HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:58 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,783 Posts
Man, I was not able to get a 4 blade spinner today Tony. Hey, thanks for dropping prop at Kens today. I will stop at Willis Hobby tomorrow and leave money. The cute girl at Tru turn named Amanda was real helpful and I'll have one in no time. I did look at carbon spinners and Zoar props, they had kickazz carbon props but couldn't bite the bullet, money's tight or spent on needs instead of things I just like. Funny. I've built entire planes around a motor, spinner & prop or cool landing gear. I was so tempted to sell my second mustang with scale cockpit and canopy that I ordered.
Then I said to myself, what if I live up to the name?......I need a backup. Sooooo......I guess my next build is the mustang or this cold spell needs to break? Tony, I'll post later the video I took today of WRAM just after the public started to roll in. Today was much slower than Saturday and you didn't miss much......except for that girl that took off her #@#@%# and got on the stage with planes doing $#%$#$......just Crazy! I think if that really happened, I'd be still there throwing bills on stage.
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Last edited by Cr@sh; Mar 02, 2015 at 08:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:58 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,651 Posts
T...thanks for the WRAM update, glad I didn't miss anything.....I almost got a few flights in on the way home from Willis at Overlook Beach off ocean parkway.....but the gates were locked.

I sent you a PM...

Tony
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2015, 01:39 AM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,783 Posts
right on...he he, I test the water everywhere until I hear, Sir ,looks cool but I cant let you fly that here. I'm gonna have to ask you to leave. ...... that's why it's good to always carry lollypops to give out. Come on man, who can turn down a tootsie roll pop. LOL. the first week when I bought my Audi S5 I went to Ocean parkway at two in the morning. From jones beach tower to captree I had radar and checked for wildlife before screaming back maxed at 171 mph..... or back to tower in a little over 3 minutes. My speedo limits at 165 but my GPS said 171......it felt like 85 maybe 90 cause it's so quite and smooth....... Just once, never again. Why is it that I always realize it was stupid after the fact? all it takes is one deer. You have to see what a seagull did once to a friends car, destroyed the whole roof and went into cabin threw windshield. my pal was scared shaking and head was bleeding too. Dumb azz bird.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 06:54 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,734 Posts
With respect, a guy nick named "Crash" probably shouldn't be driving that fast away from a race track....,,,

That said, I tested the limits a bit too in the past with my Corvettes........
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Feb 24, 2015, 01:13 AM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,783 Posts
What, Now you tell me !
Tony, this biela prop is the cats meow with this true turn spinner that I forgot I had. I have to make this work! How about the power 50 BL that I gutted from the carbon z cub. Ken also has a power 60 with my name on it in store?????..... ya think if I throw the whistle away the plane can lift with a power 60? Tony, an idea? I was thinking of getting a wood Zinger four blade and laminating carbon and gel coat to keep light , whats your take? I could also make a plug and try making a carbon/ kevlar 4 blade but these days, free time and breaking out equipment is tuff.
Last edited by Cr@sh; Mar 02, 2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:27 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr@sh View Post
Tony, an idea? I was thinking of getting a wood Zinger four blade and laminating carbon and gel coat to keep light , whats your take? I could also make a plug and try making a carbon/ kevlar 4 blade but these days, free time and breaking out equipment is tuff.
T....Sounds like a time intensive project, unfortunately with a 4 blade, it seems you pic the prop then find a motor that will spin it efficiently....not an easy task .

Terry....when you get a chance ....can you take a look at the stock e-flite prop adapter that goes with the spinner....it's made for a 5mm shaft, I was wondering if it could be drilled out to 6mm or even 8mm ??? as that would open up a lot more motors.

At the moment I haven't found any P-51 style aluminum spinners in a 3" diameter....As I wanted to possibly use a 4 blade on 6S and achieve in flight speed above 80mph....
I did it with the FMS 1450mm P-51, but this e-flite seems to be more of a challenge, and who knows, maybe that FMS 4258 -550 motor on 6S might be the ticket because the FMS prop is a 14X8.... although the whole prop/spinner assembly is light and made of plastic.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2015, 05:54 AM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,783 Posts
Maxx makes a nice light 3" spinner, the only drag is you have to cut two slots for two more blades.....for you it's easy with a dremel, just make sure you balance afterwards. Eflite 3" comes with a 5 and 6 mil collet., The stock one? I tried drilling a few bigger and some worked and some didn't You need to be exact with that drill bit and also not exceed the length of hole. A vice and press still moves a tad and that all it needs to be off balance.It's like it wants just one cut when drilling, not re-drilling or honing out. ^ mil is ok drilling but up to 8mil, that might be pushing it with the amount of material. Tru turn also makes electric spinners now with these cuts in cone for airflow. They are lighter with less aluminum and back plate has openings for airflow over esc.
Man, if you pull this off, I want to see the video or tell me when your heading out with it, I'll join ya! I'm starting build nu #3. Hows the BL 50 or power 60 sound?.......or did I mean 160 ? You may need a little more epoxy for that motor cage ya think.
Last edited by Cr@sh; Feb 25, 2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 06:00 AM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,162 Posts
Cool project !... I was looking at the FMS main LG, there shock absorbing and was wondering if anyone had tried using them yet or are they worth trying ? .... DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Feb 25, 2015, 06:19 AM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,783 Posts
I think the wheels are 1/2 inch bigger and the doors and wheels won't fit in wells. Maybe some with a FMS can chime in? I also don't think the planes weight are the same, so the retract might not handle the loading. Foam and this kit are much different.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 04:51 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,162 Posts
Quote:
I think the wheels are 1/2 inch bigger and the doors and wheels won't fit in wells. Maybe some with a FMS can chime in? I also don't think the planes weight are the same, so the retract might not handle the loading. Foam and this kit are much different.
True, I hadnt thought about the weight issue ! I just liked the look of them. I will have to take a close look at the Robart struts with shock.... DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:17 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,783 Posts
Please, don't just go by what I said . I not 100% sure and guys like myself fabricate things to work, out side of a normal approach to modifying something. There's a line I won;t cross though, Duck tape is never used and monkey glue does not fix everything. Try making them work before just giving up. I own not one FMS model so, I have "No Experience" with their product other than buying the prop blades or tailwheel I ordered. I started building nu# 3 and may leave it stock to keep light as possible. This model is heavy and with upgrades, it becomes a brick, but cuts threw wind like butter, once dialed in of course! I really hate fixed landing gear, especially on this model. I also don't think I need HS 65 metal gear all the way around, the rudder for sure...... the servo's and even the spinner were not to hard to find at lighter specs, so like each build...... it gets easier and better each time. Take your time cause it brutal outside and your in no hurry. Enjoy building this model cause if set up like its supposed to, it's very rewarding to own. I had lots of comments and I've seem mustangs with lots more money put in that don't draw them in like this does. Happy flying!
Old Mar 01, 2015, 09:39 AM
If you got 'em, fly 'em
United States, TX, The Woodlands
Joined Aug 2009
250 Posts
Rip p-51 b

Tip stalled on takeoff. A least I got a good 20 flights out of her. Always flew this bird with a good amount of authority.

Off to the curb with the rest of the garbage for Monday pickup.
edubs2121 is offline Find More Posts by edubs2121
Last edited by edubs2121; Mar 01, 2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 06:38 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,783 Posts
AW MAN ! Sorry about your loss there . I'm figuring if she does electronically fail in any way, mine is done to. There is no gliding this plane and it's a brick outside of the recommendations required for this model. I went all out with extras and lets say, your taking it pretty good cause I'd be upset. I bet if you had a second one, you'll know all the things needed to make this plane suit your needs...... without all the risks as to avoid the deadly tip stall. Again, sorry for your mishap.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:45 AM
If you got 'em, fly 'em
United States, TX, The Woodlands
Joined Aug 2009
250 Posts
P-51 Crash

Quote:
AW MAN ! Sorry about your loss there . I'm figuring if she does electronically fail in any way, mine is done to. There is no gliding this plane and it's a brick outside of the recommendations required for this model. I went all out with extras and lets say, your taking it pretty good cause I'd be upset. I bet if you had a second one, you'll know all the things needed to make this plane suit your needs...... without all the risks as to avoid the deadly tip stall. Again, sorry for your mishap.

I apprecaite the kind words. Quite frankly, this is the one bird that made me very nervous and it's rather difficult to enjoy the moment when you are so concerned about crashing.

On a positive note, one of the other members at our RC club has a P-51 B as well. He's been watching intently, asking questions, and preparing for his maiden. So, I sincerely hope he does not make the same mistakes I, and others, have over the past couple of years.
edubs2121 is offline Find More Posts by edubs2121
Old Mar 02, 2015, 09:09 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,783 Posts
Have you noticed in thread, many have either no longer have plane because of a crash or, they sold kit after reading how touchy it is. I feel the reward is much greater when you finally work out all the bugs with this model. It's a great designed model and requires a more skilled pilot and builders like yourself, and the few others I've come across ........ you had 20 successful flights, I know many that never made it off the ground. LOL. Still a shame you lost, even siting on bench it looks better than most mustangs.....you know, the foamy ones of course. Why don't you try and help him get off the ground?....... the over reacting concern sometimes gets you in trouble just from nerves......tell him to relax and not fear the worst. I'm sure he can enjoy the model .....with maybe a little help from a fellow owner and club member. I picked up a lot from thread but the actual maiden was scary as hell..... till I just said F#@& $%. All the doubt and stress was undeserving around this kit. It's well made and if kept stock, it performs as stated like all EFlite designs. I own quite a bit from EFlite...... and if there was and issue with any of their lineup, Horizon and EFlite stand behind their products with great support and customer service. I kinda wished they designed a few more mustang models besides the B in balsa. Have your pal post his success with his mustang and you do the filming of maiden????.......
Last edited by Cr@sh; Mar 02, 2015 at 09:15 PM.