HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2015, 04:33 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
909 Posts
Get a RAL chart and match the color you need. Than paint a thick coat of paint (relative to the original paint thickness and blend it in to the surronding clor.
To repair the white, find yourself a neerest shade of gray that fits (the closest one out of the 50 ).
For the yellow, find yourself a grayish yellow close enough.
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2015, 06:59 PM
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2013
407 Posts
I have done color matching on my planes several times. Here is an example. Ignore the carnage in the after photo and just look at the wing!

The center panel of the wing when I bought it had been spray painted with red stripes. The paint was pretty thick. I sanded down the red to the carbon. Then I started adding very thin coats of acrylic enamel. There are probably 30 to 50 coats of color to get it to finally match. The color isn't straight yellow. As I remember the color is a combination of yellow, orange, black and white. With each coat I would adjust the mix, slowly getting it closer to the original color. When I was done the paint added at most a couple of grams.

I realize this method won't work for everyone. I am very good at color matching and I already had paint I could use. But if you want to try it I recommend thin coats and lots of them.

Tom
Imageek2 is online now Find More Posts by Imageek2
Old Feb 28, 2015, 05:42 AM
Joined Jul 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
There are probably 30 to 50 coats of color to get it to finally match.

Tom
WOW.
Neil Jones is offline Find More Posts by Neil Jones
Old Mar 01, 2015, 11:38 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
I have done color matching on my planes several times. Here is an example. Ignore the carnage in the after photo and just look at the wing!

The center panel of the wing when I bought it had been spray painted with red stripes. The paint was pretty thick. I sanded down the red to the carbon. Then I started adding very thin coats of acrylic enamel. There are probably 30 to 50 coats of color to get it to finally match. The color isn't straight yellow. As I remember the color is a combination of yellow, orange, black and white. With each coat I would adjust the mix, slowly getting it closer to the original color. When I was done the paint added at most a couple of grams.

I realize this method won't work for everyone. I am very good at color matching and I already had paint I could use. But if you want to try it I recommend thin coats and lots of them.

Tom
That handiwork looks familiar! Lol!

Jun
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Mar 02, 2015, 07:55 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,155 Posts
Paint Charts

Guys,

Here is a RAL Color Chart I have found. Still the best job of color matching I have done has been to take a part into a place here is Wichita KS called Car Color and have had them match the color for me. They will also put the paint in a Rattle Can for me as well. Here is a link to a repair I did on an Orca a few years ago.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=orca+wing

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave