SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2014, 04:35 PM
Joined May 2014
8 Posts
Discussion
Simple large scale bike help please

I am trying to create a radio control 1:6 scale BSA motorbike and sidecar combination.

I have seen several BMW combinations based on a RC model from China but as I don't want to buy wholesale quantities I am trying to find one from somewhere else.

It doesn't have to be 1:6 scale as I can do some modifications but as close as possible would be helpful.

I have tried to put a "Thunder Tumbler stunt car" RC unit in the sidecar but I can't work out a simple steering setup so would like to adapt the RC parts from a scale RC motorbike instead.

I have looked around for a suitable donor bike here in the UK with no luck so far.
Any help will be very much appreciated,
Bern

The image is of the Thunder Tumbler RC unit inside the sidecar. It goes back and forward but there is no steering with this set up.
InvictaJ26 is offline Find More Posts by InvictaJ26
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2014, 12:34 AM
I'm hooked on RC Moto
Berkeley
Joined Jun 2006
1,145 Posts
This should be simple,

It will steer like a car, if the forks move.

So just throw a tiny servo on it and tie a rod to the fork.

If the forks don't move it will be somewhat more complicated.
stubbyphilips is offline Find More Posts by stubbyphilips
Old May 09, 2014, 08:54 AM
Joined May 2014
8 Posts
Stubby,
Thank you for such a quick and helpful reply.
I am fairly new to all things related to RC vehicles but I understand what you are saying.

My problem is I don't understand how all the various parts of a radio control system work together.

So I am going to buy a Nikko RC Cross bike and see if I can take all the components and adapt them for my BSA.
If it then runs too fast I assume the simplest solution would be for me to just get a smaller battery?

Nikko Cross bike example http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new
Bern
Old May 09, 2014, 10:23 AM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvictaJ26 View Post
So I am going to buy a Nikko RC Cross bike and see if I can take all the components and adapt them for my BSA.
If it then runs too fast I assume the simplest solution would be for me to just get a smaller battery?

Nikko Cross bike example http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new
Bern
I would suggest that you don't do this. That bike won't contain what you need for your project. Starting with an R/C motorcycle may sound like the way to go because you're project is also a motorcycle, but r/c bikes don't use a "normal" servo to control the steering. They have to allow the steering to slip to balance. If you were going to adapt any type of toy grade r/c - Nikko, etc. you'd probably be better off starting with a car/truck.

However, you'd have a better chance at success if you purchase a standard r/c radio and speed control.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flysky-FS-GT...SGG8X8BVXCGQN2

And a micro servo like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Towerpro-SG9...ds=micro+servo

Are you intending to keep the "Thunder Tumbler stunt car" to move the bike forward and reverse and just add steering? Or are you looking to replace that as well?

Dave
dmincin is online now Find More Posts by dmincin
Old May 09, 2014, 11:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
519 Posts
Hi start here READ,,http://balsabusters.warp0.com/RADIOS.html

You will need to try and understand RC's and all the components that go with them from radio- receiver-batterys-servos- esc It is not that difficult but some think its molecular science and their is alot of LIES in the rc industry and people that talk and are totally clueless. if you want I will give you my number and I will walk u thru all this.. TnT

also view this as I posted a stick style radio.. and this is for a pistol grip style Im sure thats what you'll use..
R/C Car Radio-Control Basics (13 min 50 sec)
tntpoof is offline Find More Posts by tntpoof
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 09, 2014, 11:49 AM
Joined May 2014
8 Posts
dmincin,
The Thunder Tumblercan go. It was just a cheap way of me testing an idea to see whether I could get the independent axles on the Tumbler to steer my BSA combination.
I put a ball bearing coaster underneath to act as a omnidirectional wheel. Result = combination runs forward and back fine but no steering as the bike works against the sidecar.

I will look at the items you suggest.

TNT,
Yes, that's my problem in a nutshell.
So many options/ technical stuff/opinions.
Last year I put a 1:6 scale Willys Jeep body on an Electrix Boost chassis that I modified slightly. It was mind bending trying to find out how to make the Boost go slower until a chap at Time Tunnel Models told me to simply replace the 20T motor with a 70T.
Time Tunnel are here in the UK. http://www.goldstarstockists.com (I'm not affiliated to them just a happy customer).
I'll start reading then might give you a call.
All the help is very much appreciated as I am taking the BSA to this years Vintage Action Man (VAME) meeting in Quorn, Leicestershire, in June and having it fully running would be a big bonus as at the moment my LED lights work, the machine gun flickers, the figures "talk" but the combination will only run in straight lines!
Bern
Old May 09, 2014, 12:29 PM
Joined May 2014
8 Posts
Having looked at the links provided I am unclear on how to make a car configuration work for my motorbike and sidecar combination.

Here are my thoughts.
Question. Steering
As I understand things I could replace a standard servo and components with a micro servo to steer the front wheel.
e.g. By positioning a micro servo inside the petrol tank of the bike and linking it to the front forks/yolks.
Are all servos interchangeable?

Question. Drive
How can I simply adapt the drive motor from a car?
e.g. Cut the chassis down, fit the drive parts inside the combination and only have a single wheel running.

Question.
Where to put all the associated bits e.g. Receiver, ESC, battery, etc

Question.
Am I thinking along the right lines regarding the above points?

When I did my 1:6 scale RC Jeep conversion last year I found a reasonably cheap standard ready to run kit with an RC chassis that fitted with minimum modifications which is how I chose an Electrix Boost.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what RC car, controller, receiver, (ready to run kit) I might try as my donor for my BSA combination please?
Dimensions (Inches):
Length Height Width
Bike 12 7 1 1/2
Sidecar 9 4 1/2 3 1/2
Gap between bike and sidecar = 11/2
Weight = I'm not sure but its not heavy as a Thunder Tumbler moves it easily enough.

Many thanks for taking the time to help me with this,
Bern
Old May 09, 2014, 12:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
519 Posts
Ok as i read ur last post.. you have throttle forward and reverse.. 2nd channel on most pistol grip radios.. u need to steer this channel 1 on most radios.. u also have lights and machine gun and voice.. those are 3 other channels so now u need a 5 channel radio with a rx to match..

ch1-steering
ch2-Throttle f/r
ch3-machine gun
ch4-lights
ch5 -Voice

So am i on course or off ? so if On you need a 6 channel radio ..with rx..This radio will work for you .2.4GHz
6CH T6EHP-E Channel R/C Radio Control Transmitter $60 us ..
Most servos use the same plug 3 wire ...+ pos...-Neg..^ signal... some have a tab wires are different colors but all in all same thing..
So esc you will need one unless u have one already.. as for location .I think its time to frankenstein ur side car man.cut him in half or above and attach him to a piece of plastic u can camo to look like a skirt(old sidecar lingo). use the side car for all your electronics as I do not know the size or this... are those 1" tiles in back ground or 3".. a over all size helps in this mod..
how is it forward controlled now ?

There are other options for turning .. you can use a servo to put brake on 1 wheel say right side then cycle will turn right to go left servo swings other way.. not sure on your mechanical skill level is but can be done or 2 motors one on each wheel and controlled thru 2 esc's and radio..
I do not know what motor or how it is connected on this NOW..
Pull apart so I can see motor ..
Last edited by tntpoof; May 09, 2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old May 09, 2014, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2014
8 Posts
TNT,
Sorry for causing this confusion.
My BSA combination is very much more basic than this.
Steering = Currently none
Throttle f/r = Thunder Tumbler toy stunt car (which is currently in the sidecar). The controller has two joysticks side by side which control each wheel
Each joystick = forward and reverse.
So on the Tumbler you can drive, steer and spin by using each joystick in unison or opposition.
Machine gun = Simple manually operated on/off circuit using a (watch) battery cell and LED
Lights = Simple manually operated on/off circuit using a (watch) battery cell and LED
Voice = I've adapted an ordinary manually operated MP3 player and added a very small speaker.

The only part of this I would like to have radio controlled is the drive and steering.

My apologies,
Bern
Old May 09, 2014, 01:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
519 Posts
Ok.. the pics help.. you have a old school 27mhz system..
I would buy a cheap 1/16 scale motor and esc combo
as i can not see motor hookup I can not tell 4 sure..
adding a servo should be easy to install in fuel tank with rod thru tank to forks .will have to make a bracket for that to connect to.. but a 2 cell li-ion 18650 looks to fit in sidecar along with esc to run motor and rx..as far as slowing it down get a radio with endpoint adjustment so you can limit the speed..
Old May 09, 2014, 02:49 PM
Joined May 2014
8 Posts
TNT,
Thank you for your time and suggestions.
I've now got something I can understand to work with.

Radio with endpoint adjustment.
I have now seen a number of 1/16 scale radio control buggys/truggys/etc on eBay. (Any recommendations?)
If I bought and modified such a ready to run kit I would then need to buy a micro servo.
Also if I bought a separate radio with endpoint adjustment to control the speed am I right in thinking that it would be relatively simple to tune it into the frequency of the vehicle's receivers for channel 1 (steer) and 2 (drive)?

Your help has been very much appreciated.
I'll post back with progress.
Have a good weekend,
Bern
Last edited by InvictaJ26; May 09, 2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:21 PM
Joined May 2014
8 Posts
Update.

This project stopped due to moving house.

I am looking to resume this shortly,
Bern