yeah single fan for sure to keep it under weight. your dad said the same thing about the 12s setup. the guy who built the jet cut the gear out in the wing for sport setup instead of the scale layout. will your scale gear fit that setup? it was all done for spring air gear. i need to get a build manual also just to have and help with the finishing.

are you going to do an electric setup on your phantom? have you seen one fly yet with your fan?

thanks...mike
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:53 PM
USA, NY, Corning
Joined Jul 2000
253 Posts
Mike,

(Unless Chris corrects me) you can purchase scale gear from RC Crafters . It will fit in the sport scale location. I've got one of these kits as well (nib). Been tinkering with it this fall. The real effort will start next week (after my knee surgery). I've been sanding the wing tips on and off for a couple weeks now. I used to miss building Royal kits until I started sanding the airfoil shape on these babies. I think JHH bought the balsa from royal for the tips (j/k).

I have the gear from RC Crafters and I'll have a couple pictures up on my web site later this week (again, after surgery). I've got the 12s e-bax now, but I've been hoping to get a stumax to put in it. Doesn't look like it will get here on time though...

Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:08 PM
saint petersburg fl
Joined Aug 2008
346 Posts
thanks sounds good. the gear look great on there site. yeah i was lucky to find a built jhh f-4. i think the guy told me the horizontal stabs are from a yellow aircraft f-4. i think he did that because the yellows are shaped with the droop built in. maybe wrong about that though.

i got the rest os the fuse in prim tonight should be ready to sand it all down next couple of days.

thanks...mike
Last edited by maverick pro; Nov 19, 2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:08 PM
USA, NY, Corning
Joined Jul 2000
253 Posts
I went on my sons school field trip today and when I got back home the mail man was parked in my driveway. I suspected he brought me this...

and I was right. Of course now I need to re-pack it so it can go under the Christmas tree.

I've got the wingtips about finished and I've played some with the ducting. Once past the holidays I'll get going with a bit more speed on this project. Just don't expect me to go as fast as Corsair Nut with his cougar build, though I do hope to have it flying next summer. I'll update my web site as I build it, and I'll post here too on occasion.

web site

Last edited by Checkmate; Dec 10, 2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:34 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,444 Posts
I have a JHH F-4 coming as well and I'm interested in the 12S E-Turbax set up so I'm signing in!
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Dec 10, 2008, 05:00 PM
USA, NY, Corning
Joined Jul 2000
253 Posts
I think the 12S e-turbax is a great choice for the F-4. It's going to haul !!