SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:19 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
324 Posts
Discussion
Used Validol for someone new to DLG?

I'm sure this is opening a can of worms, but any thoughts would help.
I'm new to DLG, except for a few sessions with my Libelle, which I'm really enjoying. I got it as an entry level flyer. (and because I couldn't find a used Blaster 3).

A used (great condition), well built Validol has become available locally. Will need to decide quickly. There are some great local DLG pilots that are willing to help with my learning curve. Local competition is available if I ever get to that point.

My overall non-DLG taste usually goes more toward floaty more so than speed. That's one of the reasons I was interested in a Blaster 3. But with DLG I'm guessing that float vs speed is very relative.

I'm not a great thermaller now, but really want to get better. Seems like my current thermalling skills (with Radian) consist of luck and looking for vultures.

Any thoughts regarding a used Validol as an entry?
Other options are holding out for something else used -- maybe.
Building a new Blaster 3 or 3.5.

Of course I'm trying to find the "perfect" DLG for me rather than starting a collection.
Thanks
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:33 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,654 Posts
Ty,

I don't think you can find "the perfect" DLG for you, until you've tried a few!

I would get the Validol if I were you. It sounds like you have enough experience with other ships to know how to fly and launch. I'm sure the local seller will help you out with settings for the Validol.

Compared to a B3, the Validol will launch higher and have more legs-if you put the nose down, it can really move out. However, it still slows down quite readily with camber. I don't think it's THAT much faster than a B3. Just generally has a higher L/D so can cover more ground for the same altitude lost.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Feb 10, 2015, 02:10 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,455 Posts
The Validol is a good ship. Very sturdy (solid core wing) and flys great. At 67 years lazy & not in shape I can get mine to 150 ft quite easily.

Go for it.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Feb 10, 2015, 02:22 PM
Lovin Life!!
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Apr 2013
996 Posts
Most importantly, The Validol is TOUGH AS NAILS!! its a very resilient bird. You'll love the performance as well!
FlyingGorilla83 is online now Find More Posts by FlyingGorilla83
Old Feb 10, 2015, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,682 Posts
More important than the Validol, is the support of local flyers who are willing to coach you along. The ship isn't important - the local support is critical.

Go for it!

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Feb 10, 2015, 02:49 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
324 Posts
Thanks for the advice!
The durability is definitely a plus.
I'll try to lock this purchase in.
Ty
Old Feb 10, 2015, 04:39 PM
Plastic Buddha
Joined Oct 2005
2,751 Posts
Yep, do it! I got a Validol as my second DLG after the Libelle. The first time you throw it, you will be gob smacked and will probably let out a little squeal of delight.

EDIT: Oh, and I see you like floaty...the Validol and well probably any of the top end DLG's will float like a leaf as long as they're not built or ballasted too heavy. Very easy and forgiving type of plane to fly.

Just watch for orientation issues with these (usually) mostly black ships.
aftica is offline Find More Posts by aftica
Old Feb 10, 2015, 04:43 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,239 Posts
Love my Validol and yes it will be a great DLG for anyone.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Feb 10, 2015, 04:53 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,455 Posts
Mine has the fluorescent green tips and tails, and is very easy to see at extreme heights and distances. And very easy to fly.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Feb 10, 2015, 04:54 PM
2015 USA F3K Team Manager
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
2,188 Posts
Validol is a solid airplane. So is the Polaris.
Doug Cronkhite is online now Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:18 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
324 Posts
Thanks again for the advice. This thread will be very handy when I explain the sound wisdom of a new glider purchase to my wife.
Silly lady probably thinks one without a motor would be less money than one with a motor.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:47 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
3,649 Posts
What is the going price for a good condition DLG of the Validol flight quality range?
500 PNP?
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:47 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,654 Posts
Define good condition?

These airframes have the same wing as the Stream (which several very competitive fliers are taking to Worlds). They were ~$650 with the Kevlar wing and are $700 with the carbon wing for the bare airframe new. I would think one with an intact wing, fuselage and maybe some minor tail blemishes, plus a pro build, would still fetch $600+ for a PNP version.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Feb 11, 2015, 02:53 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
324 Posts
Maybe I should have beat him up for another hundred dollars ... the price is $700. Part of the reason it feels like the right thing to do is that it should hold its value fairly well. And because of the build quality according to someone who's seen it.
Yes, minor stabilizer blemish is apparently the only damage.

But I don't have it yet. Haven't been able to connect in person.

The best news: I just found a city owned mowed floodplain area near work that I didn't know about. Clear flight area, quick to get to, 100 yards from parking, and just me and the occasional biker. Gonna be great.
Last edited by TyFlies; Feb 11, 2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 04:11 PM
Plastic Buddha
Joined Oct 2005
2,751 Posts
I would say that $700 is a fair price...IF that minor blemish is just that (definitions vary), the electronics suite is good stuff and the build is done properly. I'm only saying that because these things are hard to come by right now. If they become as popular as other RC stuff, then you could expect a real hard time getting 50cents on your dollar regardless of condition.

If the plane is all it's said to be, you will be impressed!
aftica is offline Find More Posts by aftica